Mossberg Maverick 88 at Dicks

It's a very rattle-y gun. Loose fitting parts, cruddy finish, hollow plastic furniture.
With that said... That's what makes the maverick 88 the reliable little beater that it is.

All Mossy 500s are rattley. They do the job and do it well. I'd pick up a Maverick if I didn't already have a 18.5" 500.

The reviews on sites like Buds (Cruds) speak for itself.

I was going to pick up one of these a few weeks back. When I went into the Dick's in North Attleboro I was told by the clerk that they no longer carry the 18" security model, only the field model. Thought that was strange.

Why would you tell someone not to go to Dicks? I shopped around for weeks looking for a Mossberg 500 20G for my son. Local shops were selling USED mossy 500s with only the bird barrel for MORE than I paid at Dicks for the same gun brand new with a bird barrel and rifled slug barrel. Is Dicks kind of a PIA to deal with......yes and no.......if you know what you want and can deal with the "criminal walk" to the front door I find no reason not to save well over 100 dollars on a bread and butter shot gun!

Because Dicks showed it's true 2A stance the moment they pulled all the black rifles off the shelf after Sandy Hook
Because Dicks collects unnecessary information in the process of selling you ammunition
There was a third one, but apparently Troy Industries is just as bad as Dicks in regards to the 2A stance.

I was going to pick up one of these a few weeks back. When I went into the Dick's in North Attleboro I was told by the clerk that they no longer carry the 18" security model, only the field model. Thought that was strange.

The older gentlemen in the NA store told me they can order any gun that's in the book. We were discussing mossie shotguns.

I got one from Dicks, runs fine so far (1 range trip [laugh].) It holds 5 in the mag, one in the chamber, and comes with the plug that makes it only hold 2 or 3. I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it, and swivel studs since it doesn't come with them. None of y'all better compete with me for an unrifled 'slugster barrel' off ebay.

Shotties are fun.

I bought my 88 in '88 for $149 IIRC. :D
Mine is the field model... Buddy of mine wanted to take me on my first dove hunt. We had a blast, and we bagged many.

Still runs great, and I just picked up a Moss500 18" barrel and pistol grip for it. :)

I got mine from Sport's Authority a couple of years ago for about $180 on sale. I bought it for home defense and it works great. I had never fired a shotgun before (I'm basically a handgun guy) so I had a friend of mine who shoots skeet competitively teach me how to shoot it. He was impressed with the gun for the price and he's got a bunch of expensive shotguns. If you're looking for an inexpensive shotgun it's great for the price.

Got mine (18") for $180 at dicks. Great, great, shotty for the money.

That said, buying guns at dicks sucks dick. It always takes an hour.

Your results were quite different from mine. I was out the door in 30 minutes from the time I said "I want that one"......that was at the Danvers store. However don't expect to get much good advice from the clerk.......just know what you want before you go in.

If you don't mind they are a dishonest company that doesn't honor contractual obligations because of social pressures.

I have been looking for a shotgun - a cheap shotgun - for a little while.

I picked up the last 88 in the Nashua store. Very little hassle - and while I was there the clerk handed a box of 9mm to a customer and there was no walk of shame up to the register for him. The kid/clerk helping me out even seemed to know what he was talking about. Thirty minutes top from start to finish.

I've already named it "The Biden".

Got mine (18") for $180 at dicks. Great, great, shotty for the money.

That said, buying guns at dicks sucks dick. It always takes an hour.
I know a guy who did the same thing and spent about the same amount of cash as you did. Got the Maverick 88 and a couple of boxes of OO buck shells and keeps them at his family's camp in Maine. Good, inexpensive and effective camp shotgun!

Back
Top Bottom