Mossberg Maverick 88 at Dicks

I've got a Mav 88, thoroughly enjoy shooting it... can't really go wrong with it, great price and the aftermarket accessories are all over the place for these, they're like the Tippman 98 of shotguns

I had one for a while. It's basically an inexpensive version of the venerable Mossberg 500. Many (most?) of the same accessories are compatible and it's a reliable but inexpensive shotgun. Good value IMHO.

If your really hard up for cash it not a bad deal but I just thing the extra $60 for the 500 is the way to go.

Just found this online :
The only difference between the MV88 and Mossy 500 is the trigger/safety, the rear stock has now swivel stud attachment, and the forearm design. The MV's have a one piece forearm that comes pre-pinned and the 500 has a 3 piece forearm which consists of: Forearm, Action Slide Assembly Tube, and tube nut. The MV88 are cheaper but when you need to buy a barrelf for it, it'll be the same as the 500 and they cost the same as a new MV88! They are not made in China, they are made in EAgle Pass.

I think the real savings for the Maverick comes that the parts are produced in Mexico and assembled in the US.

Buy what you can afford, and hope it all works okay.

Also, it appears the Maverick safety is on the trigger guard, which makes converting the Maverick to a pistol grip a better option. A pistol grip with the tang safety on the Mossberg 500 can be awkward.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why?

Kind of a trick question because I would be lying if I said it much more than just "feel" but here goes.

First, I am a lefty and the safety location is important to me. I don't think the forearm issue is really important to me but for $60 to get wood furniture and a little more polish around the edges, I'll take it.

If your really hard up for cash it not a bad deal but I just thing the extra $60 for the 500 is the way to go.
I prefer the maverick over the Mossberg. The Maverick has a crossbolt safety whilst the Mossberg has a top tang safety.
For the price point. The Maverick is the best value.
I've got several thousand rounds through mine, without a hiccup. I shoot trap with a guy who has a bottom end Remington 870, (he owns other 870s) And he is not happy with the fit and finish of it.

I prefer the maverick over the Mossberg. The Maverick has a crossbolt safety whilst the Mossberg has a top tang safety.
I've got several thousand rounds through mine, without a hiccup. I shoot trap with a guy who has a bottom end Remington 870, (he owns other 870s) And he is not happy with the fit and finish of it.

They are both Mossbergs. See my post #12

maverick 88 was the first firearm i purchased, basically for home defense (at my lgs -$260 2-1/2 years ago)the dick's version doesn't hold as many 2-3/4 shells and doesn't come with the optional pistol grip last time i checked. that being said it's a good price and you can pick up the ati scorpion pistol grip on amazon for about $40-$50. makes a huge difference in recoil absorbtion. i bought the full tactical version ati stock for about $85 and now wish i only bought the pistol grip. live and learn.

high quality low cost hedgeclipper. works for me

Last edited:

Trap with the barrel that comes with it? Are there any different barrel choices on the MV88?

It's a very rattle-y gun. Loose fitting parts, cruddy finish, hollow plastic furniture.
With that said... That's what makes the maverick 88 the reliable little beater that it is.

If you want a cheep shot gun that will be reliable for home def.. Or just screwing around with the mav88 all the way.. If you want a hunting/ clays guns spend the extra few bucks on the 500.. I also am a big fan of the tang safety.

Ive shot about 600 rounds through my Maverick 88 and it has worked flawlessly. It was my dads gun, that he kept in the basement for about 20 years. Has some surface rust but everything still works smoothly and shoots straight

So help me out... 12 or 20 gauge? Home defense being the primary concern, but also looking to try trap

12. If recoil is an issue just get some of the reduced recoil shells. I don't see the point of a 20 gauge.

12. I've shot trap with an old 20ga, and it wasn't too bad to hit targets. I would only buy a 20 if I were into small bird hunting or wanted to train someone younger and didn't want to turn em away from shooting.
If the 12 is too much you can get a recoil pad, or as like jasons said, use reduced recoil loads.

In before someone tells you not to go to dicks

Why would you tell someone not to go to Dicks? I shopped around for weeks looking for a Mossberg 500 20G for my son. Local shops were selling USED mossy 500s with only the bird barrel for MORE than I paid at Dicks for the same gun brand new with a bird barrel and rifled slug barrel. Is Dicks kind of a PIA to deal with......yes and no.......if you know what you want and can deal with the "criminal walk" to the front door I find no reason not to save well over 100 dollars on a bread and butter shot gun!

FSTC the Maverick 88 is a model of Mossberg shotgun.......mossberg makes the 500 model AND the maverick 88 model.

Mossberg & Sons | Pump Action

Click the link above.......its the mossberg site and the maverick is the 11th gun down.

I have bought 3 firearms from Dick's over the years. Should have stopped at the first one but I walk by, see it, and my wallet gets the best of me.

1. If you don't mind waiting 45-60 min to walk out the door, buy at dicks.
2. If you don't mind them screwing up the paperwork and having to call you back into the store 3 times over the next 2 weeks, buy at dicks.
3. If by any chance you buy a defected rifle/shotgun or need to return/exchange it for any reason....good luck

I'm not saying a handful of their lodge employees aren't knowledgeable, friendly, etc etc, above has just been my experiences at their stores.

Your results were quite different from mine. I was out the door in 30 minutes from the time I said "I want that one"......that was at the Danvers store. However don't expect to get much good advice from the clerk.......just know what you want before you go in.

It got a Mav 88 in the mid 90's and never had any problems with it. It came with a bird barrel with fixed modified choke, no tube capability. I have used it successfully in skeet, trap and it has taken pheasant. The only thing is the its black thing look from those who believe shotguns should have wood furniture. But **** them if they don't like it.

FSTC the Maverick 88 is a model of Mossberg shotgun.......mossberg makes the 500 model AND the maverick 88 model.

Mossberg & Sons | Pump Action

Click the link above.......its the mossberg site and the maverick is the 11th gun down.
I never said it wasn't a Mossberg.
My post was answering why I prefered the lower end M88 to the M500.
I also gave my opinion on the Rem 870.

Back
Top Bottom