Mossberg Announces Retrograde Pump-Action Shotguns

mikeyp

NES Member
mossberg_retro.jpg

Mossberg Announces Retrograde Pump-Action Shotguns

I like my mossy 500. Been hunting with it for years and it's reliable as hell. But over 500 rockets for an 18.5 inch cylinder bore pump action is a bit "spendy".....considering the 500 platform is a bread and butter budget minded shotgun.

Slight thread revival with a tangent, rather than a brand new one.

I'm looking to purchase my first shotgun and stumbled across this thread. I like the 590A1 for the capacity and reinforced receiver/barrell, though the particular one mentioned above seems a bit "Call of Duty". With that said, my first choice was an 870 Police Magnum. Similar capacity and method of use. Anyone care to shed some light on the differences? Other than 2" in barrell length? Issues with extractors, or anything else?

This will be a HD gun and for range fun, slugs and buckshot primarily. No skeet, trap, turkeys or hunting in my immediate future unless you include stationary clays...
As a lefty, the cross bolt safety of the 870 appeals to me more than the 590 thumb ramp, I don't kow why. Also, if I ever decide to go full tacticool with a pistol grip, that thumb ramp safety would seem to be at a distinct disadvantage. The cross bolt seems intuitive to me regardless of application, most likely from my time with the 10/22 platform.

Lastly, I can't seem to find anyone that stocks new 870's in eastern MA. The classifieds have dried up(Shotguns seem few and far between compared to AR's as of late) and my go to's of B&K, Gartman, Steve's Tactical and MFS all seem to be Mossberg heavy aside from the gun this thread was initially created for. Am I looking to get taken for a ride if I ask a shop to order a specific gun for me?

Thanks in adavance.

I like my twins the 935 and 835, never cared for the pump shotguns

Price and capacity comparrison? Most of the semi-autos I've come across are 4+1 and start around $600+. If I'm springing for semi-auto I might as well wait and save for an M4.

It also looks like the 935 is a duck gun. I don't need that barrell length. 18-20" is where I'm firmly planted.

Price and capacity comparrison? Most of the semi-autos I've come across are 4+1 and start around $600+. If I'm springing for semi-auto I might as well wait and save for an M4.

It also looks like the 935 is a duck gun. I don't need that barrell length. 18-20" is where I'm firmly planted.

Both are for turkey actually, I don’t have the duck barrel. Difference being one has a pistol grip for when I was hunting with buddy who was older and had some issues holding the straight stock. Yeah the 935 was about 600 new the other I bought used. I couldn’t afford a Benelli at the time so no M4 for me although they make sweet shotguns

I got my 590 for $125 with a slug barrel. Added a 18.5" and a mag spring, and thats been it. Can't kill the thing, must have thousands of rounds through it. Alot of those were magnum slugs too.

I'm looking to purchase my first shotgun and stumbled across this thread. I like the 590A1 for the capacity and reinforced receiver/barrell, though the particular one mentioned above seems a bit "Call of Duty". With that said, my first choice was an 870 Police Magnum. Similar capacity and method of use. Anyone care to shed some light on the differences? Other than 2" in barrell length? Issues with extractors, or anything else?

This will be a HD gun and for range fun, slugs and buckshot primarily. No skeet, trap, turkeys or hunting in my immediate future unless you include stationary clays...
As a lefty, the cross bolt safety of the 870 appeals to me more than the 590 thumb ramp, I don't kow why. Also, if I ever decide to go full tacticool with a pistol grip, that thumb ramp safety would seem to be at a distinct disadvantage. The cross bolt seems intuitive to me regardless of application, most likely from my time with the 10/22 platform.

Lastly, I can't seem to find anyone that stocks new 870's in eastern MA. The classifieds have dried up(Shotguns seem few and far between compared to AR's as of late) and my go to's of B&K, Gartman, Steve's Tactical and MFS all seem to be Mossberg heavy aside from the gun this thread was initially created for. Am I looking to get taken for a ride if I ask a shop to order a specific gun for me?

Thanks in adavance.

Take a ride up to Kittery Trading Post. They’ll have a ton - see what they have by viewing their site too- ktpguns.com

Mossberg 500 2 barrels and a pistol grip. 180 bucks at service merchandise. Back in the day. That was a bargain.

Take a ride up to Kittery Trading Post. They’ll have a ton - see what they have by viewing their site too- ktpguns.com

Without turning this thread on its head, if I buy a long gun in ME as a MA resident, I EFA it once I’m back home, correct? FFL transfer would be for handguns only? There seems to be mixed info on here about this as well.

Both are for turkey actually, I don’t have the duck barrel. Difference being one has a pistol grip for when I was hunting with buddy who was older and had some issues holding the straight stock. Yeah the 935 was about 600 new the other I bought used. I couldn’t afford a Benelli at the time so no M4 for me although they make sweet shotguns

What would the difference between a duck barrel and a turkey barrel be? New to shotties so I really don’t know.

Without turning this thread on its head, if I buy a long gun in ME as a MA resident, I EFA it once I’m back home, correct? FFL transfer would be for handguns only? There seems to be mixed info on here about this as well.

Correct. eFA-10 within 7 days of bringing it into the state. Federal law says it's fine to buy long guns outside of your state of residence, so long as what you're buying is legal to own in your state of residence.

Handguns must go through an FFL in your state of residence.

What would the difference between a duck barrel and a turkey barrel be? New to shotties so I really don’t know.

The choke and that's about it. You honestly don't need different barrels if you purchase a shotgun with a interchangeable choke system, which almost all shotguns have now. You could argue about barrel length, and I'll continue to tell you it doesn't matter. Home defense is about the only place where I see a shorter barrel making any difference.

Some guys get all wrapped up in having longer barrels for duck.... fast moving flying targets are a bit easier with a longer barrel. Turkey your hitting a stationary target with more precision....head shot....so some guys mount optics or go with a fiber optic front beed. Choke is the main consideration. Turkey hunters use full or extra full. Duck generally mod or improved mod.

Many years ago before changeable chokes longer barrels TENDED to be made with full choke and shorter barrels with more open chokes to suit the hunting style they were most likely to be used for. I've argued with a plethora of newbs that state longer barrel gives you a tighter pattern because the barrel is longer.....and that just ain't true. I've hunted and tested patterns with guys that use a short barrel with a screw in Turkey choke that get very tight patterns.

All that said I hunt 90% of my game with a mossy 500 26 inch barrel with changeable chokes and get great results whether its duck Turkey squirrel or rabbit. Just change the choke and shells I'm using.

Mossberg 500 2 barrels and a pistol grip. 180 bucks at service merchandise. Back in the day. That was a bargain.
Yup me too. I got what I paid for, crap. Then I got a Benelli. Cost a lot, got what I paid for again ,Unstoppable Awesomeness.

Yup me too. I got what I paid for, crap. Then I got a Benelli. Cost a lot, got what I paid for again ,Unstoppable Awesomeness.
Not crap and it still goes bang with no issues. No plastic trigger group on the this one. Yeah, it's not the same quality as a Benelli , but it still sends lead down range.
The 500 will hit a target at 50 yds just like the Benelli.

[rofl2]

I like the look of this retro model, but yeah- price is a little high.

the 500 retro should sell for under $400 and the 590 retro for under $700. A little higher than the basic models of both, but not totally over priced.

I have sold a couple of the 500 retros. They look good in person too.

s a lefty, the cross bolt safety of the 870 appeals to me more than the 590 thumb ramp, I don't kow why. Also, if I ever decide to go full tacticool with a pistol grip, that thumb ramp safety would seem to be at a distinct disadvantage. The cross bolt seems intuitive to me regardless of application, most likely from my time with the 10/22 platform.

Sans pistol grip, the tang safety of the Mossberg is far superior to a cross-bolt safety in terms of pure ergonomics. I can run my Mossberg 500 left handed all day long. Doing the same with my Benelli M2's crossbolt is an exercise in frustration. The upside is, the crossbolt is the same level of suck with a pistol grip, whereas the Mossberg safety is excellent with a traditional stock, and shitty with a pistol grip. YMMV

Thanks in adavance.

I don't know if the police magnum line is made on the same lines as the other 870's, but I was pretty unimpressed with the 870 express I bought in the early 2010's. My parkerized 870 express rusted like crazy, more so than any other gun I have ever owned. I would see perfect rust fingerprints if I handled the shotgun without wiping it down thoroughly after. That parkerization was total crap, worse than any gun I have ever handled.

I don't know if things improved since then, with Remington going through multiple owners and financial woes. A few years ago my room mate bought a budget line Remington bolt action rifle that also had the same terrible parkerization that rusted very easily. That must have been 2015 or 2016. Google "Rustington" and you'll see lots of similar complaints. This is the only gun I ever sold that I didn't miss later.

Mechanically, everything seemed fine and functioned as you would expect a pump action shotgun.

I don't know if the police magnums get better finishing, or if the blued guns are any better. If it's the same finish treatment as the express lines, I'd avoid at all costs. I don't have any first hand experience with mossberg, so I can't speak to that.

I don't know if the police magnum line is made on the same lines as the other 870's, but I was pretty unimpressed with the 870 express I bought in the early 2010's. My parkerized 870 express rusted like crazy, more so than any other gun I have ever owned. I would see perfect rust fingerprints if I handled the shotgun without wiping it down thoroughly after. That parkerization was total crap, worse than any gun I have ever handled.

I don't know if things improved since then, with Remington going through multiple owners and financial woes. A few years ago my room mate bought a budget line Remington bolt action rifle that also had the same terrible parkerization that rusted very easily. That must have been 2015 or 2016. Google "Rustington" and you'll see lots of similar complaints. This is the only gun I ever sold that I didn't miss later.

Mechanically, everything seemed fine and functioned as you would expect a pump action shotgun.

I don't know if the police magnums get better finishing, or if the blued guns are any better. If it's the same finish treatment as the express lines, I'd avoid at all costs. I don't have any first hand experience with mossberg, so I can't speak to that.

This is very helpful!

Thanks

Some guys get all wrapped up in having longer barrels for duck.... fast moving flying targets are a bit easier with a longer barrel. Turkey your hitting a stationary target with more precision....head shot....so some guys mount optics or go with a fiber optic front beed. Choke is the main consideration. Turkey hunters use full or extra full. Duck generally mod or improved mod.

Many years ago before changeable chokes longer barrels TENDED to be made with full choke and shorter barrels with more open chokes to suit the hunting style they were most likely to be used for. I've argued with a plethora of newbs that state longer barrel gives you a tighter pattern because the barrel is longer.....and that just ain't true. I've hunted and tested patterns with guys that use a short barrel with a screw in Turkey choke that get very tight patterns.

All that said I hunt 90% of my game with a mossy 500 26 inch barrel with changeable chokes and get great results whether its duck Turkey squirrel or rabbit. Just change the choke and shells I'm using.

Longer barrels tend to swing better or follow thru better. Thats why most target guys like them. Including me, my skeet gun has 30 inch barrels because it it helps with swing and follow thru.

On gamebirds over a dog I use a 28 or 26 inch barrel gun. In general there is little need for swing and lead in most cases shots are close and quick.

That said, if I was shooting ducks or tower pheasant id want a long barrel gun, not for choke but for swing and lead.

Choke is choke...you need to pattern your gun and see what you get, each gun patterns different

Back to topic, I like the walnut and steel, but not if its crazy money

Tinker, take a look at the Norinco 870 Tactical clone, The IAC Hawk-982.
I recently took it and a brand-new Mossberg 590A1 to a defensive shotgun class and put 400 rounds through the both of them combined and walked away more impressed with the Norinco. So much so, that when I got home I outfitted it with the Magpul SGA butstock and MOE forend, then added a Choate magazine extension for +2. Total of 7 rounds and 1 in the pipe. Whole thing, gun and extras cost $338 bucks. Very happy with it!

You can actually leave it bone-stock and be very happy with it for under $200 bucks...

Here's a link to a thread here: IAC HAWK 982

Back
Top Bottom