• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 930

Going to be buying a shotgun in the next week or so. I had an 870 a few years ago and didn’t really like the thing. It jammed, rusted easily, and was overall just sort of “meh”.

This will likely be the only shotgun in my collection so I’m looking for versitility. It will primarily be used for general hunting, clays, and home defense in that order of importance.

I want to go semiauto this time and the Mossberg 930 seems like it’s the most appealing when considering features, price, and reputation on the internet. I’ve read a lot and watched some reviews on YouTube which have generally been positive with a few exceptions.

Of course, NES is the final and most important source to consider before pulling the trigger.

So if you have one, how do you like it? What model do you have? What kinds of upgrades or accessories do you like? I would likely get the 28” field model with the chokes, fibre optic site, and synthetic stock. I would then plan on getting a magazine extension and an 18” barrel later on.

I had one. The Tactical version. I shot it very little. It worked, but I found the pistol grip texture very rough, and every time I fired it, as it recoiled up, the grip was tearing the fingers on my pads. Not the first firearm I've had that a cheap plastic stock that did this. Function wise, it seemed fine.

I had one. The Tactical version. I shot it very little. It worked, but I found the pistol grip texture very rough, and every time I fired it, as it recoiled up, the grip was tearing the fingers on my pads. Not the first firearm I've had that a cheap plastic stock that did this. Function wise, it seemed fine.
Thank you. Good information to keep in mind. I’m not opposed to putting some hockey tape on something like this if I would like it better. If I may ask what did you pay?

Hit the used rack and get yourself something with class, like an A-5 or a Remington knockoff Model 11 (don't worry, these were made before Remington sucked). Since this is the only shotgun you'll have in your stable (snicker - tell me how that works out for you) I'd go with the 12 or 20 instead of my preferred 16ga.

i had the JM model with the long tube. it ran nicely. for the price i don't think you can beat it. it was definitely over-gassed when it came to slugs but it ran crappy shot field loads reliably which was great. i wouldn't hesitate to buy one. mossberg has solid CS (at least by phone) so if for some reason it's a lemon they should take care of you.

that being said for just over $1k one can have an FN SLP which is far superior to the 930. there are a lot of nice old shotguns out there. since they're not rifled a lot of the nicest options are used and old production sicne the quality was better. i'm not a shotgun guy so i would'nt be able to tel you which ones those are.

I've been on the fence about a semiauto for awhile - been using a KSG for 3-gun and HD. The Stoeger M3k seems like a close competitor to the 930, and everything I've read indicates it tends to be more reliable. I've not actually fired either so take it with some salt.

i had the JM model with the long tube. it ran nicely. for the price i don't think you can beat it. it was definitely over-gassed when it came to slugs but it ran crappy shot field loads reliably which was great. i wouldn't hesitate to buy one. mossberg has solid CS (at least by phone) so if for some reason it's a lemon they should take care of you.

that being said for just over $1k one can have an FN SLP which is far superior to the 930. there are a lot of nice old shotguns out there. since they're not rifled a lot of the nicest options are used and old production since the quality was better. I'm not a shotgun guy so i wouldn't be able to tel you which ones those are.

I agree and for just under a grand the Beretta 1301 is also quite nice.

I have one I setup for competition. They cycle fast, recoil soft, and will run light loads. It runs great, and totally reversed my opinion that mid-range semi-auto shotguns never work.

My buddy had one that never worked ;), and eventually Mossberg sent him a new one (which ran great).

I wouldn't hesitate to get one, but probably would go used as the lower cost is a major plus.

It'd probably make a decent "only shotgun" if setup right. Make sure you get something with adjustable choke tubes.

TRY A BUNCH ON FOR SIZE (Fit, and how it feels) before you buy.

A really nice gun, that does not fit you, will be a bargain for the next owner in a year or two.

An old, cheap, shotty that fits you will be a better deal that one that's 2x the money and doesn't fit you.
Thank you, I’ll consider others as well.

Thank you, I’ll consider others as well.
Trouble is, they all feel "good" in the store. It's not until you shoot it that you know whether or not it "fits" right. I've tried a lot of them, and they all "hurt" me when firing. Everyone says 'get it fit you ' but not sure how that works when you're buying them "off the rack". (although, in the case of the 930 Tactical, some of it was the rough grip texture, which only manifested itself when firing the shotgun).

Regarding shotgun fitting, go to YouTube and do a search for shotgun fitting. It's more complex and more important than you might think.

I purchased the JM model a few years ago, luv it. I have several shotguns, the KSG for home defense, along with a Benelli SS for trap. I had a beautiful A5 12ga with a deer slug barrel and scope, it was a great gun but the kick was painful, gave it to my BinL and bought the JM.... that's my keeper. I purchased a slug barrel, a nice custom stock with a grip, set up a sling and a nice scope. Took my 1st deer with it last year, 1 hr after opening day. I should try trap with it, but my Bennelli Super Sport has that duty. I can used it for HD, but my KSG WORKS NICELY there.. buy a new one and don't look back, u won't regret it.

Which model do you think would be best for general purposes? They offer so many.

I’m thinking about the field/security combo if I can find one or otherwise maybe the JM Pro version. Or, maybe just the standard field model with plastic furniture and invest leftover money in accessories I need.

I can't offer much there, I only have experience with the JM model ... I guess I'd pick the combo that fits what your most use will be. Then u can add accessories and or barrels after that ..

I had the field 930, then cut the barrel down to 22" and added a mag tube extension. The gun ran great, but I couldn't hit anything with it. Slugs were all over the place and moving clays were always a problem. The gun just didn't point well for me.

I had a"older" pre JM 930 a while back. It worked fine then started sucking. When I took it apart there was a plastic ring under the handguard which was broken/bent. Mossberg sent another and it worked well but I never had confidence in it again (still had a plastic piece) and sold it. I have a few Mossy pumps and love them so I'm not a brand hater. For semi's I went to Benelli and have never had an issue.

Hit the used rack and get yourself something with class, like an A-5 or a Remington knockoff Model 11 (don't worry, these were made before Remington sucked). Since this is the only shotgun you'll have in your stable (snicker - tell me how that works out for you) I'd go with the 12 or 20 instead of my preferred 16ga.
Can't go wrong with the old auto 5! One of JMBs greatest designs in my opinion.

Re the "Fit": There's a difference between a shotgun fitting you, and getting a shotgun fit to you.

Like a off the rack v. tailored suit.

Pick up the gun, close your eyes, and shoulder it. If you have a good sight picture when you open your eyes, it's probably a decent fit. If you have to scrinch up, or contort yourself, it' not.

I tend to be an off-the-rack guy; an 870, or A5, or similar will be pretty close. My kid's Browning trap gun....not so much, as its adjusted to him ( the comb is too high).

It's easier to judge fit, if you've shot a fair number. Tougher if you're new. See if a more-experienced shotgunner can help you at the store.

Back
Top Bottom