• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 930 12ga Shotgun Range Report

JonJ

NES Member
I got my 930 out this morning. I didn't have much time but it was fun.

My 930 is the Field/Deer combo. It comes with a 24" cantilevered rifled slug and 26" field barrels. Both barrels are ported. Two butt stocks are also included. A Monte Carlo for the slug barrel and straight butt stock for the field barrel. The furniture is synthetic.

This outing was with just the 24" rifled slug barrel and Monte Carlo butt stock. Mounted on this barrel is a "Made in China" 2.5X20 scope which is also included with the combo. The scope was bore sighted at my local shop and no other adjustments have been made.
Before hitting the range I stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods and picked up 3 different boxes of sabots.

Shooting was from a bench at 50 yards. I don't have a rest so it was sandbags only. To make matter worse, I didn't realize that there's a plug in the mag tube. I didn't have the time to take it out. So it was load 3 and fire, then the other 2.

All targets were at 50 yards. The first 2 targets are FBI-IP. The outside ring is 11.25". I only had 2 of those and I had to dig to find the third target, a FBI Circle. Small circles are 6" across and the center is 9". Had I known that this target was rolled up with the others, I would have used it for all 3.

1. Results with Lightfield Hybred EXP

lightfield.jpg

2. Remington Copper Solid

rem.jpg

3. Hornady SST

horn.jpg

The Hornadys gave the best group out of the bunch but I was aiming at the bull in the center[thinking]

I didn't have time to adjust my scope. I need to pick up more ammo and move a bit to the right.

This what the ammo cost:
Lightfield Hybred EXP $12.99
Rem Copper Solid $14.99
Hornady SST $13.99
Remington has a $5 rebate with a 2 box $10 per household limit. I did use a $10 off $25 purchase Coaches Coupon too[smile]

Recoil isn't bad at all. Softer than pump guns I've shot. Because of the porting, it's pretty loud. I'm looking forward to taking it deer hunting next week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom