• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 590A1

Got one this past fall. Like it. Put a pile of slugs through it, nothing fell off yet. No misfeeds or any sort of trouble at all. Action is slicker than snot. Sights are good enough, a little coarse maybe but certainly up to the task. It's a little bigger than I though it was going to be. Trigger is pretty heavy. I guess you can make it better pretty easy, but it isn't bad enough to take things apart....yet. Would definitely buy again.

All the parts on a 590 are available for a 500 ,so the option of buying a 500 and putting on the tube ,safety ,trigger group is
easily found on midway,brownells, ect.

All the parts on a 590 are available for a 500 ,so the option of buying a 500 and putting on the tube ,safety ,trigger group is
easily found on midway,brownells, ect.

Can't really get the shield last I researched. 599A1 retro + blade is on my wish list.

500 stupid magazine-barrel design
590A1 stupid heavy barrel no point, some silly .mil thing
heat shield is beyond stupid, all it does is snag on shit

the only mossberg models that make sense are the 590’s (not 590A1) and the mav88 to go el cheapo. Unfortunately few shops stock the 590’s. Everyone pushes the A1 I suppose because muh look Marine’s “use” them.

the model 500 is a few dollars cheaper than a 590 and inferior in every way

if I were getting a wood furniture shotgun I would want to see and feel that furniture before buying it. Its fuddy enough to some fudd retailer must have it in stock. How about cabelas?

Over 50 years and more than 10 million sold.look in the mirror,stupid will be looking at you.
I would like to see the specs on when and how many where sold. Im going to gander more than half of those 10mil where sold in the first 15-20 years of production then a slower sales rate as they really started to cheapen production.

if i was looking for a "mil" style/retro/clone shotgun it might have to be the Ithica M37 (John M. Browning designed) clone by Inland mfg. Add the 16" M1917 bayonet. practical maybe not but just has a look thats hard to beat.

Last edited:
I would like to see the specs on when and how many where sold. Im going to gander more than half of those 10mil where sold in the first 15-20 years of production then a slower sales rate as they really started to cheapen production.

if i was looking for a "mil" style/retro/clone shotgun it might have to be the Ithica M37 (John M. Browning designed) clone by Inland mfg. Add the 16" M1917 bayonet. practical maybe not but just has a look thats hard to beat.

I somewhat agree, I had a inland m37 but sold it. The quality was pretty good but 4+1 is also limited in the capacity department compared to others on market. New ones don’t slide fire like the originals. They go for $1000 and up

OP I would look for an Ithaca riot gun 7+1 like Kyle Reece in terminator, has a parkerized finish with wood furniture, which looks more bad ass.

Want the trench gun look, I would look for a norinco trench gun not polytech. Norinco imported the later trench guns which cowboy gunsmiths said they look good as or better than the original Winchester 1897’s. It has a heat shield and bayonet lug.

Both of those models go for under $1000.

Back
Top Bottom