• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 590 MA legal

How about the fact you can fit many more if you use Aquila mini-shells!
No one knows, I think the standard approach is to use 2 3/4" as the general guideline for capacity. Mini shells didn't exist when they wrote this horse sh*t.

It might make an interesting defense to have this letter from the State Police should you get charged with a AWB violation (MGL 140 131M possession of a LCFD). Personally it will not change my position to not sell such weapons. The risk is too high. The wrong circumstance and the wrong DA and you end up in a criminal trial. That has no good outcomes.
You know the MSP letter is suspect if @Rob Boudrie hasn't even posted a sentence
including the phrase "entrapment by estoppel"...

I don't think it is but what the hell do I know. A tube is not removable like a mag, box, drum or feed strip. The fact that they include the term "or similar" is what screws us over. Who decides what similar means? Now here's one for the hive, how do we feel about a Nordic +2 extension on a 1301 tactical (making 7+1) with a non pistol grip stock? Go or no go?

This is more of a vernacular thing than a strict comparison to functionality, but most manufacturers refer to a fixed shotgun tube as a "magazine tube". Not sure how that would end up playing out in this context, but not very helpful to the argument it isn't a magazine.

500-590.jpg

The Mossberg JM 930 Pro is a semi-auto 10 round 12ga that is legal to own/sell in MA so I see no problem with that one. I have a letter from the Office of the MA State Police declaring this after a 2-week review by lawyers etc..
How did yo come by the letter? Did you write for their opinion and actually get one?

I don't think it is but what the hell do I know. A tube is not removable like a mag, box, drum or feed strip. The fact that they include the term "or similar" is what screws us over. Who decides what similar means? Now here's one for the hive, how do we feel about a Nordic +2 extension on a 1301 tactical (making 7+1) with a non pistol grip stock? Go or no go?
When I bought my 1301 I asked the dealer this very question, his response was "just don't do it"...I trust his judgment.

When I bought my 1301 I asked the dealer this very question, his response was "just don't do it"...I trust his judgment.
The tube not removable in the sense that you pop it off and put on another tube, but is in that it is attached without tools and it is not only possible but easy to attach a pre-ban high capacity tube to a post-ban semi auto shotgun. Even those silly looking tubes that extend a foot or so beyond the muzzle.

No wonder we're all confused!
To hell with it, I think I'm going to just stop doing what I think I should and just do what I feel like, it's so much easier. It's too bad there wasn't somebody out there who wrote to the MSP and then got a response they could share, that would be super helpful.

To hell with it, I think I'm going to just stop doing what I think I should and just do what I feel like, it's so much easier. It's too bad there wasn't somebody out there who wrote to the MSP and then got a response they could share, that would be super helpful.
Yup, you could take that to the bank . . . and withdraw all your funds to pay a lawyer to keep you out of jail!

Even if he did, the problem with that is that ONLY the AG has the legal authority to interpret MGLs (and we all know how well she does that). MSP, EOPS, gov'r, state senator/rep, etc. have no legal authority to offer legal interpretations of the morass of MGLs.

Back
Top Bottom