• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 590 MA legal

aLuckyFourteen

NES Member
I did my research and I think I know the answer but want to be certain. Looking to buy a Mossberg 590 pump action 12 ga. 8+1

Based on the MA law that I’ve read, seems like pump action shotguns do not fall under “assault weapons” and therefore aren’t limited to five rounds.

Is this shotgun MA legal? Thank you!

Lots of correct conclusions but no correct reasons.

MGL 140 131m makes possession of an AW or a LCFD unlawful. The definition of AW for a shotgun requires that it be semi auto before looking at features so you are correct a pump cannot be an AW.

The issue is the LCFD. The 8 round tube is unambiguously a LCFD as defined in MGL 140 121. If you were to be holding just the tube in your hand, that would be a felony as it is clearly a LCFD.

The reason we all sell such shotguns is the definition of LCW. It says pump action guns cannot be LCWs. So if the shotgun is not a LCW how can it have a LCFD? This combination makes the 8+1 ok when part of the pump shotgun but take it off and you have a felony.

So yes, the 590 retro is legal. Just don’t take the tube off…

AW Assault Weapon
LCFD large capacity feeding device
LCW large capacity weapon

Dont search the laws...search in the classifieds (dealer) you might actually find what you seek.
Except the classifieds will also find you the occasional CZ Scorpion pistol or other AWs that people naively think are legal and are proudly providing evidence of their unlawful possession. Knowing the laws yourself is important. There are lots of ignorant sellers including dealers.

Even more on topic, many dealers will sell semi auto shotguns with tubes over 5 rounds. They don’t understand why tubes on pumps over 5 are ok and blindly sell semis over 5. This is a felony for the dealer and buyer.

So buyer beware. Dealers and other sellers selling something is not proof of its lawfulness.

Last edited:
Lots of correct conclusions but no correct reasons.

MGL 140 131m makes possession of an AW or a LCFD unlawful. The definition of AW for a shotgun requires that it be semi auto before looking at features so you are correct a pump cannot be an AW.

The issue is the LCFD. The 8 round tube is unambiguously a LCFD as defined in MGL 140 121. If you were to be holding just the tube in your hand, that would be a felony as it is clearly a LCFD.

The reason we all sell such shotguns is the definition of LCW. It says pump action guns cannot be LCWs. So if the shotgun is not a LCW how can it have a LCFD? This combination makes the 8+1 ok when part of the pump shotgun but take it off and you have a felony.

So yes, the 590 retro is legal. Just don’t take the tube off…

AW Assault Weapon
LCFD large capacity feeding device
LCW large capacity weapon
Very thorough, thank you.

I'm not sure fixed tube is considered a LCFD for shotguns(or lever-action rifles for that matter). MGL 140 121 lists explicitly the types of feeding devices covered:
"''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; "

I'm not sure fixed tube is considered a LCFD for shotguns(or lever-action rifles for that matter). MGL 140 121 lists explicitly the types of feeding devices covered:
"''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; "
You left out “fixed” from your bolding. Fixed blah or similar. It is covered.

Shotguns is five instead of ten. Lever action is discussed in LCW like pump. So you can have greater than the limit for a lever action if fixed to the weapon, but don’t remove the device from the weapon…. 22LR tubes are also exempted from being LCFD.

You left out “fixed” from your bolding. Fixed blah or similar. It is covered.
Even if included, whether fixed or removable, the list of types of devices is fixed: mag, box, drum, or feed strip. that's it: 4 types. The tube is not on the list
One could argue that "or similar" after the list of types could be construed as "tubular". The similarity is a stretchy word but at a closer look, none of the four types are anywhere near tube! The basic principle of storing cartridges in a stack of all four types is not the same as the tube storage where cartridges are stored in a row.
Incidentally, this is why the 3-gun shotguns with those crazy long extension tubes are still legal. That said, most common semi-auto shotguns just don't have the dimensions to accommodate more than 5 shells unless you go for the super long barrels/tubes which is not what a CQB self-defense type of gun needs: compact dimensions. The point is: legal or not, large capacity tubes in a defensive shotgun are not practical.

I did my research and I think I know the answer but want to be certain. Looking to buy a Mossberg 590 pump action 12 ga. 8+1

Based on the MA law that I’ve read, seems like pump action shotguns do not fall under “assault weapons” and therefore aren’t limited to five rounds.

Is this shotgun MA legal? Thank you!
The Mossberg JM 930 Pro is a semi-auto 10 round 12ga that is legal to own/sell in MA so I see no problem with that one. I have a letter from the Office of the MA State Police declaring this after a 2-week review by lawyers etc..

The Mossberg JM 930 Pro is a semi-auto 10 round 12ga that is legal to own/sell in MA so I see no problem with that one. I have a letter from the Office of the MA State Police declaring this after a 2-week review by lawyers etc..

@Ae1m

That’s interesting, would you mind sharing more details? I’m curious what made you get lawyers involved to review the shotgun and why were the MA State Police involved to declare it was legal or not.

Would you mind posting the letter? Obviously you should redact any personal information if you do decide to post it.

Please share. Since over five rounds on a semi auto shotgun is unambiguously a large capacity feeding device on a large capacity weapon, I would love to see such a letter.

MSP does not have the statutory authority to interpret MGL. I was involved with another issue where an EOPS attorney made a claim about MGL and got called out on it for that exact reason.

I will confirm that @Ae1m has such a correspondence from the State Police and it says what he says it does.

MSP does not have the statutory authority to interpret MGL. I was involved with another issue where an EOPS attorney made a claim about MGL and got called out on it for that exact reason.
I also concur 100% with this. The State Police (or the lawyers they consult) have no authority to interpret MGL. That is the sole prerogative of the judiciary. DAs will decide who gets charged and the courts get to sort it out.

It might make an interesting defense to have this letter from the State Police should you get charged with a AWB violation (MGL 140 131M possession of a LCFD). Personally it will not change my position to not sell such weapons. The risk is too high. The wrong circumstance and the wrong DA and you end up in a criminal trial. That has no good outcomes.

@Ae1m I appreciate your diligence but it falls to the old maxim of "never ask a cop about the law". Cops go to the academy for time measured in weeks and only part of that time is dedicated to learning the law. Lawyers spend years full time in law school and they still get it wrong. I can count on one hand the lawyers in MA I think actually know MA gun laws and what they mean and I don't need all of my fingers on that hand... 90% of the names recommended here on NES for lawyers I would not bet my life on.

I also saw the letter and while I agree with @CrackPot, I also see the potential here that it could help someone who potentially gets jammed up and also that we could use it to overturn the laws some day if we ever have a chance.
How can any reasonable person understand the law as written when our own state police interpret it differently. It’s similar to how Maura said that 22’s are exempt from the AWB. While it’s not a good defense by any means it does show how weak and stupid the laws are written and clearly don’t prevent crime.

What can I say, I’m an optimist.

Edited because I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Even if included, whether fixed or removable, the list of types of devices is fixed: mag, box, drum, or feed strip. that's it: 4 types. The tube is not on the list
One could argue that "or similar" after the list of types could be construed as "tubular". The similarity is a stretchy word but at a closer look, none of the four types are anywhere near tube! The basic principle of storing cartridges in a stack of all four types is not the same as the tube storage where cartridges are stored in a row.
Incidentally, this is why the 3-gun shotguns with those crazy long extension tubes are still legal. That said, most common semi-auto shotguns just don't have the dimensions to accommodate more than 5 shells unless you go for the super long barrels/tubes which is not what a CQB self-defense type of gun needs: compact dimensions. The point is: legal or not, large capacity tubes in a defensive shotgun are not practical.

Is the tube not the "magazine" with a shotgun, hence in the 4 types listed?

Is the tube not the "magazine" with a shotgun, hence in the 4 types listed?
I don't think it is but what the hell do I know. A tube is not removable like a mag, box, drum or feed strip. The fact that they include the term "or similar" is what screws us over. Who decides what similar means? Now here's one for the hive, how do we feel about a Nordic +2 extension on a 1301 tactical (making 7+1) with a non pistol grip stock? Go or no go?

Back
Top Bottom