• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 590 Light

Looking for a light for my 590. It has picatinny rails on the fore-end. Want something that won't interfere with my hand. This is for my farm, so keeping coyotes away from my animals, as well as HD. Streamlight hlx looks like an option, but would it get in the way? Any other suggestions?

IMG_20200402_175817~3.jpg

I have a similar light setup on my similar 590A1. I have the light mounted on the left, and actuate the light with my thumb via the tail switch.

Are the rails on your fore end plastic? If so I think you’d be better served by buying a 3” steel rail and adapter and mounting it in front of your bayonet lug. I’m not a fan of plastic rail mounts at all.

I have SureFire's shotgun forend WeaponLight on my Mossberg 590A1.
The bayonet lug needed to be machined off, but I like the unit a lot.
(older photo)
Mossberg_590A1_w_RDS_right_side.jpg
(Newer photo)
Mossberg 590A1 camo fall.jpg

Surefire x300 pistol light. 1000 lumens, simple amd compact, and pistol light has the right throw for a shotgun.

If it's for a gun you might depend on for your life, Surefire is the only way to go. Anything else is skinflinting, because anything else will crap out on you when you most need it and then you will need a new one anyway, Streamlight included, I've had more Streamlight weapon lights crap out than I care to talk about. It's depressing how much of my money Streamlight has wasted. I only buy Surefire if it's going on a gun now. For an edc light or general use flashlight I'll consider other brands, but not for a light on a gun I might need to depend on.

Looking for a light for my 590. It has picatinny rails on the fore-end. Want something that won't interfere with my hand. This is for my farm, so keeping coyotes away from my animals, as well as HD. Streamlight hlx looks like an option, but would it get in the way? Any other suggestions?

View attachment 344890
Whats that thing over your trigger? Its like its still at the store. That pic rail on the foregrip would be great for a surefire. The real question is how often do you plan on using it. And for how long and what lumens. Also if you want to recharge or replace batteries

Whats that thing over your trigger? Its like its still at the store. That pic rail on the foregrip would be great for a surefire. The real question is how often do you plan on using it. And for how long and what lumens. Also if you want to recharge or replace batteries

The ‘tri-pic-rail’ forend would be great to mount a light on if it didn’t feel like a cheese grater with extra cheese graters on it (I own the exact shotgun pictured). It also leaves your thumb prone to brushing the barrel, which can give you a nice lil burn.

First thing I did was swap that and the stock for the quintessential Magpul furniture. That means I now have m-lok mounts to attach a light to. I like the idea of light on one side, switch on the other. I extend my thumb forward even though the Magpul forend wraps over the barrel a bit (because I burned it a few times) which puts it in the perfect spot for a switch without having the whole light smack my thumb.
I’m still working on the solution.

Back
Top Bottom