Mossberg 590 cleaning question..

btnh6668

NES Member
I was wondering how you get into the magazine tube to clean it out? Its not in the manual and i cant seem to find any info on the net.

page 8 fig7 of owners manual........did you buy this new? I thought they came with a video?

I did buy it new but negative on the video. Im currently trying to field strip it and of coarse the manual always has the model that is not like the one you buy. So im currently trying to take out the pistol grip in order to take out the receiver for cleaning.

Shouldn't that take care of it?

No its just a small hole not a chance in hell to get in clean the spring or tube through there. Ill have to try and look where mac1911 mentioned to see if i can get at it. Right now im still working on take out the receiver. My model mossberg comes with a pistol grip and adjustable stock. By the looks of it i have to take out the stock as well as the pistol grip in order to take out the trigger assembly and what not.

I have managed to take out the pistol grip... the butstock on the other hand seems to be a bit more complicated. According to my manual there should be 2 screws on the side of the adapter tube in order to get it off. Of coarse there are no screws to be found according to their diagram. Im going to have to do some more reading. If anyone is wondering it looks like this ..... http://www.webarms.com/Gun Suppliers/Mossberg Shotguns/51670.gif

Last edited:
-Remove the magazine cap.

-Remove the barrel.

-Place the buttstock between your legs with the magazine tube pointing up.

-grasp the magazine tube with both hands.

-Unscrew the magazine tube from the receiver. (Righty - tighty, lefty - loosey)

What nut?

Sorry, I should have said magazine cap.

When i remove the cap to take off the barrel there is just a hole where the magazine tube is.

That is the spring retainer, remove it (see below), then remove the spring and follower.

CAUTION: The magazine spring exerts pressure on the retainer. Use caution when disassembling.

To disassemble: Pry up at various points around the small hole in the
center of the magazine spring retainer. Cup hand over retainer and
magazine so as to keep spring and retainer confined. Use caution not
to bend or distort the magazine tube end and or threads.

ETA: it's on page 4 of your manual [wink]

Thanks guys for the help... now if only i could figure out how to remove the damn stock. The stock and pistol grip is in the way of me field stripping this firearm. I have taken the pistol grip off but cannot figure out how to take the stock off. I cant remove the trigger with out taking out the stock because its laying right on the back of the trigger guard. The damn instructions say remove 2 screws on the side of the adapter tube but i assure you guys there are NO screws. I may need to call mossberg.

You actually have to remove the stock to get inside the receiver?

F that. Glad all I have are Remingtons where such foolishness is not necessary.

removal of the stock and grip is beyound field strip.....search you tube for a video.

I have never heard of buttstock removal as a requisite for properly cleaning a shotgun. Are you tearing it apart for kicks?

I had to call mossberg. I guess there is a very small screw under the top part of the pistol grip i need to take out. Then i need to unscrew the stock to get to a bolt. After removing the bolt i can finally remove the trigger housing in order to get to the receiver to clean and oil as needed. Thats a lot of steps just to do a field strip.

Remington: drive out two pins out one side of the receiver and out comes the fire control group.

Remingtons are easier to field and detail strip than Glocks.

unless this shotgun has seen some abuse and several thousand rounds takeing it down this far is not really needed. It seems from what you describe the pistol grip must over lap the rear portion of the trigger group. Not allowing you to remove the pins and remove, correct??? I have several shotguns I use for trap really the barrel gets a bore snake a lube then a wipe down. I dont bother with a field strip on my 870 until it gets wet or 2000 rounds or so. My browning gold goes 1200 rounds with no issues. Got a break open shot gun......barrel&wipe.

Back
Top Bottom