• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 590 blackwater

Mark from MA

NES Member
I want a good hd shotty and this one seems to have everything i want on it. (9 shot, bayo lug, ghost rings, 20 inch heavy barrel)

Personally i think the blackwater print is ghey. But i found one nib for 450. I didnt think that was bad so am planning on grabbing it It will be my first time ive bought anything mossberg. My dad always told me to stay away. But its got pretty good reviews.

How do you guys like your 590's?

I have a 590A1 with the 18.5" and Choate Extension. here http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/MXT/02-04-11 it comes right to the end and matches the parkerizing. I also changed the spring and follower so it holds 7+1 with 18.5" barrel. It works great and is totally in a different class than a regular 500. If you want to read Mil Spec 3443 you can see the testing etc.

I want a good hd shotty and this one seems to have everything i want on it. (9 shot, bayo lug, ghost rings, 20 inch heavy barrel)

Personally i think the blackwater print is ghey. But i found one nib for 450. I didnt think that was bad so am planning on grabbing it It will be my first time ive bought anything mossberg. My dad always told me to stay away. But its got pretty good reviews.

My gf and I each have a 500, and there is a 590A1 with a mag extension in the bed room, all 3 work well just like the 590's I played with in the .mil.

Also,

I have a 590A1 with the 18.5" and Choate Extension. here http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/MXT/02-04-11 it comes right to the end and matches the parkerizing. I also changed the spring and follower so it holds 7+1 with 18.5" barrel. It works great and is totally in a different class than a regular 500. If you want to read Mil Spec 3443 you can see the testing etc.

This.

I have a 630 Blackwater and the ghost ring rear sight sucks. Before you buy the 590 Blackwater check the rear sight closely, mine is a POS that is extremely hard to adjust. Apparently the 630 Blackwater uses a different rear sight than the regular model; you do not want this rear sight and the improved rear sight costs over $100. I have one on order for my Blackwater 630.

PS I am not real impressed with my 630 as it does not function reliably. I had to borrow another 630 at the 3 gun match at Bass River. I thanked the owner and complimented him on his 630. He loves this gun, but only after it had been returned to Mossberg for some serious repair work.

I have a 630 Blackwater and the ghost ring rear sight sucks. Before you buy the 590 Blackwater check the rear sight closely, mine is a POS that is extremely hard to adjust. Apparently the 630 Blackwater uses a different rear sight than the regular model; you do not want this rear sight and the improved rear sight costs over $100. I have one on order for my Blackwater 630.

PS I am not real impressed with my 630 as it does not function reliably. I had to borrow another 630 at the 3 gun match at Bass River. I thanked the owner and complimented him on his 630. He loves this gun, but only after it had been returned to Mossberg for some serious repair work.

930? I love mine too, never had a problem I didn't cause.

What spring and follower are you using?

I have had a 590 since the 1990's,and also have a 500 combo they are a good shotgun for hunting or protection.

I have the 590A1 in a Blackhawk recoil reducing stock (pistol grip & adjustable stock) and I LOVE it.

there was one of the Mossberg 590 blackwater at IDC in clinton the other day. Don't remember the price though

Thanks guys. Ill check it out. Ive been waiting all week to grab it but the dealer's been closed for the holidays.

Picked it up yesterday...will put a side saddle type shell holder on it and a shell holder sling. After it's said and done should be able to pick it up with 25 rounds on board.

Plus I can still use it for deer hunting.....which is the reason I didn't buy a KSG (besides the extremely infated price right now)

Last edited:

I'm a huge fan of Mossberg. I have an 835 pump, and a pile of 930's I use for a youth shotgun program. No frills, but they run forever. I've seen friends with 870's have trouble with certain shells, the Mossbergs took them all. $450, not a bad price.

Picked it up yesterday...will put a side saddle type shell holder on it and a shell holder sling. After it's said and done should be able to pick it up with 25 rounds on board.

Plus I can still use it for deer hunting.....which is the reason I didn't buy a KSG (besides the extremely infated price right now)

Last edited:
Yeah. Got it for 450 new. Its the 590a1 blackwater with rail, ghost ring sights, and 2 rails on the forearm, 8 shot mag
Everything mil spec

I saw some on gunbroker for 650 i know they are usually high but 200 seemed like a lot. 750 is nuts. Maybe they have the semi auto?

Last edited:

Gammon your welcome it was a pleasure shooting with you , my 930 JM pro had a ton of issues as Gammon said when I got it but after sending it back to Moossberg its all good now they replaced everything [grin] it must have been the lemon in the bunch lol. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom