Mossberg 500 Stock

I've been thinking about changing out the stock on my HD Mossberg. The thinking is an AR type, adjustable stock. I know Mesa Tactical has an adapter that I could use to set it up with a buffer tube and the all the Magpuls, and after reading mixed reviews on all the Knoxx type stocks I was leaning that way. I'm wondering what you guys are using for a AR type stock on your shotguns.

By AR do you mean pistol grip?

i dont care for pistol grip on a mossberg given location of thumb safety. YMMV.
on my 590A1 I have a magpul stock and hogue forend. i don't care for the magpul forend, it lacks grip texture. the stock, however, is awesome.

just my 2c i'm sure others will offer more suggestions for PG system.

This. There are a few aftermarket safeties that are extended so you can manipulate them even with a pistol grip. Personally, I havent tried any of them so I couldn't tell ya if they work right.

on my 590A1 I have a magpul stock and hogue forend. i don't care for the magpul forend, it lacks grip texture. the stock, however, is awesome.

just my 2c i'm sure others will offer more suggestions for PG system.

Yeah I was thinking pistol grip with an adjustable stock. I was looking at the Magpul stock. It looks interesting. Im not really loving the fore end though.

I have a hogue foreend on mine. Good amount of grip, and it's short so it clears the loading port unlike some of the longer hunting foreends.

I can't do a pistol grip with a tang safety. I have big hands and it is still too awkward.

I was just talking to a friend earlier about this. I want the 20" Mossberg 500, with ghost ring sights, choke tubes and the crossbolt safety from the Maverick 88.

It's going to cost a lot more overall, but it will be exactly what I want.

Yeah, just spent 20 minutes looking for capacity laws. It doesn't matter whether in a pump or semi, five round limit for shotshells is specifically mentioned.

Yeah, just spent 20 minutes looking for capacity laws. It doesn't matter whether in a pump or semi, five round limit for shotshells is specifically mentioned.

No one seems to think this matters when it comes to tubes though, even though I don't think the law requires a LCFD to be detachable.

Yeah but you ask most cops and they think its ten lol .
Belive it or not you can put a 20 rd mag in a bolt action rifle to they don't care if it's semi or not .
Yet the lgs is sold in mass.

Yeah, the biggest problem is getting your hands on stuff. Being from Cape Cod, not easy to hit a free state and I don't have any friends. That are in free states, lol.

Welcome! You will find more things illegal here than you would have thought possible!

So true. Best to know what the law actually says and then decide how you will personally deal with it, whether mag capacity issues, awb issues, carrying on restrictions, open carry. Damn, I could keep going:/

Sorry about the threadjacking.

OP, have you looked at other options than a Magpul adapter? I think you would be paying more to adapt a buffer tube than just getting an adjustable stock. Personally, I just like a much shorter stock on my shotguns. Makes for an unobstructed mount no matter what I am wearing on upper body.

I did some research this week and just ordered the ATI Talon kit in destroyer gray.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/talon-tactical-shotgun-ultimate-professional-package

So, what's interesting is that today I got the Tacstar 6 shot sidesaddle. I've had my eye on it forever, and finally broke down and ordered it. It came tonight and was super easy to install with one major exception. The f'ing action won't upen all the way because the fore end overlaps the receiver. So it says it fits the Mossberg 500, but that's kinda misleading. Anyway, I decided to order the ATI kit since I now need to replace the fore end. Hopefully it'll work out ok. The other option is to return it for the 4 shot rack, but I'm gonna wait and see how the new fore end fits before I do that.

Not familiar with that sidesaddle. Why won't the action open all the way? Do the mounting screws go through the slide and hit the receiver?

I did some research this week and just ordered the ATI Talon kit in destroyer gray.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/talon-tactical-shotgun-ultimate-professional-package

So, what's interesting is that today I got the Tacstar 6 shot sidesaddle. I've had my eye on it forever, and finally broke down and ordered it. It came tonight and was super easy to install with one major exception. The f'ing action won't upen all the way because the fore end overlaps the receiver. So it says it fits the Mossberg 500, but that's kinda misleading. Anyway, I decided to order the ATI kit since I now need to replace the fore end. Hopefully it'll work out ok. The other option is to return it for the 4 shot rack, but I'm gonna wait and see how the new fore end fits before I do that.

Watch iraqvet video

Not familiar with that sidesaddle. Why won't the action open all the way? Do the mounting screws go through the slide and hit the receiver?

I tried a side saddle on a Mossberg 500, I don't remember who made it, but It mounted with one short screw into the receiver, and a second long screw that replaced a pin and went all the way through the receiver. I tried loc tite, but no matter what, theose screws always worked loose. The one that went through the receiver, if over tightened, would prevent the bolt from moving!

Ive also tried the knoxx recoil reducing stock. I didn't like that either. It was just an odd feeling while shooting. It felt like the shotgun was bouncing off of my shoulder. Sometimes the odd recoil impulse would make the action partially open, then close quickly, causing the trigger to reset, but the empty shell still in the chamber. Then I would have to dry fire to be able to cycle the action.

I also tried this pistol grip stock http://www.midwayusa.com/product/761315/choate-mark-5-pistol-grip-buttstock-mossberg-500-535-590-835-synthetic-black
Its well made and simple. But I now prefer a standard non pistol grip on my shotgun.

This is what I use now

Hogue forend and speed feed stock. The stock is a bit shorter LOP than the original. I like my shotgun to be a simple as possible.

It's because the plastic shell holder mounts on to an aluminum plate. When you rack the fore end back it overlaps the receiver and the plate is now blocking that action. I think it'll work with the new set up. I'll let you guys know when it shows up.

Here it is with the new ATI furniture. The stock has a nice feel to it, but the forend feels a little slick. It turned into a bit of a project, since the original forend didn't have an action slide tube. Once I figured how to get that on, it went pretty fast. I'm pretty sure the new parts added some weight, which isn't too surprising. The last thing it needs is a light. I'm curious too see how it shoots.

0e9021b266d1e10e5b76c74bd73c74fb_zps56cd982a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom