Mossberg 500 Flex?

I'm zeroing in on my next acquisition to be a shotgun and am looking at the Mossberg 500 Flex. I saw a few people had a good impression of it. Anyone having any issues with the "quick" release features?

I'm looking for a versatile shotgun for trap, deer and whatever else catches my interest here in MA. I don't want semi-auto so looking to a pump. I can spend up to $1,000 if motivated, but the mossberg would leave budget for a S&W shield or a basic scope for my FAL...

Thanks in advance!

I have a flex 500 and love it. Its my turkey gun, trap gun and HD shotgun....now thats versatile.

the quick release system on the stock is excellent. i've had no issues despite many many swappings of the stocks. the OEM stocks that are available from mossberg are excellent. i have a short LOP stock so my woman can shoot it, then i swap over to the standard stock for me....makes shooting trap a breeze for both of us.

IMO the forend changing system is a wee bit tricker. also works fine just be careful at first that you learn how to do it correctly. if it's pulled to hard or manhandled it's easy to break the release tab....but honestly it's a user error problem, not intrinsic to the gun.

the barrel swapout system is the same as every other mossberg 500. FYI mossberg makes a flex 590 if you want the big capacity magazine/tube, but that will drastically cut down on the # of barrel options you have.

my 500 flex model came with a a longer barrel w variable choke (i think 22 or 24" barrel). i run the turkey choke and swap out to IM/mod as needed....super easy system. the HD barrel is nice and short with a bead sight. the included pistol grip is kinda rough on the hand but some tennis wrap will fix that. they also include two forends with the flex model, which is sweet.

anyway don't hesistate to go with the 500 flex. it's a great shotgun. also i had one issue with the forend where the tab broke off, called mossberg by phone and they sent me a whole new forend no questions asked.

i think you will enjoy it.

oh yeah, and it comes stock with an insert in the tube for hunting laws, so don't freak out if it seems like the tube only holds 2 rounds, that's correct....easy to remove the spacer.

I'm going to be the turd in the punch bowl and say avoid Mossberg like the Ebloa plague...

And for those guys who like Mossberg, use a Beretta, Browning, or a Benelli and get back to me on how great Mossberg is.

I'm going to be the turd in the punch bowl and say avoid Mossberg like the Ebloa plague...

And for those guys who like Mossberg, use a Beretta, Browning, or a Benelli and get back to me on how great Mossberg is.
Care to expound on that? Sloppy action? Poor groups? Sounds like it's grinding sand? Much of what I have read is that Mossberg produces a good budget shotgun. I do have a $1000 budget and I need the flexibility of deer/trap/++.

Derek-

few of us would argue that a mossberg is a finely finished and refined shotgun. the tolerances are loose and certain aspects are kinda crappy in overall feel. however my mossbergs have always gone bang when I pull the trigger, never failed me in any way and are a great value. if i want a quality shotgun i use my FNH. however for hunting trips my gear gets all beat up so I prefer something that doesn't cost me $1200 and will cause butthurt symdrome if when it gets scratched up.

also none of those other manufacturers offer the equivalent to a Mossberg flex system. for a "do it all" shotgun, the flex is really quite nifty.

Care to expound on that? Sloppy action? Poor groups? Sounds like it's grinding sand? Much of what I have read is that Mossberg produces a good budget shotgun. I do have a $1000 budget and I need the flexibility of deer/trap/++.

They are rattle traps, poorly made, and break. I've had one break on me and have seen two others fail in the field. People get ones that work, but the percentage of failures and poor quality that I've witnessed is enough to make me stay away.

Find a used one.Like most , the old ones used ones were made better, and by now the lemons have gone to the scrap pile .

a used mossberg flex is gonna be tough to find. the flex model is pretty new and good luck finding someone who will actually sell theirs!

there's lots of smack-talk about mossbergs in general but i haven't bumped into many owners of the flex who are unsatisfied with it....unfortunatley some of the accessories are quite pricy but they are worth it.

No experience with the 500, but a buddy has a 590 that we shoot clay with. We've put maybe 500-600 rounds through it and it's been flawless. It feels and shoots like a quality gun. Is a benelli better? Probably. It's irrelevant. The quality of the Mossberg is fully adequate, and definitely a good gun for the money.

Derek you are comparing a subaru forester to a range rover. Not a fair comparison IMHO.

My 500 rattles but it only cost me 150 bucks used!......but has chambered a round every time I've racked it and gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger......thousands......I repeat thousands of rounds through it on the trap field.

Last edited:
No one gun is going to serve all your needs. You want to shoot trap well lets see what makes a xyz shotgun a xyz shotgun.
Basic deer slug gun. Short barrel snooth bore ment for slugs or buck shot. Has rifle sights because your aiming.

Trap gun. Set up to shoot high as target are always going away and rising. You do not aim a shot gun shooting trap. The gun has to shoot where you look. Generally long barrels to smooth out your swing and feel.
Skeet gun... generally shorter more open chokes
5 stand and sporting clays....general any gun with removable choked for your different target presentations.
1000$ budget and want to shoot trap. Find a 870 trap and then buy a moss or rem pump set up for deer.
Things to consider also about "deer " shotguns. How accurate and how far. I don't look at my smooth bore the same since I shot my friends savage bolt shotgun...
There are also a endless amount of different stocks/barrels for both 500s and 870s .... the key to a "do all " gun is knowing where it shoots with out any fitting.
I have had my 870 since 1988? Slug barrel and 28" field with modified choke. I have shot everything with that gun. Deer, birds, trap(99 straight and been in that club to many times!) I will say once I did get a "trap " gun I enjoy shooting trap more with that dedicated gun. My head is more up right and don't strain squishing down to the gun 100 plus times when I shoot trap.

I have a 500 I hunt with and it gets the job done. For work and home defense I use a 590 A1 and I could not be happier!

I have never used a flex but I have two barrels for my 500 and it is very versatile.

I bought a 500 as a "loaner" gun for taking people trap shooting, and it's been nothing but reliable for thousands of rounds. A friend of mine bought the flex so he could change LOP for his daughter, and he's had a similar experience.

I should also say, that my Mossberg has undeniably shown that it's the shooter, not the gun, when it comes to trap shooting. When we are on our game, it's no big deal to beat guys that had to make an appointment to buy their shotguns. [smile]

I bought a 500 as a "loaner" gun for taking people trap shooting, and it's been nothing but reliable for thousands of rounds. A friend of mine bought the flex so he could change LOP for his daughter, and he's had a similar experience.

I should also say, that my Mossberg has undeniably shown that it's the shooter, not the gun, when it comes to trap shooting. When we are on our game, it's no big deal to beat guys that had to make an appointment to buy their shotguns. [smile]

Any shot gun is good for trap if its shooting where your looking.

Back
Top Bottom