• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mossberg 151M-C?

hmm looks like its not quite far enough out of the magazine before the bolt hits it. I'll have to see what mine looks like when it feeds.

The feedramp looks a bit grungy, I'd polish that with some 0000 steel wool and oil/clp
It's very possible that I overlooked the feedramp during cleaning. I'll have to give that a good scrubbing/polishing.

I do have a Mossberg M46B. Shoots extremely tight groups with Standard Velocity being the best. Most of this Mossies featured deep grooves and are really good shooters. Only my Mauser M36 gets better groups, but then again, that one will stand toe to toe with an Anschutz.

I have a few 151m's. Mine all work properly. Some of them can be fussy and a bit difficult to get to run right. If you have problem you can't figure out, go to Rimfirecentral.com mossberg section. You will find some very knowledgeable people for any Mossberg, and the rest of the sight is full of every other rimfire.

I've got one of these Andrew, they're a great rifle! Mine is a B if I remember correctly. On some of them the front part of the stock ahead of the sling swivel would fold down like a foregrip!

151's didn't have the fold down foregrip. They were 142's and 152's. 142's are bolt action and 152's are semi auto. Both have 7 round magazines.

Thanks guys. I got to monkey around with this thing some more. Probably should disassemble it completely and see if I can figure out the FTF problem.

Have to admit, while I have used various rust removers over the years, I never thought of boiling. It looks like a good way to save an remaining blueing though.

151's didn't have the fold down foregrip. They were 142's and 152's. 142's are bolt action and 152's are semi auto. Both have 7 round magazines.

Huh that's interesting. I must have been looking at pics of a 152 without the mag in it. I could have sworn a later 151 than mine had that folding foregrip.

@mac1911 must have one of these or at least heard of them?...
I do have q soft spot for the old 22s and the old mossbergs. I sold 90% of my guns to get money ip for my house. In 2007 I started rebuilding my 22lr “collection”. I did not get far
I did have a MB 44 US Military trainer , decent rifle.
Mossberg had some decent smallbore rifles in ancient times. They where not really “match” grade and most where geared for old school small bore matches where trigger pulls where pretty heavy and accuracy needed to clean a target was not crazy like 3moa or so. Just like the military matches

Damn! Actually the peep sight that came with mine must be factory. The rear notch/buckhorn (whatever it is) sight is the Williams sight - I mixed them up in my OP.
That hole in that peep sight is freakin SMALL!!! It's like half the thickness of a toothpick...

I'll try out the scope for a bit before trying the peep sight.
Not small your getting old, aperture sights = smallest hole in the rear that you can see clearly through will give you the sharpest front sight
That gun was made when folks where more into learning marksmenship. Ascpeople got lazy manufactures got cheap and put those cheap ladder/notch sights

Thanks guys. I got to monkey around with this thing some more. Probably should disassemble it completely and see if I can figure out the FTF problem.
Often after 50 years gunk gets everywhere and at somepoint someone always thinks dousing it with 3in1 oil is a good thing.
Here is what my dad always said.
“Clean it” I did “ oh yeah do it again and show me how clean it is”
You only need enough oil to prevent rust.

No mine would actually feed several at a time! The magazine disconnector wasn't working right.
I started running into this problem last weekend. I finally realized the cartridge stop was basically "seized" due to fouling and the cartridge stop spring popped out of place. Got that fixed last night and it ran 50 rounds of CCI SV without a single problem. But it does not like Aguila 40 gr HV...I could only get 2-3 shots before it failed to feed. I'm just chalking this up to an ammo issue and the rifle being picky.

I haven't tried mini-mags or Aguila SV ammo yet. My dad is probably going to keep it at his camp in Maine so it won't get shot a whole lot but I told him I can give him a bunch of CCI SV if it gets picky with the Federal bulk 22 ammo he has in Maine.

Then I had to replace the trigger guard screws with longer screws as the screw holes in the stock seem to have been damaged from me removing the trigger guard so many times. The longer screws "grabbed" fresh wood deeper in the stock.

Sounds like its running pretty well now! The Aguila may be too hot for it. If it runs that CCI SV just fine then that's what I'd feed it. It would probably like the Federal white box for semi autos too.

Sounds like its running pretty well now! The Aguila may be too hot for it. If it runs that CCI SV just fine then that's what I'd feed it. It would probably like the Federal white box for semi autos too.
Yeah it is! It's a nice little rifle. Light weight and silly accurate. I have like 6k rounds of CCI SV so it's good that it runs that ammo. I can always toss ammo to my dad...

Those old guns will do best with SV ammo. No need for any HV crap.
22lr around 1050 fps is just fine. CCI and Aguila SV have been my goto 22lr for many years.
If your looking for a bit more accuracy try some SK standard plus.

Brought it to the range this afternoon and didn’t have much luck in it functioning...

Was basically a single shot rifle due to the failures to feed with basically every shot. BUT it seemed very accurate at 120 yards.

Decided to take it apart tonight and HOLY SHIT was it rotten!!! I’m quite sure it has NEVER been cleaned.

Before:
View attachment 319788View attachment 319789View attachment 319790View attachment 319791

After:
View attachment 319794
View attachment 319793
View attachment 319792

Just need to reassemble and get it back to the range and see how it goes!
Thats not dirty for rimfire.
Looks more like over lubed when in action and all that 22lr fouling stuck to the oil.
that thing is also old enough it could have seen corrosive ammo.

More accurate maybe but the action might not like the added speed from the HV ammo.
Yeah I think mine is just a little picky. Prob varies gun to gun as jpm doesn’t have any issues with HV in his.

Those old guns will do best with SV ammo. No need for any HV crap.
22lr around 1050 fps is just fine. CCI and Aguila SV have been my goto 22lr for many years.
If your looking for a bit more accuracy try some SK standard plus.
I’m glad it runs SV well since I have mostly SV ammo not HV.

I’m glad it runs SV well since I have mostly SV ammo not HV.
I never really understood the HV stuff.
22 shorts where running semi auto 100 yrs ago.?
i have 3 tha will run on shorts , long and long rifle.
My 552 will actual get bolt bounce with the 1200fps stuff and fail to pick up a round.
In the end use what works best.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom