Mosin upgrade

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
Has anyone used this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00434GV6G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=13YWEF3Y6013X9PT2V0G&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop
Or a similar produce? I've read the reviews, but would like to hear opinions of anyone here.
It would be for my T53 if anyone cares...

Yes I know why put money into a $100 rifle Why not?
Yes I know some don't like to modify their mosins...Just shoot it, they say...I do and I will
Well it's mine and perhaps it need a new look.

[smile]

There are quite a few Archangel Mosin builds on here.

The length of pull on that stock for me is absolutely perfect.
You could shop around for mounts and optics to suit your preferences.

Are you keeping the bayo? Or cutting it down for that dragon effect?

Crap, I forgot about the bayonet...I'd like to loose it for this, but i'd have to cut it down, is that right, can I do that as short as it already is?

You can knock the barrel down to 16. Or 14 & a brake.

Or just take the bayo off and run it like that. Keeping the front sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The barrel length on a T53 is about 20". You can shorten it a bit. I shortened one of my 91/30s to about 17". It is a hoot.

And I wouldn't use the scope mount in the package you listed. I have not heard good things about them. I just mounted a scout scope using 3/8" dovetail rings and removing the RSB. I've done this on a couple of rifles, and it's very solid.

Crap, I forgot about the bayonet...I'd like to loose it for this, but i'd have to cut it down, is that right, can I do that as short as it already is?

I have one on my T53 and the bayonet did not need to be removed. I picked it up at the Marlboro show, brand new, with a 5 round mag for 100, they were asking 140

How difficult is it to put a scope on the mosin, have to clue how to drill and tap for new screws and at this point i'm not willing to try and f it up...

The barrel length on a T53 is about 20". You can shorten it a bit. I shortened one of my 91/30s to about 17". It is a hoot.

And I wouldn't use the scope mount in the package you listed. I have not heard good things about them. I just mounted a scout scope using 3/8" dovetail rings and removing the RSB. I've done this on a couple of rifles, and it's very solid.

What did you use for a scout scope?
Anytime I look for "them" I don't find much much or reviews are wishy washy. I'm also not looking to break the bank. I've even looked into pistol scopes for magnum caliber pistols... the prices are not what I'm looking for on my mosin. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place(s)??

I'm looking to increase my accuracy - it's not a precise rifle. I picked up some glass to bed the stock, but if I'm going to do it right, I'm going to get some pillars too.

I've got some smith sights for now, just need to pick up the tool to push it out.[thinking]

My scout scope is a cheapie, but it has held up for probably a couple hundred rounds on two different rifles. I think it was about $40.

The problem I had finding one is that they are either really cheap or really expensive. There don't seem to be a lot of mid-range scopes of this type.

This is pretty similar to the one I am using but mine is not illuminated.

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-2-7X32...3535626&sr=8-3&keywords=long+eye+relief+scope

One more thing, I am fairly certain that you cannot just drift off the rear sight block on a T53 or M44 the way you can on a 91/30. The 91/30 RSB is just held on with two pins (and sometimes silver solder). You punch out the two pins and slide it forward. On one of mine, it fell right off. On the other, it was silver soldered and I had to heat it up before it would slide.

So if you are scoping a carbine, you pretty much have to use one of the rails that goes on top of the RSB. I'm sure there has to be one that's better than the others, but I haven't used them.

The other option is drilling and tapping for a repro scope mount. I've done that as well, and it's not difficult to do. It's another piece that costs more than the gun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soviet-Russ...958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56705d8a86

And add another $55 for the bent bolt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosin-Nagan...049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a911182a9

The picture makes it look like the scope is crazy high. It is not as bad as it looks, you can still get the lower part of your cheek against the stock. That was a $20 bargain scope that I used to try it out. I plan to get a decent repro scope for it.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of a Mosin build now. I picked up the archangel stock in tan. Also had the barrel on my 91/30 chopped a bit and threaded for a brake. Timney trigger and scout scope. Just need to get it all put back together and I'll upload some pics. I know someone that bought the archangel stock when it first came out and he had some problems with the mounting screws and magazines. From what I've read, they've fixed those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it with a friend on my build back in January. Used a drill press. It wasn't THAT hard, but he'd done it before.

Still haven't got the bastard zero'd - God damn snow keeping me from the range.

Are there any other options for a Magazine other than the archangel stock?

Although I really like mclina's mosin!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom