• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin Trigger

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
There isn't really a DIY gunsmith place on this forum, so this seemed the best place to post this.

Been having fun 'adjusting' the trigger on my Mosin. I've got a nice target weight of about 3.25 lbs now. There is a considerable take up, and the final release is rather mushy. There isn't a real point where you know the take up is over as the trigger just has a slight increase in resistance just before it breaks. Still, if you do your job as the shooter, it works MUCH better.

Was wondering if anyone has done their own Mosin trigger work and was able to get a more crisp release. I just don't see a way to do it with the design. At least mine is no longer the 16 lb pull it was when 'new' to me. I know there are aftermarket triggers, but I wanted to see if I could simply work the original parts to make it better and in most respects, I have.

If you are interested in what I did, the article HERE explains the process.

The nice thing about this work is that unless you mess with the sear or the bolt, you never compromise the safety of the rifle. All this does is remove the crud that makes many Mosin triggers much stiffer than they have to be.

The work is easy, but you need to take your time and go slow testing as you go.

There isn't really a DIY gunsmith place on this forum, so this seemed the best place to post this.

Been having fun 'adjusting' the trigger on my Mosin. I've got a nice target weight of about 3.25 lbs now. There is a considerable take up, and the final release is rather mushy. There isn't a real point where you know the take up is over as the trigger just has a slight increase in resistance just before it breaks. Still, if you do your job as the shooter, it works MUCH better.

Was wondering if anyone has done their own Mosin trigger work and was able to get a more crisp release. I just don't see a way to do it with the design. At least mine is no longer the 16 lb pull it was when 'new' to me. I know there are aftermarket triggers, but I wanted to see if I could simply work the original parts to make it better and in most respects, I have.

If you are interested in what I did, the article HERE explains the process.

The nice thing about this work is that unless you mess with the sear or the bolt, you never compromise the safety of the rifle. All this does is remove the crud that makes many Mosin triggers much stiffer than they have to be.

The work is easy, but you need to take your time and go slow testing as you go.

touching up the sear points will go a long way also. Not changing angles just a nice clean up polish job. I have mine down to 4lbs or so and a very clean snap...theres still one little tick in the trigger feel I can t isolate... I installed a trigger return spring which gives a faux 2stage feel.

I have not been posting many pictures on my projects because my camera is on the fritz and im not buying a new one anytime soon.
Here is my adventure
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...in-revisited-see-what-I-can-squeeze-out-of-it
I did the same as you but also went on to clean up the sear contacts. keeping the same angles and just cleaning the face points. I re did my sear points again but polished with 1000 grit vs 800 grit. feels a little better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom