Mosin Questions

Some polish models were converted to 7.92x57

ETA; But you asked about Russian... so this is moot.... time for anther beer...

"The Mosin Nagant Model 1891 Three Line Rifle" is the official translated original title for the gun, a "Line" being equivalent to one tenth of an inch.

So, the Mosin Nagant is basically a 30 caliber gun, and bores will slug from .308" on the tight end, up to .314" or so for a well used and worn barrel. Average good bores are .310 to .311".

"The Mosin Nagant Model 1891 Three Line Rifle" is the official translated original title for the gun, a "Line" being equivalent to one tenth of an inch.

So, the Mosin Nagant is basically a 30 caliber gun, and bores will slug from .308" on the tight end, up to .314" or so for a well used and worn barrel. Average good bores are .310 to .311".

Mine has a bore that looks like the surface on the dark side of the moon.

You will be surprised how clean you get get some of these that appear at first to be sewer pipes. I purchased the electronic bore cleaner on Amazon using Comm2A of course. Its nice because it comes with the steel rod, washers and a wall unit power supply which has red light for cleaning and a green light when its finished. The crap that comes out of the groves is disgusting but after two or three cleanings the bore is nice.
I also use a bore polish on reloads which is used to polish bores on new rifles. It works well at removing any scratches. If I lent you my bore scope you would be horrified when you look down the barrel so I will not do that to you.
I have seen new rifles which folks have shot and not cleaned after many outing and with the bore scope can see chamber wear as well as deep markings. Not a good thing.

I figured it out. Just press the trigger and it comes out.

It's a 'sporterized' (Bubba's hands are all over this) Mosin. I tried to look up it's vintage and couldn't
come up with anything obvious. It's a little over 40 inches long but the barrel could have been chopped
and I don't think that front sight is very original. Numbers don't match but other than the bore being
all crudded up it's a fairly clean rifle.

05_16_2013001a_zps3a857941.jpg

05_16_2013007a_zpsbd2b85a5.jpg

05_16_2013003a_zps2a61e94c.jpg

05_16_2013005a_zps0e3fbd6b.jpg

Only thing on the tang is the number 5. Best I can tell it's a run of the mill Izhevsk with a poorly marked tang.

Last edited:
reminds my of one of those criket 22s...good job on the white lettering. I start with warm simple green solution mixed 50/50 put some in a bucket place the muzzle in the solution and with a tight bore mop you can suck up and push out the cleaner...then I clean with electro bore cleaner patches and a final copper foul remover. I still have not got my mosin really to come clean. My groups did improve though.

Well, I tried the bore cleaning setup today and I can actually see the lands and grooves. The bore doesn't look too shabby. Nice lands.
After I did this I used some bore gel and cleaned it up some more and it looked pretty good. Pitting is minimal at best. Looks to be
a few small pits at most. I'm going to do the bore cleaning setup again as I think I can get even more junk out of the bore below the
lands.

After I cleaned it and seeing how the lands looked so good I decided to slug the barrel and used some soft lead slugs but for whatever
reason I was unsuccessful getting a good measurement as the slug was out of round and measured between .313 and .318. I have
some lead bullets I have sized to .310 so I decided to slug the bore again using the harder lead with the bullet. I measured the bullet
beforehand and it was dead on at .310. I measured it after running it through the bore and it came out .308". This seems like a bore
that is very unused.

Taking this to the reloading forum...
Anyone reload using lead for the Mosin? Is Mosin brass berdan primed? I looks like I can use my 311291 (170 gr) or 311284 (205 gr)
bullets for this if I can get some brass.

Last edited:
I reload cast for my mosin, mine slugs out at .3125 .313 I use a lyman 314200 200gn boolit. Broxer primed brass is out there just places wont ship to mass.

Was thinking of possibly picking up a Mosin this weekend, as something fun/cheap to shoot.
Looking for a shop that's open tomorrow and I may take a ride.
I know absoloutely nothing about them other than I can buy 880 rounds for short money lol.

Anything I should look for in it, things to avoid?

When you buy them from a shop are they still covered in cosmoline? Not looking forward to cleaning that off, especially if I wanna shoot it Sunday. I'm very impatient!

Was thinking of possibly picking up a Mosin this weekend, as something fun/cheap to shoot.
I know absoloutely nothing about them other than I can buy 880 rounds for short money lol.

When you buy them from a shop are they still covered in cosmoline? Not looking forward to cleaning that off, especially if I wanna shoot it Sunday. I'm very impatient!

For a shooter, just find a decent price, a good bore, and no cracks in the stock.

Expect a refurbished M91/30 to need cleaning and inspection before firing, just like any gun that is purchased. It will likely shoot 10-12" high at 100 yards, so bring some small heat shrink tubing to slip over the front sight post, and clip of excess height until it zeros for you.

Happy shoppin' and shootin'!

Cleaning the cosmoline is half the fun plus it makes you more of a man. You're getting a good mosin when it's still in cosmoline (for the most part). Check out the mosin site , I forget the name. Just click on the first one when you search Mosin identification guide.

Alot of shops I've seen there just wiped down on the out side .
Just clean the chamber with hot water and simple green.
And take the bolt apart .

Wrap the stock in a trash bag and stick it in the sun or the dash board of ur car and the heat will get alot Cosmo to bleed out of the wood

For the bore boiling water /simple green mix .

Run brush a few time .
Then use a copper solvent .
Brush some more .
Boil more water and solvent when the barrel cools down . I ran 20-40 patches before it went from black to green . Lol .

First time you clean the bore sucks .

I will be heading to Collectable Arms in NH tomorrow to check out what they got.
If anyone recommends a different shop, I'm all ears.

Back
Top Bottom