• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin Nagant firing pin question

Upland

NES Member
Could someone tell me what the correct firing pin protrusion is for a 91-30 and for a m44.I know that the tear trop screwdriver tool is used for that for but I don't have one.
I believe the short notch is .75 and the deep notch is .95 but I am not sure if that is inches because the rest of the specs for these rifles are metric.Thanks.

I have a few of those tools and found they can be slightly off.

I now use a digital caliper to set the pin. Spec is 0.075" - 0.095" like previously mentioned.

you CAN easily find these tools online.... just be careful.....
i picked one up through ebay for $5 and the notches were the EXACT SAME (incorrect) depth...
not very useful....

SKSRay hooked me up with the correct tool (even stamped with the Izzy mark to match my 91/30)

if you want the correct firing pin tool i'll sell it to you for $100 and i'll throw in a 91/30 ;)

.075-.095 thanks, I will check the depth with calipers.I did some research and was leery about buying a depth gauge tool of unknown origin.
I'm curious why this measurement is in inches and not metric like russian rifles from this period? Maybe because the rifle was developed in 1891.

I have dozens of those tools, I will give you one. My rule of thumb when setting the firing pin depth. The rear should be flush and line up with the line in the cocking knob.

I'm curious why this measurement is in inches and not metric like russian rifles from this period? Maybe because the rifle was developed in 1891.

Tooling was supplied by England I believe. that might be way many threads and such are English threaded vs metric.

I have dozens of those tools, I will give you one. My rule of thumb when setting the firing pin depth. The rear should be flush and line up with the line in the cocking knob.

That's how I've always done it. I don't have a gauge, but I've never had an issue.

Usually when the depth is correct, that situation with the rear being flush and the line matching the notch exists. The rifles isn't exactly a precision tool considering who the main users are. (ie peasants)

Back
Top Bottom