• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin Collectors dispair...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking around the local shop just kind of window shopping as I do, when I came across a bolt action labelled "Remington." It looked like a mosin, so naturally I was entrigued. I'd know that Remington had a small production of them in the late 1910s. What I saw made me want to cry:

The stock had been cut and sanded down, the heat cover on top had been removed, the barrel had been sawed and sanded down, so it no longer had an original front sight. But it was definitely original. I recognized the Rem 1918 markings, the hex reciever, and the original rear sight right away. At first, i thought about picking this up as a parts gun and taking the sight off it to install on my Dragoon, but with out the original front sight... I just don't see the point at paying $200 for it. Plus since it looks like the barrel length has been reduced, I can't restore it either like i've done with some of my guns in the past. I also saw a 36 Mas there which I had been looking for for a while, but that had similar modifications to it, so to me it was worthless.

So i guess besides reporting my disgust, my two questions are this, 1. does either of those guns have ANY value left to them? 2. (At the risk of insulting people) What kind of idiot would do that to historical guns![angry]

A few distributors had Remington chopped barreled receivers a while back for really cheap money. Could be one of those that someone tried to make use of, or it could be a left over sporter that someone did a long time ago. Don't forget, these rifles were intended for export to foreign milityary and the contract fell through. Remington took a hit and was bailed out by the US who eventually sold off the rifles at around $4 back in the late 20's. Back then a lot of people were buying cheap rifles and sporterizing them. Many of these rifles wound up as truck guns and were left to rot.

$200 is a rip off! The rifle is worth $75 at best as a hunter or project.

A few distributors had Remington chopped barreled receivers a while back for really cheap money. Could be one of those that someone tried to make use of, or it could be a left over sporter that someone did a long time ago. Don't forget, these rifles were intended for export to foreign milityary and the contract fell through. Remington took a hit and was bailed out by the US who eventually sold off the rifles at around $4 back in the late 20's. Back then a lot of people were buying cheap rifles and sporterizing them. Many of these rifles wound up as truck guns and were left to rot.

$200 is a rip off! The rifle is worth $75 at best as a hunter or project.

BTW, the infamous Mosin pic was revived on Arfcom about a month ago. I think the OP might have an aneurysm if he saw that.

2. (At the risk of insulting people) What kind of idiot would do that to historical guns![angry][/QUOTE]
I bet when the work was done the gun was far from being historical and was a cheap way for someone to get a hunting rifle. Can't blame anyone for that, if it is was done recently then yes they are an idiot.

Bubba's Gunsmithing formula: take a $100 milsurp, add $200 worth of labor, $300 worth of aftermarket stock and optics, and wind up with a rifle worth $75 while calling it a "good deal".

Or, you can make something truly unique.

74c.jpg

Courtesy of Zero Hour Arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom