• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin 91/59 SWEET

Picked it up last Sat, range sun.
First round I thought I forgot to put in my ear plugs, and then people started moving away from me on the line, the fireball and concusion are quite impressive.
1942 dated 91/59, all numbers match, nothing forced, bore still needs some cleaning, but it shoots really well.

I'm afraid I might be getting Mosinitis [wink]

9159-1.jpg

9159-2.jpg

9159-5.jpg

9159-6.jpg

9159-3a.jpg

Caution: Mosin Nagant's multiply and will soon take up all your time and money! But they are a ton of fun and cheap to shoot. Looks like you have a nice one there. The fireball is sweet at dusk.

If you look at the last picture, you will see the 1891/59 stamp on the barrel just below the rear sight.
That is what makes it a 91/59, 91/59's were made from cut down 91/30's also it uses a different front sight. There is additional info on 7.62x54r.net too.

Last edited:
If you look at the last picture, you will see the 1891/59 stamp on the barrel just below the rear sight.
That is what makes it a 91/59, 91/59's were made from cut down 91/30's also it uses a different front sight. There is additional info on 7.62x54r.net too.

Ah, missed that ! Told you I was probably wrong and I was right!

I convinced a new shooter to buy a mosin and a case of ammo. I was there for his first shot. Wet he weighs about 140lbs. I thought for sure he was going to drop it. I dont think he blinked or closed his mouth for 5 min. He was not exspecting the kick or noise[rofl]
I have been putting off my own mosin, Im waiting on a garand from CMP and been ordering ammo for that. Now that the garand is on back order I may get a mosin to hold me over. I have to many caliper's as it is. I was going to by a mosin of a NES member until my PC crapped out a few weeks ago. Set me back a few pennies of fun money.

I've never fired my 91/59 (nor one of the M44s, the M38, the Type 53, one of the 91/30s, or one of the M39s)

why do you call it a 91/59 ?

It looks like a Mod 39 to me. The size and the wood look like the 39.

I'm probably wrong. I'm sure milsurps4me will know.

I think you meant it looks like a Model 38. A model 39 is the Finn rifle with a completely different stock and sights. The 91/59 are cut down 91's but the 38 were made as carbines however at a quick glance they look almost the same.. Nice rifles. That one is especially nice since its a Tula....nice rifle,very nice rifle.

nope, I meant 39. The 39 is longer than the 38 but shorter than the 91.

My 39 on top and my 38 on the bottom.

2mosins_38_39%20800x212.jpg

but it's irrelevant because it's plainly marked 91. I just thought the length of the op was shorter than a typical 91 and the wood looked more like the wood on my 39, not laminated like many MN's and my 38 and 91/30..

Last edited:
nope, I meant 39. The 39 is longer than the 38 but shorter than the 91.

My 39 on top and my 38 on the bottom.

2mosins_38_39%20800x212.jpg

but it's irrelevant because it's plainly marked 91. I just thought the length of the op was shorter than a typical 91 and the wood looked more like the wood on my 39, not laminated like many MN's and my 38 and 91/30..

OK, never disagree with a mod....

(the 39 has a pistol grip stock, a different hand guard and completely different front sight. That's what I meant. )

The only thing they really have in common are the receivers which are both of Russian manufacture. M39's sure are nice rifles don't you agree[smile].

The 91/59 is functionally and dimensionally identical to the M38. The rifle pictured is most definitely NOT an M39.

silly mod

Back
Top Bottom