• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moron at the gun shop.....

The local gun shop was having a small event this morning. A local radio station was broadcasting from the shop. I decided to stop in on my way to work and show my support. I have gotten to know the owners pretty well over the past couple of months and we were shooting the BS....a customer is in their looking for a OWB holster for his 1911. While talking to one of the owners he pulls the gun out of his waist and sweeps across me and the owner...I instinctively ducted then proceed to stay out of the line of fire. The dip shits finger was on the trigger!! [angry]
I was about to say something but out respect for the owners I just moved to the other side of the shop. After the idiot put his gun away I caught the owners eye and we bother kinda rolled our eyes at each other. [rolleyes]

I wish they had said something to him or maybe I should have, but they are a new store and probably didn't want to embarrass a potential customer....next time I won't be so nice...I hope there isn't a next time. [hmmm]

Last edited:
The local gun shop was having a a small event this morning. A local radio station was broadcasting from the shop. I decided to stop in on my way to work and show my support. I have gotten to know the owners pretty well over the past couple of months and we were shooting the BS....a customer is in their looking for a OWB holster for his 1911. While talking to one of the owners he pulls the gun out of his waist and sweeps across me and the owner...I instinctively ducted then proceed to stay out of the line of fire. The dip shits finger was on the trigger!! [angry]
I was about to say something but out respect for the owners I just moved to the other side of the shop. After the idiot put his gun away I caught the owners eye and we bother kinda rolled our eyes at each other. [rolleyes]

I wish they had said something to him or maybe I should have, but they are a new store and probably didn't want to embarrass a potential customer....next time I won't be so nice...I hope there isn't a next time. [hmmm]

You should have asked what his screen name here was

Everyone one of us owes it to each other , anyone watching, learning and that guy to say something when we see someone practicing bad habits like that. Somewhere along the path he either didnt learn the 2 absolutes or just got lazy, I would have said something, if he didnt like it I dont care.

Always say something! I don't blame you for not wanting too but if the store owner does not it is your place too and nobody wants an accident.

Everyone one of us owes it to each other , anyone watching, learning and that guy to say something when we see someone practicing bad habits like that. Somewhere along the path he either didnt learn the 2 absolutes or just got lazy, I would have said something, if he didnt like it I dont care.

I agree. You NEED to tell people...the next time someone might not be so lucky...

To be honest, I don't know what makes me more angry. The guy who swept everyone in the store with his sidearm, or you for not attempting to correct him.

For all he knows, he did nothing wrong, and will most likely not take action to correct his habits.

You can only take the philosophy of "mind your own buisness" so far before inaction begins to endanger other people.

I wish they had said something to him or maybe I should have, but they are a new store and probably didn't want to embarrass a potential customer....

So they'd rather have a potential customer get shot in their store? Seems to me that would be worse for future business than a polite warning to the ignoramus...

I've unintentionally swept someone in a gun shop with a 'new out of the box' firearm. I'm man enough (and faceless enough here) to admit it.

Didn't know I was doing it until someone firmly put his hand on my shoulder and said "woah, cowboy."

Felt like an idiot, but I learned. Immediately. Or I'd like to think that I did. All thanks to some unknown man in a gun shop I'll never meet ever again.

Bitch slap him right there!! When its fresh in the mind is the best time for correction, along with a big dose of embarrassment. Hell, if it went off, there would be a whole different thread title here. Stupidity thrives when left to thrive, stomp on it!!

I recall one visit I made in my early days of gun shopping. I was holding the gun and my finger was on the trigger. The guy behind the counter said "Sir, it is never a good idea to point a gun at somebody while your finger is on the trigger unless you plan on shooting him." I apologized and learned my lesson. I also ended up buying my first gun from him a few months later after I had participated in some training on safe handling.

and here I was thinking this was going to be about someone who was on SEAL Force Delta.

A nice, friendly reminder would have been a good thing to do. No need to be an asswad about it, but just "Hey buddy, let's not forget the cardinal rules of firearm safety......"

This ^ is the downfall of the human race. I am sure you are a big enough boy you could have found a respectfully way to help the guy out.

I personally would have said something...A friend of mine was letting his sister "hold" his gun so she could look at it..she knows and has used firearms.."somehow" she put 3 bullets into the ceiling of their Dad's home...she said "she did not think it was loaded"..needless to say he was not to happy...

It is a sorry sign of the times. Back in the day, your pappy would wallop you for doing that when you were 8 years old, and you got the message really quick. Nowadays, you have grown adults getting their first guns without ever having shot before. Unless they have had some really good instruction...they are going to be acting like little kids just starting out.

Your all right I should have said something....I guess I was in shock or something. I do plan to talk to the owner next time I'm in there about it, I'm sure he will take any criticism well. I would have expected it more from a young guy (not that you young guys are all stupid) but this guy was probably in his fifties not that that means anything...I'm guessing it was his first gun and he only got it recently. I guess its a good argument for firearms training before you CC or buy a gun.

... she put 3 bullets [STRIKE]into[/STRIKE] through the ceiling of their Dad's home...

... I wonder where they came down!

I would bet that by wildly and forcefully ducking out of the path of the muzzle, you made your point without confronting the ignorant shopper...

... But I will confess that I am always far more concerned with a customer's carry gun than I am with a shopper flashing bystanders with a store gun from the case.

I would have expected it more from a young guy (not that you young guys are all stupid) but this guy was probably in his fifties not that that means anything

You must not go to the same ranges/shops/etc as I do. In my experience, it's the guys who've been shooting for decades who scare me the most.

You must not go to the same ranges/shops/etc as I do. In my experience, it's the guys who've been shooting for decades who scare me the most.

Just enough experience to do major damage, not enough experience to know not to.

For the short while I took martial arts lessons, the instructor always used to say this about the students nearing the end of the basic programs.

Back
Top Bottom