• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Morning doe.

Got a nice doe this morning. Brought my muzzle loader with me today, luckily. I had six does come out about 100 yards from me. Watched them for a minute or so and determined there was no buck so I picked one out and let rip at about 95 yards. Plugged her good and she took two steps and fell over. Unfortunately the tide was on it's way up and I had to do a little mud slogging to get to her and drag her out of the tidal swamp where I was hunting. While I was dressing the deer three more came out and ran past me at about 30 yards. Nine deer total sighted within 1/2 an hour. I call that a good day. 90 lbs., dressed. She will be some tasty.
001obaj.jpg
[/IMG]

YOU KILLED BAMBI!!! Kidding... Is that wound an entry or exit? The size tells me it's an entry but the way the wound is sticking out that's telling me exit... She'll be some good eatin...

That is the exit, Ma**h***. Im using the TC 250 grain Shockwaves over 2 50 grain Triple 777 pellets. They really dont expand much at any range. I suppose they would expand more with three pellets but they whack the deer good and make two holes. Looks like they may expand up to around .60 cal judging from the exit wounds.Ive never recovered one after the shot. I used the Powerbelt soft points one year and although they killed the deer they also exploded and it was just fragments entering the body cavity and very often without an exit wound. I want two holes here on Nantucket for a good blood trail if need be. Anything to avoid having to chase them around in this miserable scrub oak tangle we have here.

Good shooting and nice spot you got there. 9 deer in 1/2 hour I bet you got a bunch of guys drooling on the board for your spot.

One doe . How many ticks ?

About a hundred thousand. The deer are crawling with ticks. The deer I got earlier in the year during bow season had even more. At this point I'm on the Kill'em All side of things. I was against eradicating the deer here on island in an attempt to quell the Lyme's' , babesiosis and a host of other diseases they carry . Ive changed my mind. All three boys have had Lymes in the last 4 months and I lost my dog two weeks ago due to complications from ehrlichiosis, another tick borne disease. She was a good dog and that really pissed me off. They can release anthrax or Blue Tongue for all I care at this point.

Last edited:
That is the exit, Ma**h***. Im using the TC 250 grain Shockwaves over 2 50 grain Triple 777 pellets. They really dont expand much at any range. I suppose they would expand more with three pellets but they whack the deer good and make two holes. Looks like they may expand up to around .60 cal judging from the exit wounds.Ive never recovered one after the shot. I used the Powerbelt soft points one year and although they killed the deer they also exploded and it was just fragments entering the body cavity and very often without an exit wound. I want two holes here on Nantucket for a good blood trail if need be. Anything to avoid having to chase them around in this miserable scrub oak tangle we have here.
Great job tasty one there. I also shoot the same load out of my omega.

Back
Top Bottom