More reliable than a Glock 19?

hillman

NES Member
I had one of those new "gun people", the ones suddenly interested in buying a gun after years of voting Anti- ask me what they should buy that's "more reliable than a Glock 19 which you can't buy here."

I did not tell him I bought a brand new Gen 5 Glock 19 a few weeks ago here because he's one of those friggin' morons that won't believe anything unless it's on the "news".

Then I thought about the question. More reliable than a Glock 19? Well, a specific 1911 CAN be, but in general no. Sig P220/226/229? H&K USP, VP9? I mean, at what point are they pretty much all the same in reliability? I've had few guns that were pretty much 100% reliable once you take the user out of the equation, or bad ammo, etc. I have a Sig P320c, and an M&P 9c 2.0 that have never had a single issue, but also I have owned half a dozen 1911s and only one ever gave me an issue, right from the factory. Modern handguns are just really reliable, I mean I don't think there's a wrong answer with modern firearms, except a few that are ammo-picky. I mean Springfield XD, Beretta, CZ... not many ways to go wrong these days.

So, knowing that I can't stand this turd, one of those people you want to punch just looking at their smarmy faces, I told him the best advice I could think of.

"You really want reliable, look for an older Smith & Wesson Sigma series pistol. They are without a doubt the best, most reliable guns around. The older the better. If you can't find one of those, try to get a Desert Eagle in .50. Remember only the gold plated or tiger striped ones have the special rail coating that makes them reliable. Also, buy it online and have it shipped right to your home. If that doesn't work, drive to Indiana and buy one using the gun show loophole. It works best in Indiana."

Glock has a 17 in a case at there headquarters in Georgia with A few hundred thousand rounds through it. And every year they take it out and shoot it once. Never changed a thing on it. If I can find the article I’ll post it.

I had one of those new "gun people", the ones suddenly interested in buying a gun after years of voting Anti- ask me what they should buy that's "more reliable than a Glock 19 which you can't buy here."

I did not tell him I bought a brand new Gen 5 Glock 19 a few weeks ago here because he's one of those friggin' morons that won't believe anything unless it's on the "news".

Then I thought about the question. More reliable than a Glock 19? Well, a specific 1911 CAN be, but in general no. Sig P220/226/229? H&K USP, VP9? I mean, at what point are they pretty much all the same in reliability? I've had few guns that were pretty much 100% reliable once you take the user out of the equation, or bad ammo, etc. I have a Sig P320c, and an M&P 9c 2.0 that have never had a single issue, but also I have owned half a dozen 1911s and only one ever gave me an issue, right from the factory. Modern handguns are just really reliable, I mean I don't think there's a wrong answer with modern firearms, except a few that are ammo-picky. I mean Springfield XD, Beretta, CZ... not many ways to go wrong these days.

So, knowing that I can't stand this turd, one of those people you want to punch just looking at their smarmy faces, I told him the best advice I could think of.

"You really want reliable, look for an older Smith & Wesson Sigma series pistol. They are without a doubt the best, most reliable guns around. The older the better. If you can't find one of those, try to get a Desert Eagle in .50. Remember only the gold plated or tiger striped ones have the special rail coating that makes them reliable. Also, buy it online and have it shipped right to your home. If that doesn't work, drive to Indiana and buy one using the gun show loophole. It works best in Indiana."
There are plenty of reliable guns out there, Glock is certainly in that category.

I was never a "Glock" guy until I got into 3 gun and needed a high capacity pistol. Now I have two, a G17 and a G41.

My issue with Glock has always been aesthetic, they are plain Jane, not High Point fugly, just plain Jane.

However, they shoot really well for me, and are real easy to strip and clean. And you can't beat the aftermarket options and customizability. They are the pistol equivalent of an AR.

For me, with all the newbie training over the years, a revolver wins hands down.
Just putting a semi-auto like a Glock into the hands of anyone (young or old, male or female) who knows nothing about firearms, is like watching a monkey with a calculator.
A revolver? Like a duck to water they know what the hammer is and they lock it back then pull the trigger, or at least go right to double-action choreography.

All said and done, I'm a wheelgunner at heart...

Bought a Gen5 Glock 19 a little over a year ago for my wife. I love the "But those are banned in Massachusetts" comments I get from people.

All I know is that it probably was the most unreliable out of the box gun in the last 20 years or so.

Then I thought about the question. More reliable than a Glock 19? Well, a specific 1911 CAN be, but in general no. Sig P220/226/229? H&K USP, VP9? I mean, at what point are they pretty much all the same in reliability? I've had few guns that were pretty much 100% reliable once you take the user out of the equation, or bad ammo, etc.

To me the real test of reliability is when you leave the user and bad ammo IN the equation, not take them out. Not every owner will be meticulous about cleaning and maintenance, or using the best ammo. If you never clean the gun and all you buy is cheap, shitty, dirty 3rd world ammo to feed it, will it still run flawlessly? Will it still go bang when you absolutely need it? From the torture tests I've seen, a Glock will, like nothing else.

Once you get past a certain threshold in terms of quality, the level of "reliability" kind of blends or reaches a limit like an x-axis.

My P226 has never once had a malfunction. Something I can't say about the first Glock I owned.
That said, Glocks are plenty reliable, as are HKs, Sigs, etc.

Just about any modern striker fired pistol is as good as a Glock. Glock was just the pioneer in the field.

That being said, as a couple other people have said, for an absolute newbie - I'd go with a .38 revolver. They're intuitively easy to use, they rarely jam, and you're less likely to negligently shoot yourself in the leg with it.

I'd stay away from guns like the S&W Airweight - I've got one, and the recoil is shocking because it's so light. Not a newbie friendly revolver.

I'm a Glock guy, they are the Toyota of guns.... simple, functional, work almost all the time, yes they have a couple of issues ( bullet setback in 40 S&W after repeated chamberings causing over pressurization and blown up guns)

I am old, I remember a time before Glock, when there was the 1911 and not much else in the mainstream except for revolvers.

IMHO a S&W revolver is the most reliable gun, and the perfect first gun... and I was just having this discussion with someone who is like a daughter to me who is considering getting her first gun... and I suggested a revolver because I am 1500 miles away and cant teach her the finer points of tap, rack and roll, how to safely clear the weapon, how not to get slide bite, etc.

I got my first Glock somewhere around 1991, before that it was J and K frame revolvers, and I never had an issue or a worry when carrying or shooting one.

"Limp Wrist" a Glock ...... and you are going to have a problem... and that is something that like T,R &R has to be taught

IMHO a GOOD revolver ( no Taurus, Rossi, etc) is going to fire every time

I am not an operator but my G26 and VP9 have never had an issue after 1,000s of rounds and frankly I am not the best at cleaning, etc. Then again never had a failure on my revolvers either. I am lucky and blessed 😎

Well put

I suppose a wheel gun really is a great learning gun.

But I'm not sure I could bring myself to carry one......bunk, # of rounds....reloading......ugh

Not when you can stuff a 17 or 19 round mag in the plastic gun and have it weigh less
I carry at least one every day, either as a B.U.G. a main or both... Depending on weather or social disposition.

I've never felt outgunned with full-house .357mag...

Edit:
I do carry a G23 or a G30 from time to time... happily.

I wouldn't tell him because he's gonna sit back in a few years and bitch about what a joke the state's gun laws are.

Why does everyone forget REVOLVERS...?!

Usually because its just not the 1800's anymore. Lets face it, revolvers suffer a capacity issue and reputable modern firearms are just as reliable.[pot]

I can't get my 226 to not run. Nothing I do short of intentionally feeding it snap caps will make it not run.

My G19 has FTE a few times on me, probably from limpwristing. Both are boringly reliable.

On the other hand I had a 686's ejector rod back out from shooting heavy loads, locked the thing up so tight I had to take it to a gunsmith. I told him 'sorry for bringing in a loaded gun' and he said 'that thing aint firing'

As reliable as a Glock is or any modern handgun is nothing is ever without a potential hiccup, practice is the best way to overcome anything. Malfunction drills are best no matter what gun your life depends on, I’ve had this conversation with people and I always tell them that malfunction drills are your best bet regardless of the gun your carrying

Back
Top Bottom