• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More reliable than a Glock 19?

This is accurate, but my point was more about training a 'newbie' like the OP said his guy was.
I've found it much easier to start someone on a revolver than a Semi.
I thoroughly count on my semi-autos also, and have vetted them as such.

My post was just an opinion and may not be what you have found.
~Enbloc

In all honesty, I didn’t see the part about training a newbie so I may very well have spoken out of line

I reckon a broadsword is more reliable than a glock 19, doesn’t require an LTC, and he can buy one on Amazon. The way Amazon is these days, if he has paid extra for a Prime account, it should be delivered free on November 5th.

To me the real test of reliability is when you leave the user and bad ammo IN the equation, not take them out. Not every owner will be meticulous about cleaning and maintenance, or using the best ammo. If you never clean the gun and all you buy is cheap, shitty, dirty 3rd world ammo to feed it, will it still run flawlessly? Will it still go bang when you absolutely need it? From the torture tests I've seen, a Glock will, like nothing else.
This! Ten years and nothing but Glocks except a FN Five-seven. My first firearms instructor (RIP Tommy) said, "If you think you are going to a gunfight, bring a 1911, if you know you are going to a gunfight, bring a Glock." Extremely reliable and outstanding customer service. Simple to operate and simple to maintain. My recommendation would be a G19 (perfect for CCW and HD) or a G26.

Out of the four Glocks and the Beretta 92FS I've owned i never had a single malfunction. My j-frame and k-frame went bang every time. S&W Sigma? Bought one before I knew any better...terrible trigger and malfed entirely too much. Sig P320 was nice to shoot...but ammo picky and I have no use for a SD gun that's picky about what it eats.

Everyone's first handgun, esp EDC handgun, should be a revolver. NOT a Glock.

Glocks when carried are effectively "cocked and not locked". So many NDs when reholstering easy to search on. Same with all striker fired pistols without a safety (except HK P7).
Each could be fine with proper training but risk is higher with striker

Glocks when carried are effectively "cocked and not locked". So many NDs when reholstering easy to search on. Same with all striker fired pistols without a safety (except HK P7).

[popcorn]

Sig guys love decock.
I wouldn’t classify myself as a fanboy of any one brand because I really do like any gun company that makes a quality product and is always at least pushing the R&D line, legal rights. As somebody who owns a number of Sigs that made my day for some stupid reasons.

Last edited:
I haven’t tortured enough guns to really speak with any authority as to what’s more or less reliable (or how you even measure that, if it’s FTF, rate of component failure, etc) but I have a hard time imaging anything tougher than a P226.

you almost got me with this, very nice bait.

You sir, are one majorly disturbed individual. The YouTube generation has no idea how much fun it was to reassemble a Mark III before the internet.
Well there’s that and as an (for the time being) under 30 individual I also get the bonus of just having access to the mk IV as the first version I have owned. Not saying they are made better, but they sure are easier. 😉

I agree. Why are you toying with this guy? If we can even get him from being a complete anti to a fence sitter then we are winning the war.

Give him good advice, tell him the process, and see what happens next. Could be the next NES top poster who knows? I've seen it happen before.
Yeah, 67ray is right. But don't tell him for a week or so, cuz it is just too funny.

OK, since you insist, I just got back from the range with my glock 23... Installed a conversion barrel to 9mm and shot it for the first time. I found the 40 cal mag would shoot ok with 9mm but occasionally stovepipe, but the 9mm magpul mag fired great. so I am set for the zombie apocolypse, one hand gun and I can scoop whatever ammo I can find....As far as 9mm vs 40?? now that I have both barrels?? I really DGAF ;)
I have conversion barrels for both my 229 and 226, and prebans for both as well, and maybe I am just lucky, but have never had a malfunction in either of them, with any caliber or ammo. I personally prefer the 40, but it is awesome to be able to change calibers in 30 seconds when teaching a newbie to shoot.

The first day I got my LTC I bought a 686 and 226. Still have them both, still love them both. The 226 is a great gun, but i enjoy shooting the 686 more and probably shoot it more often. However, with the short reset trigger, weapon light and laser, the 226 is what sits in the nightstand safe.
1587082981679.png

I just watched the video instructions for that. I honestly had no idea any gun could be so complicated to take down.
Yep, I traded one for a Walther just because I hated cleaning the thing so much. It was accurate as hell, but didn't like to run dirty. It was such a pain in the ass to reassemble it that I decided I had better things to do with my life than to f*** with it for hours. Probably spent as much time putting it back together as actually shooting it.

Took my non gun owning friend to the range and gave her my G19 to fire her first shot ever. Every single one was a stove pipe. Full sized .38 might be a better choice for an absolute newbie till they work on grip. As Boris said - 'heavy is good. heavy is reliable. if it doesn't work you can always hit him with it.'

Tell him to get a Ruger P89, P95, P90, SR, 345, etc. They are SUPER reliable, some a bit "big boned" but with a nice personality. All are reliable. Cost is nice as well.

There's always something new coming out to challenge the G19. They have to prove the test of time which Glock has done for over 35 yrs. With that said, I would recommend the FN 509M as an alternative. Same size as the G19 and it has been perfect for me. The FN definitely has a good reputation. Another one that just came out but not Ma compliant yet is the Mossberg MC2. Also the same size as the G19 and if it is reliable should be a good one.

Back
Top Bottom