• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More reliable than a Glock 19?

Yeah. I read that HK has increased the mag capacity from 15 to 17, not that it does me any good here. I can't really use any pre bans for the Glock as I switched the mag release for my wife as she's a lefty.
Not just that, the new VP9s are factory milled for optics, as well as some other improvements.

As soon as the COVID stuff's over, if my employment stuff isn't negatively impacted, I'm picking up one of the 2020 VP9s.

Not just that, the new VP9s are factory milled for optics, as well as some other improvements.

As soon as the COVID stuff's over, if my employment stuff isn't negatively impacted, I'm picking up one of the 2020 VP9s.
You'll love it. I was looking for something fully ambidextrous. It was down to that and the FN 509. I bought mine before they came out with the button mag release option and have found that I actually like the paddle release better.

You'll love it. I was looking for something fully ambidextrous. It was down to that and the FN 509. I bought mine before they came out with the button mag release option and have found that I actually like the paddle release better.
I'm left handed and that's part of the draw for me. Planning to eventually put a trijicon on there.

I traded a VP9 for a 4" M&P 2.0, which I like better. YMMV, though. Like others have said, most high quality pistols today are going to be extremely reliable. Faults are mostly due to bad ammo or a poor grip.

With that said, if I am carrying a double stack 9mm, it will be a pistol that I can get pre-ban standard capacity magazines for, which means something like a Glock 17/19, SIG P226/P228 or Beretta 92. (Swap in .40 equivalent if you prefer.) I have shot all of them a lot and my personal preference is the Glock but YMMV.

Why does everyone forget REVOLVERS...?!
View attachment 346531

revolvers are not exactly any more reliable these days , any good quality auto loading pistols on the market will be as , and most likely, more reliable than today’s revolvers

and in the event of the auto loader having a issue it is much more serviceable by the user than a revolver

when revolvers go down , they go down for the count , and it happens quite a bit

Only issue I’ve had with a Glock was with my 19. It had a soft extractor that failed almost immediately. The other six Glocks I’ve owned never had a hiccup.

revolvers are not exactly any more reliable these days , any good quality auto loading pistols on the market will be as , and most likely, more reliable than today’s revolvers

and in the event of the auto loader having a issue it is much more serviceable by the user than a revolver

when revolvers go down , they go down for the count , and it happens quite a bit
This is accurate, but my point was more about training a 'newbie' like the OP said his guy was.
I've found it much easier to start someone on a revolver than a Semi.
I thoroughly count on my semi-autos also, and have vetted them as such.

My post was just an opinion and may not be what you have found.
~Enbloc

I guess my point would be if you keep comparing everything to a Glock for reliability...the Glock set the standard for reliability...so get a Glock.

If someone already stated this, I apologize

"You really want reliable, look for an older Smith & Wesson Sigma series pistol. They are without a doubt the best, most reliable guns around. The older the better. If you can't find one of those, try to get a Desert Eagle in .50. Remember only the gold plated or tiger striped ones have the special rail coating that makes them reliable. Also, buy it online and have it shipped right to your home. If that doesn't work, drive to Indiana and buy one using the gun show loophole. It works best in Indiana."

Don't forget, the Sigma a direct copy of the glock. So much so that Glock successfully sued S&W over patent infringment. And parts would interchange.

So it must be just as reliable.

I had a Gen 3 Glock 34 that I ran to 32,000 rounds shooting IDPA for several years. I kept a log with the gun and it never ONCE failed to fire, eject and load any factory ammo or inspected hand loads.

Not ONCE.

I had my share of failures during load development. But thats not the gun's fault. Also, my Dillon 650 will flip a primer about every 300 rounds. So if I don't inspect, I will get a dud. I don't inspect practice ammo. Its good to get the malfunction drill experience.

But match ammo is plonk tested in the Glock barrel and inspected for primer orientation and to make sure it is recessed just a bit. The gun ran 100% with inspected ammo also.

I don't know how much better you could ask for.

Another experience was when I took 2 - 2day back to back classes at Sig with a Gen4 G19. The was shot from retention, where its easier to limp wrist for some of the class and from improvised cover other times. That gun also had ZERO malfunctions in 4 days and 2200 rounds.

The funny thing is that the 2 handguns I shoot most are Glock and 1911s. The Glock is the Honda accord. Decent performing, ridiculously reliable, eminently hot rodable.

The 1911 is the finicky european sports car. Sexy, a bit outdated in how its built, but amazing.

I traded a VP9 for a 4" M&P 2.0, which I like better. YMMV, though. Like others have said, most high quality pistols today are going to be extremely reliable. Faults are mostly due to bad ammo or a poor grip.

With that said, if I am carrying a double stack 9mm, it will be a pistol that I can get pre-ban standard capacity magazines for, which means something like a Glock 17/19, SIG P226/P228 or Beretta 92. (Swap in .40 equivalent if you prefer.) I have shot all of them a lot and my personal preference is the Glock but YMMV.
Yes, I always tell people it's best to try before you buy. I initially thought I wanted an M&P until I tried it side by side with a P226, and I bought the Sig

Similarly, I sold my Glock 19 as I found I didn't "bond" with it.

Just what nes needed.....another thread with a "story"....that is really nothing but a thinly veiled excuse for all the Glock guys to chime in about how perfect their Glocks are.

🙄

Last edited:
It's been a while since we've been an "unreliable" pistol. I don't believe that one gun is significantly more reliable than another in the same class. Moreover, modern guns are meant to take a serious beating, as in thousands of rounds fired without cleaning. I shoot cheap steel ammo out of all my guns. All go bang every time. I've been shooting for 8 years and only had a handful of failures.

Glocks are reliable, and so are many many others.
Go compare a sig or Smith or colt 1911 to a para ordinance 1911 and tell me if one gun isn't significantly more reliable in the same class.

Go compare a sig or Smith or colt 1911 to a para ordinance 1911 and tell me if one gun isn't significantly more reliable in the same class.
I think 1911's are a completely different ballgame. Those tolerances are on a whole new level.

What about CZ? I tried someone else’s a few years ago and really liked it. It seemed be be very well made. I think for some models you can also find pb mags, right?

The funny thing is that the 2 handguns I shoot most are Glock and 1911s. The Glock is the Honda accord. Decent performing, ridiculously reliable, eminently hot rodable.

The 1911 is the finicky european sports car. Sexy, a bit outdated in how its built, but amazing.

Definitely sig worthy.

I had one for a while. I felt guilty trying to sell it. The gun was reliable but patterned more than it grouped. 6" at 10 yards was about right.
Truth be told, I run CCI through it and I rarely have an issue. I bought it mainly for friends who have never shot before to get the feel of it though since picking up a Buck Mark, which my friends prefer using more, I hardy bring it along.

Outside of revolvers, Sig standard stuff like 226/229 is very tried and true.

Also are about the simplest guns to strip, could do mine by feel.

Nothing wrong with a Glock either but in terms of lifetime I'd say big a Sig in 9mm is as close to forever/reliable as you get in an auto loading pistol.

Sig guys love decock.

Back
Top Bottom