• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More problems getting a Class A (update 12/23)

Urj

I just recently moved to a Green town from what is the epitome of a B rammer. My sole reason for moving was to get a Class A ALP.

I called today to schedule an appointment to get my new license rolling and was told that:

1 - I cannot have two LTC's.

I know this but I'm not planning to have two, I want only one license.

2 - The licensing officer doesn't know if I can "upgrade" until my license from the first town expires.

3 - If I can "upgrade" I will have to take the safety course again.

The licensing officer is going to call the CHSB and speak with her superior to find out exactly what the law is. So far the experience has been exponentially more positive than dealing with my last town.

Does anyone know anything about this situation? Has anyone moved to a new town in order to get a class A ALP? I need help here.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about this situation? Has anyone moved to a new town in order to get a class A ALP? I need help here.

when i moved to westford, i was able to get my restricted class A from medford removed and given a new westford ALP.

your original license needs to be expired early, then you will have to repay the fees to the new city and re apply for the new LTC.

its basically a early expiration and a renewal.

That's what I thought, but she doesn't think so.

I upgraded from an FID to a Class B in my last town so I was sure it could be done.

Another thing she said was that normally I would have to write a letter to my old town where my Class B was issued asking permission to cancel that license and then apply for a new Class A from the new town.

If that's the case what happens to my guns while I have no license?

I hate this state!

I upgraded from an FID to a Class B in my last town so I was sure it could be done.

Another thing she said was that normally I would have to write a letter to my old town where my Class B was issued asking permission to cancel that license and then apply for a new Class A from the new town.

I hate this state!

I don't think this is quite the same, since you can have an FID and an LTC. Two different types of license. As for the removal of the restriction, a friend of mine who moved from Salem to Georgetown is trying to do the same thing and ran into the same type of problem. The new PD didn't know off hand how to proceed. It seems to be another convoluted grey area. Surprise, surprise.

I hate this state!

just keep the person in charge of licensing motivated to try and find out what the exact course of action is. the lady that does it in westford is excellent. she wasnt 100% sure, but she quickly found out how to do it on her end and it was done very fast.

after about a 3 week wait from start to finish, i gave her my old LTC and picked up my new one.

You legally can't hold on to them. You need to leave them and your ammo, hi-cap mags, ammo components, blah, blah with a licensed individual for them to hold in a secure way (find someone with a big safe..., not doobie...[smile]). I don't think you need to file F/A 10s since then that actually transfers the ownership to them but jdubois will come along with that detail I am sure.

During that time, you leave them in the house. The license need not be expired until the new one is approved.

I just got off the phone with the licensing authority. She called the CHSB and was told that there is no method to change from a class B to a class A and that I would have to wait until my LTC expired before I could get a class A.

As far as I can tell all I can do now is get in touch with GOAL, and start calling some lawyers.

Thank you Commonwealth of Massachusetts for f***ing me yet again!

As has been stated, it can be done as demonstrated by the simple and undeniable fact that it has been done. As to your firearms during the period without a license, that shouldn't be a problem, since the old license can be expired the same day that the new license is issued. I hate to make more work for the good guys, but suggest that they talk to Westford PD to find out how they managed this "impossible" feat.

Ken

I know that, and you know that. It's impossible to try and explain anything like that to them, and as far as their concerned that's the end of it. I tried to explain that I had talked to others who had done this and she didn't want to hear it.

I don't doubt that she was told these things by CHSB. I just believe CHSB is full of retards. That being said, does anyone have any other suggestions besides agreeing with the situation?

Very simple, make the application for an A unrestricted, verify up front that the local LEO will not deny you on "suitability", have them send it in to CHSB, it will be issued.

If your local PD won't take the application, talk to an attorney.

You legally can't hold on to them. You need to leave them and your ammo, hi-cap mags, ammo components, blah, blah with a licensed individual for them to hold in a secure way (find someone with a big safe..., not doobie...[smile]). I don't think you need to file F/A 10s since then that actually transfers the ownership to them but jdubois will come along with that detail I am sure.

Well, as others have said, you can have one license expire on the day the new one is put into effect, so it doesn't matter. But if you truly are in a 'no license' situation, just physically giving them to somebody who is licensed won't work, technically, because you not only cannot possess them but you cannot own them either. So your legal choices are to either get them out of state, or transfer them away (either with FA-10s if your license hasn't yet expired, or to an FFL).

get your change of adress going 1st, then work on the rest of the BS. you need to do the change of adress, I believe you just need to contact the chsb

If you were going to move just to obtain a LTC unrestricted, you should have gone a bit further north.

Once you cross that state line your current LTC will no longer be valid. A resident NH LTC is just a formality, and you will be able to get a MA non-res LTC-A ALP without a problem.

Simple solution. Other than that, pay for a lawyer to fight the uphill battle.

I just got off the phone with the licensing authority. She called the CHSB and was told that there is no method to change from a class B to a class A and that I would have to wait until my LTC expired before I could get a class A.

As far as I can tell all I can do now is get in touch with GOAL, and start calling some lawyers.

Thank you Commonwealth of Massachusetts for f***ing me yet again!

I know from experience that's untrue. At one point several years ago my local PD had issued me a 'B' and subsequently issued me an 'A'. I kept and used both of them until they expired.

You can only hold one active LTC at a time. Although you probably didn't realize it, your B was no longer valid the second the A was issued.

Back
Top Bottom