• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More positive feedback from the N.O. PD

Watching that video makes me a tad angry. :x I wish I could have 30 seconds with each arresting officer, including the a**h*** on the horse. That city is a disaster.

I'm glad to see they've been charged. When I first saw this last night they had been suspended, officials were "uncertain if charges would be filed." I am surprised only two have been charge though.

Let's hope they can start to get things back to normal there without too many additional incidents.

CD

Sorry CD but my comment was directed to Derek's second post in the thread. I should have used the quotes.

What's kind of ridiculous is that the whole time the victim just has a dazed look on his face. I could almost understand if the guy was flailing and making himself appear dangerous, but he's just a drunk old guy. F*ing douchebags...

JonJ said:
Sorry CD but my comment was directed to Derek's second post in the thread. I should have used the quotes.

Jon,

Rabit punching a 64 year old man against a brick wall repeatedly is excessive. Watch the video...

derek said:
JonJ said:
Jon,

Rabit punching a 64 year old man against a brick wall repeatedly is excessive. Watch the video...

I've seen the vid but most of it was obstucted. I couldn't see what the suspect was doing with his right arm or legs. He could have had one cuff on that right wrist and was flailing his arm, I don't know. All's I'm saying is, we weren't there and we couldn't see everything going on.
Rodney King.....

It does look bad.. However, remember how selective the media is when it cuts these tapes.. I think the Rodney king tape we only got to see 1/3 of the entire events that went down...

I would like to see the entire _uncut_ tape for myself.

Adam

It looks VERY bad and I hate seeing stuff like that right or wrong.
I'd like to see a view from the right but that'll never happen.
The NO PD was very quick to act and that was because they're scared. The media has already condemned the officers and the department as a whole. The quick action by the command staff was damage control to pacify the black community which has shown outrage and demanded action.
The next step will be our "friends" at the FBI and Justice Dept who will move to indict on Civil Rights violations. Innocent or Guilty, those guys are cooked and if guilty, justifiably so.

The media definitely edit this sort of video. I got to see the entire Rodney King tape, complete with the sound track that the media never played. Having seen that, I absolutely would have acquitted all of the officers involved. Having lived there for 15 years, I've got an extremely low opinion of LAPD in general, but had no complaints about the King arrest after having seen the unedited tape.

Ken

Ken is correct with regard to the Rodney King video. The entire sequence of events seen in context paints a far different picture of King's actions and the LAPD response to those actions.

The New Orleans Police Department has not enjoyed a sterling reputation for some time. Police officers there are not well paid and police corruption appears to be systemic according to some reports. The current mayor was elected on an anti-corruption platform.

To what degree the video was edited by the media is open to question and I have to proceed on the premise that the officers in question are innocent until proven otherwise. On the other hand, if they are guilty they get everything they deserve and then some. The problem is that they will be pre-judged. One issue may be change of venue. Since New Orleans is being re-populated, who is available for the jury pool ?

Even if these guys are acquited they will not be immune from civil liability nor from Federal charges.

Regards,

Mark

An update.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/11/taped.beatings/index.html

Acting Police Chief Warren Riley vowed to take "decisive action once we gather all the facts."

He told CNN, "There was too much force used in this particular situation," adding that officers are trained to use "reasonable and necessary" force during arrests. But the officers appear not to have followed procedure.

The force used, Riley said, "was beyond reasonable." He said he did not believe race played a role in the beating.

Back
Top Bottom