More police protecting and serving

Knuckle Dragger

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Got this off of Radley Balko's twitter feed the other day:

I’M A JOURNALIST BUT I DIDN’T FULLY REALIZE THE TERRIBLE POWER OF U.S. BORDER OFFICIALS UNTIL THEY VIOLATED MY RIGHTS AND PRIVACY
After I gave him the password to my iPhone, Moncivias spent three hours reviewing hundreds of photos and videos and emails and calls and texts, including encrypted messages on WhatsApp, Signal, and Telegram. It was the digital equivalent of tossing someone’s house: opening cabinets, pulling out drawers, and overturning furniture in hopes of finding something — anything — illegal. He read my communications with friends, family, and loved ones. He went through my correspondence with colleagues, editors, and sources. He asked about the identities of people who have worked with me in war zones. He also went through my personal photos, which I resented. Consider everything on your phone right now. Nothing on mine was spared.
MONCIVIAS, POMEROY, AND VILLARREAL questioned me for hours on all aspects of my work. They asked about conversations with editors and colleagues. They asked about my political opinions. Moncivias wanted to know how I felt about Trump trying to pull troops from Syria. He asked if I’d had contact with the Taliban there, and I had to explain that the Taliban don’t operate in Syria

Long article, but worth the read. It's clear that CBP has turned into the administration's thought police.

Also, I found 'Rise of the Warrior Cop' in a used bookstore yesterday. I'm hooked. It's likely to be every bit as good as Balko's second book, "
The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South" which I read last year.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’M A JOURNALIST BUT I DIDN’T FULLY REALIZE THE TERRIBLE POWER OF U.S. BORDER OFFICIALS UNTIL THEY VIOLATED MY RIGHTS AND PRIVACY

After I gave him the password to my iPhone, Moncivias spent three hours reviewing hundreds of photos and videos and emails and calls and texts, including encrypted messages on WhatsApp, Signal, and Telegram. It was the digital equivalent of tossing someone’s house: opening cabinets, pulling out drawers, and overturning furniture in hopes of finding something — anything — illegal. He read my communications with friends, family, and loved ones. He went through my correspondence with colleagues, editors, and sources. He asked about the identities of people who have worked with me in war zones. He also went through my personal photos, which I resented. Consider everything on your phone right now. Nothing on mine was spared.
Balko's awesome. I've been following him since he was just a private blogger ("The Agitator"). It's a shame that he's paywalled at WaPo now.

As for the quote: unlocking a phone isn't like unlocking a house. It's far, far worse. Unlocking a phone doesn't just give someone access to what is physically on the phone; it gives them access to information that resides in multiple locations, many of them in other countries. It gives them access to other people's personal information.

Imagine that by unlocking your house via a search warrant, they could also see the contents of your neighbor's house, your lover's diary, your safe deposit box, your correspondence with your lawyer or confessor, etc.

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess when traveling abroad bring a burner phone with no information, buy a new chromebook and use it for storing vacation pictures and then forget everything else. I have my own tales of indignity traveling to other countries but I received the worst treatment flying back to my own home country.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow. The personalities on some of these guys is absurd. That's definitely not the only time that cop has lost his shit.
Different jobs attract different personality types. Some join the force for good reasons, and I'm glad they did. Others, not so much.

Last year @UncleDuke, who apparently did pre-employment evaluations for police agencies, wrote a few very intersting posts. Start with this one and read down. It's short.

The meat of it is:
Because both antisocial and narcissists are drawn to power. Being a police officer gives one certain privileges an opportunity to take liberties which are not afforded to the common man. Someone with an antisocial personality will take advantage of others break the rules wherever and whenever they can as it suits them. Narcissistic individuals feel entitled and want to be seen as “special“, believe that they should be afforded a certain status that others do not have, and get off on this attention (“it’s all about me”).

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

Long article, but worth the read. It's clear that CBP has turned into the administration's thought police.

Also, I found 'Rise of the Warrior Cop' in a used bookstore yesterday. I'm hooked. It's likely to be every bit as good as Balko's second book, "
The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South" which I read last year.
For those interested in this topic if you start digging it starts to get pretty scary pretty fast... granted this lady was a non US citizen but it's still pretty insane the level of retardation going on... meanwhile durkas with a boring burner phone probably sail through....

I Got Banned From the U.S. When Airport Security Found My Coke Texts - VICE

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I guess when traveling abroad bring a burner phone with no information, buy a new chromebook and use it for storing vacation pictures and then forget everything else. I have my own tales of indignity traveling to other countries but I received the worst treatment flying back to my own home country.
I think it's still on Netflix, a series called Border Security. It's rather interesting, although also rather disturbing and half the time I'm rooting for the traveler who's being pestered for pot residue discovered on a surface or something like that. They frequently (usually?) take the phones of travelers they are suspicious of and look through them to see if there is evidence that contradicts their claims about why they're entering the country. e.g. "I'm just here to visit", meanwhile their phone is full of text messages talking about the under the table job that's waiting for them when they get here.

I didn't see any episodes where someone had no phone or a completely blank phone, but I did get the impression that if someone had no or blank phone that that would also "look suspicious" and could be reason for deny entry. e.g. you're visiting relatives in the country but don't have any chats discussing the visit and letting them know you're about to board and here you come, etc? Looks suspicious, and they could deny entry.

I don't necessarily have the perfect solution for that, and for Americans it may be a moot point since they can't actually deport us while entering the country because our phone is blank. They could hold you up for a while but eventually are going to have to somehow let you through. Although, there could be other countries we're traveling to that could try to do likewise with the phone data. Anyway, what I've done before crossing border is just "clean up" the phone. I uninstall all the apps I don't need like banking apps and even FB, back up and then delete all photos, etc. If they're gonna get access to it, I don't need them automatically logging into every other service I use. They can see some boring SMS messages and my rarely used gmail app.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For those interested in this topic if you start digging it starts to get pretty scary pretty fast... granted this lady was a non US citizen but it's still pretty insane the level of retardation going on... meanwhile durkas with a boring burner phone probably sail through....

I Got Banned From the U.S. When Airport Security Found My Coke Texts - VICE
Umm... Did she unlock her phone or something? Can tsa poke around in your phone or was that because she was a furryner coming into the country?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Umm... Did she unlock her phone or something? Can tsa poke around in your phone or was that because she was a furryner coming into the country?
She must have unlocked her phone, and it is the border people, not TSA. She could refuse, but then they could (most likely) also deny entry for refusal. And few people who knew they weren't doing anything wrong would likely refuse.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
It's CBP and they've been bullying people into allowing anal probes of electronic devices. If I ever travel internationally I'm just taking a boring phone with nothing on it...

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I don’t fly anymore - I have no reason to deal with Thousands Standing Around.

I’m hoping that I don’t run into that stupid checkpoint on I93 next time I go to Berlin.
I'm hoping to go through that checkpoint buy just to troll them. Just as I am pulling up, I will yell to my passengers "Quick! Hide the Mexicans!" I'm sure we will all get a good laugh, those border guys have such great humor.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Only an arrogant cop thinks everyone is always paying attention to them. I have seen lots of both old and young people trying to be pulled over who have no clue there was a cop behind them. Not all people are vigilant or use mirrors.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t fly anymore - I have no reason to deal with Thousands Standing Around.

I’m hoping that I don’t run into that stupid checkpoint on I93 next time I go to Berlin.
You never have to worry about it on your way *to* Berlin. If you want to avoid it while going back south, you can either take Rt. 16, or get off at exit 33, and meander down Rt. 3 to Thornton, Plymouth, or Ashland.

I do recommend the scenic route. I've done it just to break up the I-93 boredom.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am having a really difficult time seeing how this was the kids fault. I think that the police departments policy of not tasing someone on or from a moving vehicle was put in place for a reason.
Would you feel better if that never happened but this "kid" ran over a 3 year old crossing the street? Most pursuit policies put the burden of near impossible feats on officers and never on the criminals. Policies and tort reform need to happen to a. Hold criminals accountable and not burden the tax payers when agents of the state attempt to control chaos.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How about if the cop chasing him ran over a 3-year-old? If if if if if. I love that reasoning. Let's justify misconduct of one based on a hypothetical of another.

rommel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you feel better if that never happened but this "kid" ran over a 3 year old crossing the street? Most pursuit policies put the burden of near impossible feats on officers and never on the criminals. Policies and tort reform need to happen to a. Hold criminals accountable and not burden the tax payers when agents of the state attempt to control chaos.
Saving a 3 year old from crossing the street.
Agents of the state controlling chaos.
Wow, does your cop ego just ooze out of you. I do not see any burden for this particular cop to not taze someone. In fact, I see it as one less burden. The department put in a policy that took away that particular option. Yet, here you are defending a police officer for breaking the rules which directly caused the death of a kid who was breaking the rules, all in the name of saving a fictional 3 year old who may be crossing the street.

What I would really feel better about is that cops follow the policies and laws and when they do not, they face the same consequences that the people they arrest do. The greatest thing that would make me feel better is that some boot licking egotistical cop not try to justify a cops very poor decision that caused death to someone who was not putting the public in grave danger. That cop was the danger to society not some kid riding an atv down the street.
You must be a hardcore liberal because your logic is beyond ludicrous. You scare me because you think that kid deserved to die because either; he was breaking the law or because the cop had so few options. Holy shit!!!

Top Bottom