More on the "old ammo" theme

Someone emptied the red label Franford Arsenal box of the cartridges that were in it and refilled it with bullets for some reason. Note it says cartridges and references the powder used too. I have one of those with the actual rounds in it. Never seen the white boxes before though. Post those on CMP forum and see what they say, probably collectible if they're sealed.

Someone emptied the red label Franford Arsenal box of the cartridges that were in it and refilled it with bullets for some reason. Note it says cartridges and references the powder used too. I have one of those with the actual rounds in it. Never seen the white boxes before though. Post those on CMP forum and see what they say, probably collectible if they're sealed.
No, the red boxes are unopened, still sealed, 20rd boxes of cartridges. The white boxes are unopened, still sealed 40rd boxes of bullets only.

No, the red boxes are unopened, still sealed, 20rd boxes of cartridges. The white boxes are unopened, still sealed 40rd boxes of bullets only.
Oh the sealed boxes of ammo are definitely worth some bucks. I suspect the bullet boxes are too.

Another possibility, if you opened the red box you showed, is that someone put the bullets in there and sealed it to make it seem as though its unopened ammo. See what they weigh, the one you showed will be twice as heavy as it should be for 20 rds.

Another possibility, if you opened the red box you showed, is that someone put the bullets in there and sealed it to make it seem as though its unopened ammo. See what they weigh, the one you showed will be twice as heavy as it should be for 20 rds.
The red boxes are complete, loaded .45acp cartridges. 20rds. They are original from the late 1920's.
20210916_091513.jpg

The white boxes are bullets only, carefully stacked, base to base. 40 rds. I assume from the same era. Never seen them before.
20210916_091457.jpg

The red boxes are complete, loaded .45acp cartridges. 20rds. They are original from the late 1920's.

The white boxes are bullets only, carefully stacked, base to base. 40 rds. I assume from the same era. Never seen them before.

I gotcha, I was looking at your original post pictures and it looked like you were showing the inside of one of the red boxes in the 3rd pic since you didn't show the white ones till the end. That's why I was thinking there were bullets in a red box.

I gotcha, I was looking at your original post pictures and it looked like you were showing the inside of one of the red boxes in the 3rd pic since you didn't show the white ones till the end. That's why I was thinking there were bullets in a red box.
Yup. I posted the photos out of sequence. It is confusing.
I saw the same box of the bullets on a gun auction site: $175. That's what he's asking.

I picked up an old 1911 and it came with these two crates with some ammo in them. I've seen unopened boxes of early .45 cartridges before , but never boxes of just bullets. Why would they package it like that instead of loose bulk?View attachment 524478View attachment 524479View attachment 524480View attachment 524481View attachment 524482
love that crate, what is the hardware they use on the box side for the wingnut closer. thats pretty cool. If at some point you could take a few close ups of that hardware and maybe the dimensions of the box I would like to make a copy

love that crate, what is the hardware they use on the box side for the wingnut closer. thats pretty cool. If at some point you could take a few close ups of that hardware and maybe the dimensions of the box I would like to make a copy
6 brass rods and wingnuts per crate. I'll get some measurements later.

20210916_091330.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. I posted the photos out of sequence. It is confusing.
I saw the same box of the bullets on a gun auction site: $175. That's what he's asking.

I only found them on a couple of sites and no prices. Just that they are quiet rare.

Close up of the threaded end if you could.
20210921_152720.jpg20210921_152802.jpg

It looks like it is an "L" that is driven into the side in that relief cut, then a staple to keep it in.
16" long x12-3/4" wide x7-3/4" high. Corners are not dovetailed; just butted up and nailed.

Back
Top Bottom