More on 7.62 X 54R

The Goose

NES Member
Such a beautiful day for the range today. I went to work on my Finnish Model 39 7.62 X 54R. I had mounted an S&K scope mount on it with a cheap Aim Sport 2 - 7X long eye relief scope ($50.00).

I worked up 3 loads all with the Lyman #314299 200 gr. cast gas checked bullet sized to .313. I loaded 25 grs of IMR 4198, 25 grs of IMR 4227 and 17 grs of 2400.

First up was the IMR 4198. You can see 2 shots up and right, then 2 shots closer to center and then the rest once it was dialed in. This is at 50 yards.

Then out to 100 yards

Then IMR 4227 at 50 yards (20 rds) Not so hot.

Finally the 2400. At 50 yards the lower 5 shots were getting it dialed in and then the 5 shots above (I know it looks like 4, but it was 5.

Then out to 100 yards. First 2 were low then up a few clicks and 4 more.

And finally for the heck of it I moved out to 200 yards. I only had 7 rds left. I fired 3 and got nothing. I moved the dial 10 clicks up and aiming at center I got this final group. Three in the black right at 6:00 and one just below on the cardboard. If I had more rds I would have moved the reticle up and dialed in center. Ah well, next time.

I am extremely pleased with this rifle and scope mount. I am also quite pleased with the 2400 load. Shows great promise.

oustanding, did you ever slug the bore?

Znak-Voroshilovskiy-strelok.jpg

Your first target photo is suitable for the "how to dial in your scope" textbook. [smile] For comparison purposes, how does the same setup perform with milsurp ammo?

Your first target photo is suitable for the "how to dial in your scope" textbook. [smile] For comparison purposes, how does the same setup perform with milsurp ammo?

I have not tried any since I mounted the scope. At one time I shot a boatload with the iron sights. POI was about 12" high at 100 yards and groups were 6" - 8".

Looks good man.
I agree with 55_grain it would be cool to see how surplus does accuracy wise. I bet not as good.
Thats some pretty damn good groups for cast.

I have not tried any since I mounted the scope. At one time I shot a boatload with the iron sights. POI was about 12" high at 100 yards and groups were 6" - 8".

hmm, that's a bit bad for a Finn, but may just bad ammo. Did you ever take it apart, i.e. the stock? Finns are famous for putting all kinds of magic shims in the stock to make them wunderguns.

Nice, love that 314299 and 2400.
2400 does very well for cast loads.
I also like H4895
Trail boss does well for 50 yard plinking.

your 2400 load is about the same as mine that I use for my 1903a4 clone. from my 100 yard zero I need to come up 7-8 moa for 200 yards.

Last edited:
Nice. I've found milsurp beats Tula factory in my 91/30. I would like to have a Finn someday.

I've loaded up some 7.62x54R with 110gr bullets over 43gr of IMR3031. I also ordered from 150gr bullets to see how they go. Debating which powder to use with those. Today I picked up a pound of Varget and 2k more primers to play around with.

Based on how low (but consistent) my 30-06 loads were hitting with my M1 last weekend, I'm thinking at 100 yds I might be closer to POI = POA with the Mosin. Usually I have to aim 6 o'clock at 100 yds.

I think your M1 loads where a bit light , no?
At least with the M1 you can dial in any point of aim point of impact you want.
The mosin is not as good. You get some pretty quick elevation changes on the rear sight setting.... I'm not really sure on the exact changes
I have been meaning to get the 91/30 out and measure the rear sight height change on the settings. Plan on doing the arisaka later.

I think your M1 loads where a bit light , no?
At least with the M1 you can dial in any point of aim point of impact you want.
The mosin is not as good. You get some pretty quick elevation changes on the rear sight setting.... I'm not really sure on the exact changes
I have been meaning to get the 91/30 out and measure the rear sight height change on the settings. Plan on doing the arisaka later.
Exactly, I was doing an even 40gr of IMR4895 with 168gr Nosler Custom Comps. Helped to show me how dramatic ammo can affect your shooting. Not that I didn't know it before, but it was a nice experiment to shoot them side by side. HXP was 6 o'clock hold, my reloads were POA = POI. I did another 72 rounds with the same formula but if I feel like it I could see how the 150gr FMJBT do. I was planning on using those with the Mosin but I could load a few M1 loads too just for comparison. In the M1 pet load thread it was pretty heavily against the 150gr for the M1. I haven't tried the 110gr 91/30s yet but I've loaded some. I have never shot the 91/30 particularly well, especially past 75 yards, but I do feel like I've gotten a better feel for it.

Do people like Varget with 91/30? I bought 1lb it because people seem to like it and I have loads in the manual for the 91/30, M1 and .223 (I ordered dies last night in a moment of weakness).

Exactly, I was doing an even 40gr of IMR4895 with 168gr Nosler Custom Comps. Helped to show me how dramatic ammo can affect your shooting. Not that I didn't know it before, but it was a nice experiment to shoot them side by side. HXP was 6 o'clock hold, my reloads were POA = POI. I did another 72 rounds with the same formula but if I feel like it I could see how the 150gr FMJBT do. I was planning on using those with the Mosin but I could load a few M1 loads too just for comparison. In the M1 pet load thread it was pretty heavily against the 150gr for the M1. I haven't tried the 110gr 91/30s yet but I've loaded some. I have never shot the 91/30 particularly well, especially past 75 yards, but I do feel like I've gotten a better feel for it.

Do people like Varget with 91/30? I bought 1lb it because people seem to like it and I have loads in the manual for the 91/30, M1 and .223 (I ordered dies last night in a moment of weakness).

I think the issue with the 150 grain fmj is that for the same money or just a few pennies more you can get a bettery bullet like the nosler 155s.... I have shot 110-168s through my M1 with basically jut enough powder to cycle and get good accuracy... keep in my mind i load for 200 yard matches only.
If I where to go to 600 yards in a XTC service rifle match I would most likely load 168s on the hotter side.

I think the issue with the 150 grain fmj is that for the same money or just a few pennies more you can get a bettery bullet like the nosler 155s.... I have shot 110-168s through my M1 with basically jut enough powder to cycle and get good accuracy... keep in my mind i load for 200 yard matches only.
If I where to go to 600 yards in a XTC service rifle match I would most likely load 168s on the hotter side.
I liked the performance of the 168gr Noslers with the limited testing I did last weekend. If I shoot that regularly I can just adjust my sight easily enough. I love the Garand sights. Now that I've got several en blocs worth I can give it a more thorough test. I expect to reload a lot more for M1 than Mosin so I expect I might cannibalize some of the 150gr bullets for the Garand just to try it out. Also going to see if there's any spare .223 brass at the range today I can swipe to start loading that up. I've never saved any of mine.

I liked the performance of the 168gr Noslers with the limited testing I did last weekend. If I shoot that regularly I can just adjust my sight easily enough. I love the Garand sights. Now that I've got several en blocs worth I can give it a more thorough test. I expect to reload a lot more for M1 than Mosin so I expect I might cannibalize some of the 150gr bullets for the Garand just to try it out. Also going to see if there's any spare .223 brass at the range today I can swipe to start loading that up. I've never saved any of mine.

if you cant find any its cheap enough to buy.... look around I found polished and inspected LC not long ago.

Just my two cents... I use 47gr of H4895 under a 150gr sierra pro hunter (.311) and if im having a good day its an moa load out of my beat up 91/30. Its where I stopped with finding the right recipe since POI seems to coordinate with the elevation clicks at least out to 250yds.

Just my two cents... I use 47gr of H4895 under a 150gr sierra pro hunter (.311) and if im having a good day its an moa load out of my beat up 91/30. Its where I stopped with finding the right recipe since POI seems to coordinate with the elevation clicks at least out to 250yds.

Moa with a beater and those scrappy sights is out standing.you should head out to the cmp regionals and take that to the Vintage matches.

Check I'm stoked of I can hold the black of a SR 1 target and thrilled if I can hold the 10 ring.

Moa with a beater and those scrappy sights is out standing.you should head out to the cmp regionals and take that to the Vintage matches.

Check I'm stoked of I can hold the black of a SR 1 target and thrilled if I can hold the 10 ring.

Ive never tried any competitive shooting but the guys at my club tell me id win the nostalgic mil shoot with it... but the bolt is all herky jerky there is one on the 30th i might ho to if i can get someone to cover my on call

Back
Top Bottom