More NYC arresting innocents

poor dude was probably scared shitless being in NYC. truly sucks for him. hopefully he can STFU and get a good lawyer, although not sure how much it will matter since he already provided a public confession.

A maid had previously gone in to grab up the gun, wrapped it in a towel, and handed it over to police.

I'm surprised they didn't jam the maid up too for handling the gun without a license.

I have a friend from South Carolina who, when packing his truck to move up here, almost brought his AR until his father ran out of the house yelling and screaming "are you crazy? you can't bring that to Massachusetts!" Many free-staters truly don't know what it's like in commie states like NY, MA, etc.

I'm surprised they didn't jam the maid up too for handling the gun without a license.

I have a friend from South Carolina who, when packing his truck to move up here, almost brought his AR until his father ran out of the house yelling and screaming "are you crazy? you can't bring that to Massachusetts!" Many free-staters truly don't know what it's like in commie states like NY, MA, etc.

I've spent some time working in texas and georgia and the people I talk to there refuse to believe the crap we have to deal with here. I got a lot of "That's stupid, you probably heard that wrong" type responses. They knew I am a gun guy and tried to get me in on a raffle they were having for a couple AR's and it was exploding heads when I explained that I would have to get them neutered before I could bring them home and it wasn't worth the effort.

It will be plea bargained down to "attempted criminal possession of a weapon" and may get some jail time.

1: F-NYC
2: How do you "forget" your gun anywhere? (rhetorical) At least he didn't leave it in the crapper.
If your carry daily and put on your gun like you put on your watch, forgetting it is as hard (and as easy) as forgetting your wallet. If you carry 365 you're going to handle it at least 730 times a year, or 7,300 in 10 years. Accidents eventually happen.

If your carry daily and put on your gun like you put on your watch, forgetting it is as hard (and as easy) as forgetting your wallet. If you carry 365 you're going to handle it at least 730 times a year, or 7,300 in 10 years. Accidents eventually happen.

IIRC from my 6 Sigma days, the innate unconstrained human error rate is something like 1 in 200.

The take home lesson from all of these incidents, no matter what state you are in, is know the laws. If I'm traveling out of state and plan to bring a firearm, I read up on the laws of the state or states I'll be in. I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that the laws are the same in each state and/or thinking their permit/license is valid everywhere like their DL is.

I've spent some time working in texas and georgia and the people I talk to there refuse to believe the crap we have to deal with here. I got a lot of "That's stupid, you probably heard that wrong" type responses. They knew I am a gun guy and tried to get me in on a raffle they were having for a couple AR's and it was exploding heads when I explained that I would have to get them neutered before I could bring them home and it wasn't worth the effort.

I live in Georgia and my friends there really have a hard time believing me when I tell them the laws here in CT, NY or MA. I just drove up to CT, LEGALLY transporting two AR's and two Glocks. Unloaded, locked up separate from all ammo, and with the Fed statute printed out and handy if necessary. I drove entirely around New Jersey and New York city as recommended by some others here. It added some time, but made for a much more pleasant drive, and stress free.

I'm going to say stupid happens.
I can understand leaving the house without your carry piece, but once you've left? Also when traveling?
I feel for the guy, but still come on.
Also seriously F-NYC.

The take home lesson from all of these incidents, no matter what state you are in, is know the laws. If I'm traveling out of state and plan to bring a firearm, I read up on the laws of the state or states I'll be in. I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that the laws are the same in each state and/or thinking their permit/license is valid everywhere like their DL is.

When I moved to this shithole state from Arizona 8 years ago (I move OUT the day after my youngest graduates HS in 2 years) I had NO idea what the laws were like. When I bought my gun there I went in to the store, convo went like this...
Me: Want a gun.
Clerk: What kind?
Me: Handgun.
Clerk: Pistol or revolver?
Me: Semi-auto.
Clerk: Ok, pistol. Caliber?
Me: Dunno, 45?
Clerk: Ever shot before?
Me: 22 in summer camp 30+ years ago.
15 minutes later, after fondling several guns...
Me: I'll take this, the xD45.
Clerk: Ok, NICS check, and we're done.
Me: Cool.
15 minutes later...
Cashier: There's a table right there if you want to load up before you head out.
Me: Thanks.

When I moved, I drove AZ>OK>Chicago>Upstate NY>here. Gun on passenger seat under the map. What the hell did I know? This state sucks for gun laws.

One thing I don't understand is that with all of these decent people, with no criminal backgrounds, who suddenly find themselves jammed up with felony charges, why hasn't anyone pressed that carrying a weapon across state lines is a 14th amendment right and finally put an end to the national reciprocity debate?

**** that shithole of a state. NEVER go there ! The Statute of Liberty should be moved to a free state, because there is no liberty or freedom in that pile of shit they call NY

One thing I don't understand is that with all of these decent people, with no criminal backgrounds, who suddenly find themselves jammed up with felony charges, why hasn't anyone pressed that carrying a weapon across state lines is a 14th amendment right and finally put an end to the national reciprocity debate?
They can't even follow this A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. 27 words of real easy.

They would never understand this
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I would guess cost and the likelyhood that it won't fly. Basically you are looking at a huge lawyer fee, paid by you up front unless a national org picks up the case and tab. Your first lawyer will tell you how much to defend and then come to you with an offer to plea out for a much smaller fee for him and less time than if convicted.

If you do fight (Lose) and then appeal through state/federal courts it will be several years to a decade, probably spent in jail, and if it stops at federal appeals court when SCOTUS refuses cert and they haven't found in your favor (Likely) then you serve the jail time for as many charges as they were able to slam you with, since when you fight they will trump up any charges that even remotely fit. Plus having spent all your money, lost your job, house, maybe family.

If you aren't a perfect test case being pushed by a national organization you would need to be super rich and not care about the consequences of fighting it. Even the ones where you don;t have to pay the lawyer fees you still hold the risk of a loss and sitting in jail over it. Makes for a tough choice when they offer a no jail plea deal where you only lose your firearm rights forever but get to go home tomorrow and put your life back together.

Didn't need fixing, Bob. You know, probably better than do I, that SCOTUS has ruled that there can be limits on the Second Amendment. I don't like that, but until we get a definitive ruling on that and and either a legislative or judicial decision mandating that all states recognize permits and licenses of every other, the reality is that people have to be knowledgeable.

That is what Justice Thomas would have had in his separate, but concurring opinion in McDonald. He wanted to resurrect Privileges or Immunities in the 14th Amendment. Which SOTUS killed in the Slaughterhouse case.

Again, you know that.

what an idiot. mistakes happen, but how about DRIVING to the hotel, telling them you forgot something private in the room, and letting them let you in...then skeedadle

Then why the F**k do we call it the "UNITED STATES of AMERICA ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom