• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More LTC interview questions ...

So there are many threads about the interview process but I didn't see my question addressed.

The whole process is highly variable as we know, and in some towns there's nothing you could say or do to get an unrestricted.

I'm more interested in the process for the "green" cities, and specifically some variations in the local process.

The easiest places don't care about / require letters to the chief. They also don't need much in the way of references and the "interview" process in similarly easy.

I specifically don't want to be ambushed when I go in for the meeting / interview / interrogation, so that's where my questions are coming from.

It occurs to me that the police can ask you anything you want, no matter how out-of-bounds or irrelevant it is. They could ask you if you voted for Nixon is '68 and '72. They could ask you about your sexual orientation, religion, race or national origin.

I'm more worried about questions that start out with "So how many firearms do you have?"

And then flow naturally on into "Do you have a list with make, model & serial number?"

Or: "What are your current medications?"

Don't talk to cops ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i8z7NC5sgik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=08fZQWjDVKE

I'm completely on board with the idea expressed in these videos, but to get the LTC unrestricted you have to talk to cops. I wish we had some charts for each city showing the questions they liked to ask.

I am 100% certain that they are not allowed to ask you about your sexual orientation, religion, or race. Period. That'd be breaking all kinds of rules/laws.

Neither will they ask you what you've got, or ask for an inventory. In most cases, if you're a new applicant, they probably assume you have NO guns (yet). If you've moved here from somewhere else, I do not believe there is any duty to report what you brought with you. We do NOT have or allow "registration" here. They only (ahem) record transfers via eFA-10.

Don't worry too much about it. The "interview" is usually just chatting while they take your fingerprints. It's not an inquisition. So long as you're not an obvious nutcase, or prohibited person, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

edit: I live in a green town. YMMV greatly.

Most "interviews" around here consist of the licensing officer just going over the application with the applicant, two sets of finger prints, and completing the electronic application process. Usually nothing to worry about.

For example...

Someone I just certified for his LTC applied to a local GREEN town. He was sweating the 15+ CWOFs on his record, and didn't think they would issue him his LTC based on "suitability". I advised him that it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

During the beginning of the interview process he showed the licensing SGT his sheet. The officer just shrugged and said there is nothing here that will disqualify you and proceeded with the application process. He was in and out in 15 minutes.

Neither will they ask you what you've got, or ask for an inventory. In most cases, if you're a new applicant, they probably assume you have NO guns (yet).

You've never met my chief! He has asked how many handguns, how many rifles, how many shotguns. I don't know if he asks for a list too, as I shut him down when he did that and another friend (former COP in another town) did as well. He just backed off when I told him MGL doesn't require it and I'm not giving that info to anyone. But this is a "routine" question for him. Both of us held LTCs for close to 20 years prior to that line of questioning.

Yes, they can ask anything they want, you aren't obligated to answer non-required questions. How you handle it depends on whether you are willing to stand up for your rights or fold when asked to piss in a cup, give a DNA sample, provide a list of all guns with S/Ns, etc. Most chiefs/LOs aren't this nosy, but some are.

You've never met my chief! He has asked how many handguns, how many rifles, how many shotguns. I don't know if he asks for a list too, as I shut him down when he did that and another friend (former COP in another town) did as well. He just backed off when I told him MGL doesn't require it and I'm not giving that info to anyone. But this is a "routine" question for him. Both of us held LTCs for close to 20 years prior to that line of questioning.

Yes, they can ask anything they want, you aren't obligated to answer non-required questions. How you handle it depends on whether you are willing to stand up for your rights or fold when asked to piss in a cup, give a DNA sample, provide a list of all guns with S/Ns, etc. Most chiefs/LOs aren't this nosy, but some are.

the CLEO was probably just warming up to ask you for some legal advice!! [rofl]

The Sargent who took my application was very professional and avoided every opportunity he had to talk about guns or learn more about me and my life than what was in the application. Even after reading my letter to the chief explaining why I wanted an LTC (required in Maynard), he did not comment or ask questions. We mostly talked about the weather.

This was in Maynard, a green town (zero restricted LTCs, according to Comm2A).

I was asked nothing on my "interview." It was small talk bs while they input my form onto the computer system.

I never even spoke to a cop, neither did my wife. A civilian took her prints and did the form on the computer. Seriously, the only questions she asked her about was our dinner plans, since that day the office was open 4:30-8:30pm. My wife is from Germany and was really worried about what they were going to ask her.

Move to a green town and don't worry

Sage advice. Most people can't resist filling the silence with something. If I'm overcome I'll try to stick to talking about the Red Sox ...

When I had my first interview many moons ago we just talked about hunting areas that were ruined by housing developments.

Since it varies by town, I would call your CoP to see what they require. I talked to my LO twice to be sure I collected the correct info before scheduling an interview.

I thought I read on here a few years ago that Newton asked applicants to define things like "large capacity weapon". The applicant said he was told to go home, study, and come back later.

the CLEO was probably just warming up to ask you for some legal advice!! [rofl]

He's done that a few times before, and he knows that he can do that without filling his database with unrequired info.

If any town becomes the source of a challenge to "may issue" FID, it'll be LenSs [wink]

I'd suspect that Canton is a more likely suspect for this, but my chief ranks right up there too.

In my (very green, suburban, seaside) town, I chatted with the licensing officer about computer tech, having offered him an electronic copy of PDF forms from which he could copy and paste.
I made a joke out of the legal definition of "Build" ("Is 'tall and fat' a legal definition?") and I also chided him about changing my hair color from my self-described "brown" to "gray or partially gray" on the form.
Fingerprints were taken by conventional means, license photo was taken with a cheesy webcam, and I was off to wait (IIRC) 91 days for the receipt of the card.

Still boggles my mind how these dildo chiefs give a hard time to the people coming into the PD to legally attain a license. Hey dingbat, the criminals don't ask for permission first.

every town is different don't over think it. My town is green well for the moment anyway till a new chief of police is selected then who knows, but i had to write a letter as to why i wanted an ltc and all that jazz. the captian who i spoke to was cool we shot he breeze fora bit the only thing that he stressed to me at the time was question 10 on the application

In my green town I was ambushed by how easy it was...

When I told her I was there to see the chief, she responded with "Oh, what did you do?". After a few awkward moments she said nobody sees the chief unless they have some 'splainin' to do.

Then she informed me that they don't do ALP licenses. She waited just long enough for my heart to start beating again and said "Your license will say 'Restrictions: None'".

Besides taking forever to arrive (and forever to actually get an appointment), it was relatively painless.

Good luck.

My entire LTC application process was professional and without drama.

Scheduled an appointment with LEO at station. I did download the application form ahead of time and arrived prepared and respectfully dressed. We chatted, he input the info into the computer, scanned my fingerprints, and I was on my way.

Both my wife and me were not asked anything except to verify everything on the app was ok. They took prints, took a picture said to call in about 60 days. That was it

OP-

IMO the LTC interview process is primarily in place to weed out people who aren't fully committed to exercising their 2A rights. the moonbats know that if an interview is required, that is a sufficiently tight hoop to prevent many of the sheeple from lawfully obtaining a firearm. It's the same reason boston/brookline require the range test....a retarded ape could pass that test so it's clearly a weed out system for the sheeple who are intrinsically afraid of a police range and/or actually work 9-5.

the moonbats know that the LTC interview will not prevent the 3% of us free-thinkers, so it isn't something to worry about. my only concern with interacting with LEOs is that anything perceived as untruthful can be employed against me.

During my LTC interview I was only asked the questions that are on the form application, which begs the question of why the hell people are employed to ask me questions i could have answered online. If you have to answer yes to anything, then I would provide an honest answer and not provide any information that is extraneous.

If LEOs were to ever ask me an unrelated question like "do you wear condoms?" or "does anyone in your family know Jimmy Hoffa" then I will always answer the same way which is "Sorry officer I cannot answer your question". nobody ever got in trouble for STFU. It's also wise to have out a pen and paper during the interview and take notes on any questions that seem even remotely unusual. document the question and your answer...i rarely have to actually write anything but i practice this technique in any meeting to be sure that people know i'm not as retarded as i look.

anyway your LTC interview will be just fine. honestly they probably don't want to interview you any more than you don't want to be interviewed.

Last edited:
IMO, if they want to do an "interview", it's to get a "feel" for the applicant - if he comes in dressed like an Operator, and double-parks in front of the station, then his judgment may be suspect.

Some towns may be more intrusive (like LenS' slice of heaven), but the stress level is too high, because it's new.

One thing that I find instructive is how nervous some Basic Pistol students are - we tend to forget how it was when we "experienced folks" were new.

Relax.

There really is no need for questions on a renewal. It's all on the application. Take photo for new license and go home.

Interviews aren't even standard within the same town/police department, and could very well vary based on who you are, who is interviewing you (likely the licensing offer, not the CoP), and how much time they're willing to put into your interview. My last renewal interview took all of 90 seconds. My friend's renewal in the same town took 45 minutes.

Just relax, take your time, answer the questions to the best of your ability, and don't answer anything you're not comfortable with.

Interviews aren't even standard within the same town/police department, and could very wall vary based on who you are, who is interviewing you (likely the licensing offer, not the CoP), and how much time they're willing to put into your interview. My last renewal interview took all of 90 seconds. My friend's renewal in the same town took 45 minutes.

What did they do, play a game of chess? How can it take so long?

Back
Top Bottom