More Infernal Devices....?

When I was a kid we would take 6 soda cans, cut the top & bottoms off except for one which would be the base with the bottom left on, tape them all together to make a bazooka, poke a hole in the top of the bottom one, pour lighter fluid in, swish it around to evenly spread the fluid. load tennis ball and ignite. It would send that tennis ball 100 yds and you would wars in the park with a bunch of us setting these things off at each other, and the parents thought it was fun to watch!!!

When I was a kid we would take 6 soda cans, cut the top & bottoms off except for one which would be the base with the bottom left on, tape them all together to make a bazooka, poke a hole in the top of the bottom one, pour lighter fluid in, swish it around to evenly spread the fluid. load tennis ball and ignite. It would send that tennis ball 100 yds and you would wars in the park with a bunch of us setting these things off at each other, and the parents thought it was fun to watch!!!

My 8th grade math teacher spent an entire class drawing a diagram on the board describing in detail how to make a tennis ball cannon out of a piece of drive shaft, empty propane bottle and a camp stove ignitor. It used ether not lighter fluid though. My oh my how times have changed (& I'm only 43). [sad]

It was probably a aluminum foil/draino bomb. The draino is very caustic and can cause burns or blindness if you got it into your eyes. If it was that, then it was a very dangerous thing, and it was right they got arrested.
My guess would be this type of "bomb". Caught my teenage son doing these in the back yard a few years ago... Very impressive boom.
Yes, caustic, yes stupid, and they should be made to pay for the damages, but arrested? Jeez, back in the days of common sense the cops would take them home for a whuppin! They'd apologize, and pay for the damage, and it would be a memory...

We did this in my high school chemistry class my junior year in the hallway of the school. We got strick instruction from the teacher about if we do this at home make sure that the tennis ball can move freely into and out of the tube, would't want to have a kaboom....

Ahh….I remember it well…. *wavy flashback lines*

It was a warm Friday afternoon. Last period. Ready to go home. My high school chemistry teacher had some extra dry ice used in some experiment/demonstration earlier that day. He didn’t feel like teaching so we were all sitting there doing our homework. Suddenly a light bulb went off in his head. (I saw it. His eyes glowed.) He went into the back room, got a 2-liter Coke bottle, poured the remnants into a beaker and handed it to the nearest kid. He promptly climbed out the window (school was one floor) with the coke bottle in hand and asked for someone to hand him the cooler with dry ice.

Yup, right there on school property he made a dastardly infernal device. The horrific explosion and plastic shrapnel that peppered the side of the school was so awesome and destructive it….made a loud noise and killed 0.0 kittens or babies.

The teacher of the class next door came running to the window and demanded he do it again so her class could watch instead of being scared sh!tless.

No, this was not back in the 50’s and yes it is a true story.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom