More Harvard Bullshit!

The May 2006 issue of Popular Science just showed up.

One article is called Science Confirms The Obvious.

"We unearth the latest research that definitely, positively proves what you knew already - and tells you why it matters."

Stuff like combining drugs and alcohol is bad for you, or memory and concentration fade with age.

And then there was THIS gem:

Gun toting drivers are more prone to road rage.

The Study: "Is an armed society a polite society? Guns and road rage."
ACCIDENT ANALYSIS AND PREVENTION, Jan 2006.

The Findings: After cold calling 2,459 American adults with an anonymous questionnaire, researchers at the Harvard Injury Control Research Center discovered that directing "indecent" gestures at other motorists was significantly more common among suburbanites, binge drinkers, Northeasterners, those who think most people can't be trusted and, yes, those who admitted that they keep guns in their vehicles.

Why Bother?: The paper says it best: "If someone is giving you the finger, it may be useful to have some sense of whether or not they have a gun." Co-author Mary Vrincitis adds that states have recently loosened laws allowing motorists to drive while packing heat. The implication is that if lethal weapons are more readily accesible, hostile driving incidents could turn ugly more often. Knowing which populations are prone to road rage could help policymakers devise awareness campaigns or other strategies to help curb it's frequency.

Lets see. Most of the people here are Northeasterners, suburbanites, and packing heat . . .

EEK!

Regards
John

Be careful of the topic titles - someone looking at the subjects only might thint you're talking about the "other Harvard" - Harvard Sportsmens, a 50BMG / Full Auto / IPSC / Cowboy friendly club.

It's called Popular Science, not Good Science. In another forum far away, I was recently involved in a discussion as to whether sociology is real science or not. I, who has a degree in this field, contend that it's not. All too often it's agenda driven and used to "prove" a certain point. I could use the same technique to "prove" that gun owners are the meekest people on earth when it comes to confrontations. Either is meaningless without some hard science to prove it.

Actually, the science exists in the form of arrest information. If I were trying to study this, I'd get arrest data from states that do and don't allow CCW. Then I'd compare the two while filtering out other variables.

BTW, phone polls are completely unreliable.

Gary

Rob Boudrie said:
Be careful of the topic titles - someone looking at the subjects only might thint you're talking about the "other Harvard" - Harvard Sportsmens, a 50BMG / Full Auto / IPSC / Cowboy friendly club.

But Rob, why would ANYONE think a place with a description like the above would be involved with "More Bullshit"?

Still, if I misled anyone, I apologize . . .

Regards
John

Sheesh! They make it sound like gun toting, northeastern, binge drinking motorists are bad people.
I've never used my firearm in a case of road rage, in fact I often forget I have it when i'm screaming out the window at people and that ain't no lie.[laugh]
Only time I do remember it is when I realize i'm in a shithole of a neighborhood and the local teenage gang bangers and crack heads are standing around on the corner watching me drive by. Being from New Bedford... that covers a good portion of the south end.
Yet they still make it hard to get an LTC here.[angry]

Garys said:
It's called Popular Science, not Good Science. In another forum far away, I was recently involved in a discussion as to whether sociology is real science or not. I, who has a degree in this field, contend that it's not. All too often it's agenda driven and used to "prove" a certain point. I could use the same technique to "prove" that gun owners are the meekest people on earth when it comes to confrontations. Either is meaningless without some hard science to prove it.

Actually, the science exists in the form of arrest information. If I were trying to study this, I'd get arrest data from states that do and don't allow CCW. Then I'd compare the two while filtering out other variables.

BTW, phone polls are completely unreliable.

Gary

Great stuff. You ought to send them an email.

[email protected]

The name of the author was Laura Allen, btw.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom