More Booze and Guns-Plymouth, MA

JonJ

NES Member
Excerpted from this article:
http://www.wickedlocal.com/plymouth...tics-credited-with-controlling-holiday-crowds

Police confiscated two handguns from a Milford man, one of four people arrested after a disturbance on Taylor Avenue shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday.

John Eden, 30, had permits for the loaded. 22-caliber pistol and unloaded 9 mm pistol in his backpack. But Eden was also intoxicated, which is illegal. He was charged with carrying a firearm under the influence of alcohol or drugs, as well as resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

I'm sure Chief Boterie had a nice cell for him to think about his stupidness.

He won't get a firearms permit of any kind in the state again.

Sounds like you guys did a good job and kept the chaos under control. I did not go down to the waterfront this year because it had gotten so crazy. I will probably bring the tribe down there next year. Glad you guys were all safe. Btw JonJ, are you in the picture[wink]?

Interesting question, at least to me. If he had both of them in a locked case inside his bag and unloaded, would there have been a charge that would have applied?

I don't claim to be a lawyer or play one on Tv....

Interesting question, at least to me. If he had both of them in a locked case inside his bag and unloaded, would there have been a charge that would have applied?

Yes, since he was intoxicated, it doesn't matter. I'm not a policeman or a lawyer, but I don't think you can be intoxicated and carry firearms, maybe that is not a law, but I think he's gonna be chasing his tail trying to get out of it. Good question though.

I grew up on Taylor Ave... it sounds like a typical July 3rd at White Horse Beach. I'm surprised no cars blew up... I remember a couple of those (that's always fun, well unless you own the car). And I also remember one time watching some guys try to start the largest bonfire, the one they always have near where the full sail was... it wasn't going well so they brought a 5 gallon can of gas over and started pouring it around. There was a little spot in the scrap wood that had a flame, and the gas stream touched that... a trail of fire zipped right up the stream just as the guy realized it and shoved the can out of his hands, then BOOM! That was cool. And, the fire was going really well after that.

Ah, memories...

What I don't remember is many police around... that looks like a recent development. I make it a point to avoid places where I expect police in riot gear to be at. And, I would not want to be there on that day unarmed... last time I was there, several people were acting belligerent towards me (and all I was doing was walking). They were quite eager to fight.

I grew up on Taylor Ave... it sounds like a typical July 3rd at White Horse Beach. I'm surprised no cars blew up... I remember a couple of those (that's always fun, well unless you own the car). And I also remember one time watching some guys try to start the largest bonfire, the one they always have near where the full sail was... it wasn't going well so they brought a 5 gallon can of gas over and started pouring it around. There was a little spot in the scrap wood that had a flame, and the gas stream touched that... a trail of fire zipped right up the stream just as the guy realized it and shoved the can out of his hands, then BOOM! That was cool. And, the fire was going really well after that.

Ah, memories...

What I don't remember is many police around... that looks like a recent development. I make it a point to avoid places where I expect police in riot gear to be at. And, I would not want to be there on that day unarmed... last time I was there, several people were acting belligerent towards me (and all I was doing was walking). They were quite eager to fight.

I hear what you're saying, I live about a mile from WHB as the crow flies, but I don't go near that place on the third. It was fun, like you said many years ago -- back in the late eighties and early nineties. Maybe a fight here or there, and sometimes it got out of control after dark. But, generally speaking it was a good place for friends and families to get together on the beach, during the day and early evening and have a few.

Not today, much, much different place. Lots of tough guys with nothing to lose.

I hear and read that the local police did a great job this year, maybe after a few years of the new sheriff in town, aka the new Chief, it will bring families and fun back to WHB on the third.

Yes, since he was intoxicated, it doesn't matter. I'm not a policeman or a lawyer, but I don't think you can be intoxicated and carry firearms, maybe that is not a law, but I think he's gonna be chasing his tail trying to get out of it. Good question though.

I can't find the relevant MGL. It is not in with the usual suspects of 180 or 140. But attleboro has on their website, "It is unlawful to carry a loaded weapon while under the influence of alcohol or drugs."
So if attleboro is correct, the answer to my question is then no. I just don't trust cops, or their websites, to know the law. Maybe jeremy will swing by at some point.

I hear and read that the local police did a great job this year, maybe after a few years of the new sheriff in town, aka the new Chief, it will bring families and fun back to WHB on the third.

Sounds like fun is already there, too much fun... [smile]

Maybe jeremy will swing by at some point.

It's C. 269 § 10H. Cannot carry a loaded firearm on your person or under your control in a vehicle while intoxicated. So the unloaded 9mm wasn't his problem, it was the loaded .22.

wickedlocal.com said:
John Eden, 30, had permits for the loaded. 22-caliber pistol and unloaded 9 mm pistol in his backpack.

How many permits does he need? [rolleyes]

It's C. 269 § 10H. Cannot carry a loaded firearm on your person or under your control in a vehicle while intoxicated. So the unloaded 9mm wasn't his problem, it was the loaded .22.

Stupid question, but how does MA define "intoxicated" in this context? Over the legal driving limit, or any alcohol whatsoever? I'm wondering if one glass of wine at a restaurant automatically makes someone a criminal. (NOTE: I never do that, not because I'm sure it is illegal, but because I'm so beaten down in this state that I always assume the worst.)

Stupid question, but how does MA define "intoxicated" in this context? Over the legal driving limit, or any alcohol whatsoever? I'm wondering if one glass of wine at a restaurant automatically makes someone a criminal. (NOTE: I never do that, not because I'm sure it is illegal, but because I'm so beaten down in this state that I always assume the worst.)

That's been covered before and IIRC (I am sure someone will correct me otherwise), they don't so theoretically any alcohol in your system is illegal as there is no specified limit. BTW: Not a stupid question at all.

How many permits does he need? [rolleyes]

As many permits as the local reporter thinks you need.....remember...doing actual research on the gun laws is optional and need not be correct in state run media......laws can be made up at the writer's discretion to morph any law abiding gun owner into a reckless criminal.

Intoxication for the most part is a bad thing.However,if it wasn't for intoxication,none of my kids would have been born.Just a thought.

What cracks me up is that this law only applies to those with an LTC... If he did not have an LTC he could not have been charged with 269/10H.

Back
Top Bottom