• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moopey's LR-308 Build Thread

What ended up being a problem with it, and did you go to the guy I referred you to, or did you find someone else?

I tried calling the guy you suggested but gave up. I ended up bringing it to Dave Santurri in North Attleboro (Santurri, Ltd.)

He gave it a once over and determined the barrel needed to be reamed a bit to accommodate the bolt. I asked him if this was pretty typical and he said he no. He was great to deal with. I also had him pin the muzzle break. He took it to the range to double check everything was in working order. He also made a comment about people next to me at the range are going to hate me because the rifle is so loud. haha. "It won't be loud for you, but I wouldn't want to be next to you".

All in all great guy. I may give the guy you recommended a chance in the future mainly because he is 1 mile from my house and dave is probably a 30 minute plus ride. But I didn't mind too much cuz it gave me an excuse to stop at Northeast Traders. [grin]

I feel like there was a different 308/NIB BCG thread floating around, but I'm going to bump this instead.

Has anyone else tried out their 308 BCGs and head spacing? I'm *slowly* acquiring pieces for my 308 build, but I'm in no hurry, and I don't have a barrel picked out yet, nor gauges, so I can't check the headspace, yet.

Anyone put something together lately?

I feel like there was a different 308/NIB BCG thread floating around, but I'm going to bump this instead.

Has anyone else tried out their 308 BCGs and head spacing? I'm *slowly* acquiring pieces for my 308 build, but I'm in no hurry, and I don't have a barrel picked out yet, nor gauges, so I can't check the headspace, yet.

Anyone put something together lately?

I got my BCG from Rainier Arms, and since I bought the barrel from them, they checked the headspace for me, which they said they do on every order that has a BCG & barrel. I'm glad, cause it saved me from finding a gunsmith to do it, or the expense of some gauges. I would imagine if you send them the bolt, they'd do it for you too. I know for a fact Fulton Armory will do it, but I do believe they charge you for it.

I also have one of the 762 industries BCGs and mine is pretty rough with the machining marks, and makes a distinct "zipping" sound when moving in and out of the receiver. I have some 5 micron paste and a bunch of felt wheels for my dremel to hopefully take some of that roughness out of the contact points. There was a big thread over on arf.com about it, and a couple have successfully smoothed them out.

I'll start a thread since I don't want to derail this one, but yes, I should be completing my rifle tomorrow, hopefully! Then range on Wed. for function check / sighting in scope.

Last edited:
I got my BCG from Rainier Arms, and since I bought the barrel from them, they checked the headspace for me, which they said they do on every order that has a BCG & barrel. I'm glad, cause it saved me from finding a gunsmith to do it, or the expense of some gauges. I would imagine if you send them the bolt, they'd do it for you too. I know for a fact Fulton Armory will do it, but I do believe they charge you for it.

I also have one of the 762 industries BCGs and mine is pretty rough with the machining marks, and makes a distinct "zipping" sound when moving in and out of the receiver. I have some 5 micron paste and a bunch of felt wheels for my dremel to hopefully take some of that roughness out of the contact points. There was a big thread over on arf.com about it, and a couple have successfully smoothed them out.

I'll start a thread since I don't want to derail this one, but yes, I should be completing my rifle tomorrow, hopefully! Then range on Wed. for function check / sighting in scope.

I'll have to go track that thread down on arfcom about polishing the BCG

I'll have to go track that thread down on arfcom about polishing the BCG

They just talked briefly about it. I exchanged PM's with the one member who said he'd had good success.

This is the most useful info I got back about polishing it:

"There are 4 bearing surfaces on your bcg. They are the long narrow areas that run longitudinally along your carrier, slightly taller than the main body of the carrier. I put paste on the felt wheels and polished these surfaces. Don't polish them as if they are flat, polish them as if they are slightly curved, hitting the top and bottom edges. I also hit the fore and aft edges of the bearing surfaces pretty hard. When I say hard, I kind of mean thorough as the NB plating is not removed only slightly smoothed.
I felt that the ridges themselves could not hurt the upper but only the sharp edges of the ridges so I was just trying to dull the edges. I polished the bearing surfaces top to bottom first and then longways. Your felt wheels will get black but you'll be removing little or no actual metal. When you get done you may still see ridges but they will be less well defined.
I've got a little over a hundred rounds through mine now with no visible wear to my upper ad only a slight zip. I use a good lube only counting on the NB to help in cleanup. Hope this helped. Oh yeah my dremel is a variable speed and I ran it kind of slow to slow/ medium. "

Not sure if I've put a recent photo up. I added a Harris bipod, magpul back up sites and I just received Vortex Strike Fire red dot site. Can't wait to get to the range with the red dot. I eventually want to get a good scope, but the red dot will have to do for now.

308 with RedDot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom