• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Monson Man Convicted in Self-Defense Dog Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erwin Markham of Monson found guilty in shooting of 2 rottweilers, killing 1
Erwin Markham of Monson found guilty in shooting of 2 rottweilers, killing 1
by The Republican Newsroom
Friday September 18, 2009, 4:59 PM

By LORI STABILE
[email protected]

PALMER - A jury convicted Erwin C. Markham III guilty Friday of two counts of animal cruelty and one count of discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.

Markham, 27, of Monson, was charged by Monson police in June 2008 after he shot two rottweilers, killing one, while on his parents' property on Blanchard Road.

The dogs, Jerry and Garcia, belonged to his parents' next door neighbor, Michael D. Facchini.

While initially too overcome with emotion to speak, Facchini said he was pleased with the verdict.

"I wanted justice and I got justice from the jury today. ... I'm grateful for the jury. I'm grateful they didn't stereotype a particular breed," Facchini said after the verdict was announced.

Markham's lawyer, Jeanne A. Liddy, said she will be appealing the decision and maintained that her client acted in self-defense.

Judge Mark D. Mason, sitting in Palmer District Court, delayed sentencing on the request of Assistant District Attorney Howard I. Safford. Sentencing will be held sometime before Oct. 2. The maximum penalty for felony animal cruelty is five years in state prison or 2½ years in the House of Correction and a $2,500 fine.

MA really is F'd up beyond belief.

i agree 10000000%

however, i think what did him in is that he went in his house and grabbed the shottie and came back out...

100000% speculation on my part.

this IS fracked up beyond recognition!

*thinking like a sheep* he was able to get inside his home, she should have called animal control and waited...

know your enemy

.... These are family friends and it's going to be very difficult for them to appeal and defend themselves against the civil suit...

edit:

also,

based on his picture - even though it's small,

the guy looks like a "beefy" dude. so maybe the Jury didn't have any empathy as he could have "held them off" with his bare hands...

again, i am disgusted to even type this, i am playing devils advocate.

the sheep's equivalent is the same as the other story about the postal carrier spraying the poor little pooch and 7 year old girl w / pepper spray [rolleyes]

In my experience, jerk people own jerk dogs. It almost never fails. Both dog and owner deserve the same fate. But that's just me.

Too bad this worked out as it did.

Apparently so. This guy is a professional ambulance chaser. He even looks like an idiot. [angry]

http://www.facchinilawoffices.net/MFacchini.html

Species Douchus erectus.

Michael graduated from Western New England College of Law in May, 1998 and was sworn into the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a practicing Attorney in November, 1998. He earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Biology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in 1993. Following his graduation from Umass, Amherst, Michael continued his advanced studies at Westfield State College in Education. He taught Special Education in both the Springfield School Public High School system and a private High School in Holyoke, Massachusetts for two years prior to entering law school in 1995.

Micheal.jpg

i agree 10000000%

however, i think what did him in is that he went in his house and grabbed the shottie and came back out...

100000% speculation on my part.

this IS fracked up beyond recognition!

*thinking like a sheep* he was able to get inside his home, she should have called animal control and waited...

know your enemy
Didn't Scrivener get a guy off that went home for his gun?

Respectfully,
jkelly

I'm glad the dude got served. Am I the only one that realizes that if these two dogs were you average Labs this wouldn't even be a story?

So does this dbag live in a screened in porch or something? No glass sliding door or maybe your traditional entry door? Going inside your house to get a shotgun and coming back out to shoot your neighbors dogs because they are in your back yards is just stupid. This guy must have been insane. While $15,000 is a lot to spend on your dog, if you have the money why not?

Most comments on this thread are outrageous too.

While I love almost all breeds of dog, bully breeds along with rottweilers and shepherds get a bad reputation. Kind of like all of us here on this board with our guns. Although we have the 2A rights by our side, we are still perceived in the eyes of our fellow constituents the same as these types of dogs listed above. "Misunderstood"

This case has nothing to do with self defense. It has to do with a crazy person with a shotgun thinking he can get away with killing a dog which is suppose to be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom