Monson 3gun Match 10/1/16 is ON

NickW

NES Member
New Match Director- Alan Gliniak. Oct 1, 2016 Match Is On!!

I'm happy to announce will continue to run multi-gun matches at the Springfield Sportsman's Club, Monson, MA in 2016. We will be running a clinic for new shooters and (3) multi-gun matches this year. The dates are listed below. We had requests to try and run some Saturday matches and/or not run our matches on the same weekend as the Harvard Sportsman's Club USPSA matches so more shooters can attend and we don't pull shooters from the Harvard matches. We tried to oblige.

We will be using practiscore's match sign-up for the clinic and match registration this year. We hope to have the matches listed on practiscore.com by the end of March. We will post in this thread when we are set up and registration is open.

Dates for reference:

Clinic - Saturday May 7, 2016. We will go over rules, equipment selection, shooting / reloading techniques and rifle zero. We will shoot out to 300 yards and explain zero and hold-over. This is a FREE clinic to help new shooters get started. Pre-reg will be required and there will be a limited number of slots.

Match - Saturday June 4, 2016

Match - Sunday August 7, 2016

Match - Saturday October 1, 2016 (Match is on!)

If you haven't shot one of your multi-gun matches, we generally run 5 stages, one being a rifle stage with targets out to 300 yards.
**Couple of notes regarding our rifle stages: We use MGM steel Flash Targets, 10", 12" or C zone IPSC. We will do our best to make sure the targets are visible / contrast well against the back ground. However, if you can't see these targets at 200 and 300 yards and are shooting iron sights, you may want to think about switching to an optic. We will also be reducing the number of shooting positions on the rifle stage we have fewer shooters "time-out". As they say, if it was easy, everyone could do it :)

Shoot me a PM with any questions or post here and Dan S. or I will try and answer.
Shoot well,
Nick-

Last edited:
Good stuff Nick thanks to and those that help and to your Club you must have a good BOD, its great to see 3 gun taking off in New England. I'll be there.

I don't currently own a shotgun, but am interested in the clinic. Are there still openings, and is there opportunity for someone without all the firearms to give it a try? Also, WRT shotguns, any opinions on a comparison of the Mossberg 930 JM mentioned above vs the Stoeger M3K? And where the heck can you find either of these guns!?

I don't currently own a shotgun, but am interested in the clinic. Are there still openings, and is there opportunity for someone without all the firearms to give it a try? Also, WRT shotguns, any opinions on a comparison of the Mossberg 930 JM mentioned above vs the Stoeger M3K? And where the heck can you find either of these guns!?

Nick W. is the contact for the clinic. I shoot a Benelli, but with the two options you stated, I'd go with the Stoeger. Try the normal M3000, the M3K is scarce.

I got this email from Nick W. last night about the upcoming clinic at the Springfield Sportsman's Club.

Hello Shooters,

CLINIC

Our 2016 shooting season is here (even though it is currently snowing outside :). Monson Action Shooters / Springfield Sportsman's Club will be holding a FREE 3gun clinic for new shooters on Saturday May 7, 2016. This clinic will go over all the necessary topics needed to participate in 3gun. This will be a live-fire clinic, so please bring all the gear / firearms you plan on using for 3gun. We will review your gear, give you options and help you get ready for this great sport. If you don't have gear, don't worry, come, learn and buy after the clinic. Please try and zero your rifle at 50 yards. Zero = rifle is sighted-in for a particular distance. Other words, when a bullet is fired from your rifle it will hit a target in the center when the sights or optics are properly aligned. We will explain rifle ballistics and hold-overs more in-depth at the clinic. The clinic will start at 8:30am and we should be done by 5pm or earlier. Pack a lunch and water. Wear appropriate clothing and footwear. Make sure you bring ear and eye protection.

This will be a COLD RANGE. All guns must be unloaded until told to load by an RO. Only handle guns on the line with an RO or at the safe area. Please do not handle guns at your car. Go to a safe area to unbag your pistol to holster. If you have a cart for your rifle / shotgun, unbag and put long guns on your cart at the safe area. Long guns need to have a chamber flag inserted in the ejection port. Long guns should be carried muzzle up (bolt locked back - chamber flag inserted) or kept in your rifle/shotgun case until its your turn to shoot and an RO tells you to unbag. We will be on the rifle range in the AM and on a pistol bay in the afternoon.

Clinic registration will be live on April 7, 2016 through www.matchsignup.org. Click on local matches and then on the Monson 3gun clinic to register. Clinic is limited to 25 shooters.

MATCHES

We also plan to hold (3) matches this year. Our 1st match will be on Saturday June 4, 2016. We will use matchsignup.org for match registration as well. A match fee of $40 will be collected on match day. These matches always fill up so please register early, but only register if you plan on attending. Registration for the June 4 match will also go live on April 7. Match is limited to 50 shooters / (5) squads of 10 shooters.

If all goes well with the clinic and the June 4 match, we will hold two additional matches on August 07 and October 01.

This is our 1st time using matchsignup for 3gun so if you experience any problems, please let me know.

NON RESIDENT COMPETITORS BRINGING FIREARMS INTO MA

Non resident competitors should refer to GOAL (Gun Owner's Action League - MA RKBA Organization) and/or research MA firearms laws prior to coming into MA with a firearm. MA has restrictions on what type of firearms can and can't be brought into the state for the purpose of competing in a shooting match. Please educate yourself so you don't get yourself in trouble. See here: Travel Information - Visiting MA With A Firearm

Travel Information - Visiting MA With A Firearm

Thank you for your support. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Guess since I'm the assistant match director for Woburn's monthly IDPA match on May 7th, I would miss this clinic!! Next time, hopefully! Have fun, y'all!

Guess since I'm the assistant match director for Woburn's monthly IDPA match on May 7th, I would miss this clinic!! Next time, hopefully! Have fun, y'all!

The matches and the clinic are preregistration only. If you weren't in several weeks ago, you wouldn't be able to attend.

The matches and the clinic are preregistration only. If you weren't in several weeks ago, you wouldn't be able to attend.

Oh, I know, and I knew I was involved in the IDPA match about a month ago, but forgot that I had expressed interest here, so figured I would mention that I do still have an interest in future clinics!

Oh, I know, and I knew I was involved in the IDPA match about a month ago, but forgot that I had expressed interest here, so figured I would mention that I do still have an interest in future clinics!

I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow, and take it from there. The goal is to try and save shooters some time on the learning curve and help them not spend a lot of time and $ on equipment they may not like.

can non members come out just to watch and check it out?

Thanx
Definitely! This is how people can get a basic idea of the game, look at how people set up their guns and related gear.
This is true of any of the action shooting games.
Just bring eye and ear protection.

Ugh, I wish I saw this thread a long time ago, I would have liked to go to the May 7th thing. I do already have the hardware though, at least as far as guns. I'm going to try to make the June one to spectate and potentially shoot the Aug one. Awesome that 3 gun is growing around here!

If anyone wants a 3 gun cart that is all set up and ready to go, send me a pm I ended up with an extra and can bring it out to the match.

August Match Cancelled

If you were interested in the August 7th match, but not on Nick's email list, the match unfortunately has been cancelled.
Hopefully the October match will still be a go.

Back
Top Bottom