Monadnock & NES needs your help

I would attend every car shoot to help raise more money.

I still have the T-shirt from the Porsche shoot.
I'd attend and help to raise some $$, too. Our trip to NES Country in 2011 was 4 months after the car shoot, but I've got the T-shirt, too.
However, we were at Fred's Birthday Shoot at Monument Beach that year. Sweet memories!

If it's just six acres of land that is probably a Superfund site because of lead contamination, perhaps a collection could be taken to purchase the offending land at FMV and end the dispute.

If it's just six acres of land that is probably a Superfund site because of lead contamination, perhaps a collection could be taken to purchase the offending land at FMV and end the dispute.

I think somewhere in this thread that the offer was made and refused.

More than a year after the Monadnock Rod and Gun Club was ordered to pay a couple close to $650,000 to clean up the land the club illegally took for a gun range, the club has yet to make good on the order.
L. Phillips Runyon, the attorney for Scott and Bridgette Perry, said the couple is considering working with the town of Peterborough and forcing a sale of the club’s property in order to collect the money.
“I don’t think they have any liquid property,” Runyon said.

Club officials have not responded to multiple requests for comment. The club was represented in court by different attorneys before former club president Mark Carbone took over the case. Runyon said Carbone stopped participating in the hearings toward the end of the case last year.
The town of Peterborough was awarded a summary judgment in its cases against the club in a December ruling. The town is supposed to get $3,500 in fines and reasonable attorney’s fees for the club’s violations of wetlands regulations and zoning ordinances. Town Administrator Nicole MacStay said this week the club had not made any payment to the town, as ordered by the court.
The club, which has been in existence since 1947, brought a lawsuit against Scott and Bridgette Perry in 2018 over the firearms range on a six-acre parcel on Old Jaffrey Road that the Perrys own. Bridgette Perry said that after the couple complained to the club about the range on their land, the club sought the ruling so that it could take the land through adverse possession, also known as squatter’s rights.

The club initially tried to buy the land for $10,000, an offer the Perrys rejected.

These statements make it clear what this is all about:

Phillips Runyon, the attorney for Scott and Bridgette Perry, said the couple is considering working with the town of Peterborough and forcing a sale of the club’s property in order to collect the money.
“I don’t think they have any liquid property,” Runyon said.

The summary judgment ruling closes the case, and it may close out the club. Peterborough voters adopted a zoning amendment in 2018 that outlaws all new outdoor gun ranges. The club had the only outdoor range in town prior to the shutdown.

This is what happens when the Progressive cancer is allowed to metastasize.

Sounds like the club is out of options. That really sucks. I can't count how many events I've been to there. A long hike from the Cape but well worth it. Hopefully they can find a location in a different town, pull up roots and start up a new range. Oh and F*CK all those voters in Peterborough who decided they hate the sound of freedom.

Sounds like the club is out of options. That really sucks. I can't count how many events I've been to there. A long hike from the Cape but well worth it. Hopefully they can find a location in a different town, pull up roots and start up a new range. Oh and F*CK all those voters in Peterborough who decided they hate the sound of freedom.

Is bankruptcy an option? I'd be f***ing great if someone from the club would chime in. Throwing the towel is always the easy way out. We are fighting for more than just the club here.

It seems to me they could take a loan using the land for collateral, pay off the vultures and continue operation.

$650000, 30 years at 3.8% and you have a $3030 a month payment. Seems manageable but you'll probably need to increase dues and figure some ways to increase cash. One option believe it or not is Christmas tree farming. At WSA we've been approached about using some of the land for tree farming a few times.

If the Perrys get their cleanup money, are they required to spend it on cleaning up the land?
Of course not!

Even if they paid them off, IIRC the town permanently shutdown all shooting there and is unlikely to allow them to reopen under any circumstances.

If they are forced to sell (very sad), they should sell to Avalon for a huge apartment complex. It seems that every Avalon development results in lots of police calls for service. My MA town (and the one I grew up in) both have one of their complexes. Prostitution, drug rings, crime, overdoses, etc. are the flavor of the day. My former police chief (and boss) once told me that it was the worst mistake the town made to allow them to build there. I'm sure that the Perrys would prefer them as neighbors! [devil]

Unfortunately i don't think NH has the Sec 40B Doomsday Device thing in play. Otherwise Monadnock could have pulled the pin on that grenade a long time ago and held the spoon the whole time....

If they think they're going to get that money from the sale of the land, they are still retarded. They've basically destroyed the entire value of that property by doing what they did. What kind of person is going to buy that parcel to live next to someone that has buddies in the town willing to bankrupt you?

If they think they're going to get that money from the sale of the land, they are still retarded. They've basically destroyed the entire value of that property by doing what they did. What kind of person is going to buy that parcel to live next to someone that has buddies in the town willing to bankrupt you?

I don't think they care, their idea was probably just to shut the club down. I bet 10 years from now it will just be derelict, overgrown and shitty. It'd be funny though if the perrys inherit an albatross as a result though.

I don't think they care, their idea was probably just to shut the club down. I bet 10 years from now it will just be derelict, overgrown and shitty. It'd be funny though if the perrys inherit an albatross as a result though.

I do have to wonder, if they ever did try to sell (or refinance, or whatever) their land, wouldn't this unresolved $650,000 judgement attached to their property be a problem? NFW are they actually going to use any money they get to "clean it up", so it will remain "dirty" indefinitely. You basically have a court decision that the land their house is on is a biohazard site, and no one wants to buy land that has issues attached to it. If they had left it alone or sold the 6 acres to the club, none of this would be an issue for them. Maybe they could subdivide it so the 6 acres is a separate lot again, I dunno.

Not that I think it is likely they would sell. The Perry's appear to be "old money" in the area, been around a long time and I see that surname all over the place on various road names and parcels.

I do have to wonder, if they ever did try to sell (or refinance, or whatever) their land, wouldn't this unresolved $650,000 judgement attached to their property be a problem? NFW are they actually going to use any money they get to "clean it up", so it will remain "dirty" indefinitely. You basically have a court decision that the land their house is on is a biohazard site, and no one wants to buy land that has issues attached to it. If they had left it alone or sold the 6 acres to the club, none of this would be an issue for them. Maybe they could subdivide it so the 6 acres is a separate lot again, I dunno.

Not that I think it is likely they would sell. The Perry's appear to be "old money" in the area, been around a long time and I see that surname all over the place on various road names and parcels.

They are too stupid to realize what they've done, which is screwed themselves because they wanted to use government as a weapon. The range should declare bankruptcy and then someone from the town should file a complaint that the Perry's haven't cleaned up their environmental hazard yet. Then report the Perry's to the EPA.

I wish I had the capital to help in a meaningful way.
what’s happened to this club ought to be criminal.
This isn't the first club this happened to, Lone Pine in Hollis, I am willing to be Purgatory will be next, it is almost like a concerted effort to shut down clubs in NH

How much would dues need to be to meet the payments if they did take a loan?
I’d apply for a membership even though I’m never in the area.

It seems to me they could take a loan using the land for collateral, pay off the vultures and continue operation.

$650000, 30 years at 3.8% and you have a $3030 a month payment. Seems manageable but you'll probably need to increase dues and figure some ways to increase cash. One option believe it or not is Christmas tree farming. At WSA we've been approached about using some of the land for tree farming a few times.

If we assume that the roughly $36,000/year loan payment is accurate, that increases yearly dues by approximately $120 for each of the 300 members (300 member cap, according to the website). Current membership is $100, so it would more than double the cost, and this assumes you don't lose any members due to the price increase.

How much would dues need to be to meet the payments if they did take a loan?
I’d apply for a membership even though I’m never in the area.

At the peak there were less than 250 members and dues were $100 per family. A lot of members were NES people who lived nowhere near the club. Most of the money went to town taxes, insurance, electricity, etc. The club did not have a lot of "spare money" even for improvements.

The Perry's clearly didn't plan ahead on getting saddled with a $650k cleanup that no one could afford. I hope this f***s their family over when they die too.

If we assume that the roughly $36,000/year loan payment is accurate, that increases yearly dues by approximately $120 for each of the 300 members (300 member cap, according to the website). Current membership is $100, so it would more than double the cost, and this assumes you don't lose any members due to the price increase.

Look at having some of the unused land, if there is any, declared as conservation. This will reduce property tax. Apply savings toward loan. Look at selected rotating timber cuts. Use the revenue towards the loan. As stated earlier investigate tree farming and see if there is any money to be made.

Add a $75 per year surcharge on membership specifically earmarked towards the loan. Increase membership levels from 300 to 450. ($75 * 450 = $33750)

It would not be easy. It would be work. It would be a long term commitment. I'm not even sure if you could get a loan based on the judgement or if any bank would do it but you won't know till you investigate it. The question is how bad do the members want to keep the club open.

Look at having some of the unused land, if there is any, declared as conservation. This will reduce property tax. Apply savings toward loan. Look at selected rotating timber cuts. Use the revenue towards the loan. As stated earlier investigate tree farming and see if there is any money to be made.

Add a $75 per year surcharge on membership specifically earmarked towards the loan. Increase membership levels from 300 to 450. ($75 * 450 = $33750)

It would not be easy. It would be work. It would be a long term commitment. I'm not even sure if you could get a loan based on the judgement or if any bank would do it but you won't know till you investigate it. The question is how bad do the members want to keep the club open.
Of course a huge problem is “if you can’t actually shoot there, then much of the usefulness of the facility is gone. “ It’d be a different story if you could cordon off the contested area and have a smaller 100d range situated elsewhere and be legally allowed to shoot.

Unfortunately i don't think NH has the Sec 40B Doomsday Device thing in play. Otherwise Monadnock could have pulled the pin on that grenade a long time ago and held the spoon the whole time....
NH has something (RSA) called "workforce housing" that seems to drive snobs crazy when it is proposed. Seems similar in nature.

RSA 674:58-:61

I thought in NH a town couldn’t tell you what you can and can’t do in terms of guns/shooting?? Preemption or something??

A developer who builds, gets paid and moves on. They don't care about the neighbors. That's why an Avalon apartment complex would be great, they'd bring the neighborhood down and drive the Perrys crazy.
It certainly was to use the town as a bludgeon to shut it down.

Back
Top Bottom