• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mom's first gun

roccoracer

NES Member
So my mom has finally decided to buy herself a firearm for home defense. She has never owned her own but my dad and I have owned them for the majority of our lives so she has been around plenty. I will be working with her on her fundamentals and safety.
She lives in New Hampshire and so she can own many guns that I do not have experience with here in Massachusetts. What does everyone recommend for a sub $300 good all around firearm. I am thinking mostly a handgun but I am not completely sold on that idea yet.
Thank you for your time.
Scott

Ruger SR9 or SR9C. If you have a few extra bucks pick up a S&W M&P 9.

If you have to go .380 get a Sig.

A new Ruger SR9E would be at the ~$300 mark or a used .38/357 revolver. Used M&Ps are also comparable with the Apex trigger kit installed. It really comes down to personal preference over the grip/form factor choosing between the Smiths and Rugers.

Hi-point carbine. Proven home defense weapon, hits the price point, carbines are much easier to shoot well than a handgun, especially for an aging person.

For around that price point, you will be hardpressed to find much better than the SR9 (regular or compact), however, as someone else mentioned a nice revolver keeps things nice and simple.

I'd vote for a SR9. I helped my sister buy her first gun last year which was a full size SR9. Great trigger out of the box.

My mom lives in NH as well and expressed interest in getting a shotgun (as that's all she's shot before when her and my dad were married) for the house (as her and my stepdad were burglarized a few years ago) but my stepdad is antigun and doesn't want any guns in the house[thinking]. Very frusterating when my mom wants to take responsibility for her own safety and her husband doesn't. Anyway, a shotty like a mossberg 500 is always a good home defense gun.

love 4" 38 for 2nd gun

4" revolver, .38 Special. Keep it simple.

I am a big fan of revolvers for the novice unless they are going to practice quite often. That being said, we should stop selecting guns for the women in our lives. Take them to the range and let them figure out what they like. Let them shoot your guns, your friends' guns and rent some too. What we like might not work for others. The wrong weapon can eliminate all the fun. Many new shooters buy too much gun and it ends up gathering dust. IMHO every gun safe should contain a 22r revolver for training friends and family. start with 22r and climb the ladder to 38, 9, 45, 44....

Back
Top Bottom