• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mom arrested for gun across in NJ may be spared prison sentence

Reptile

NES Member
Mom arrested for bringing registered gun across NJ border may be spared prison sentence

A Philadelphia mom who faced hard time after bringing a registered gun across the New Jersey border will be allowed to enter a program that could spare her a prison sentence after a ruling late Wednesday.

Shaneen Allen, a 27-year-old mother of two who was arrested last year after being stopped on the Atlantic City Expressway and told police she had the gun and a Pennsylvania conceal-carry permit, faced up to three years in prison in New Jersey, where gun laws are among the strictest in the nation. But the state Attorney General’s office issued a clarification of the rules governing pre-trial intervention to ensure that Allen would be eligible.

“It’s a great day for my client and also for gun rights in New Jersey,” Allen’s attorney, Evan Nappen, of Eatontown, told FoxNews.com. “It’s a victory for all of those similarly situated, and that was very important to Shaneen.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/2...ed-gun-across-nj-border-may-be-spared-prison/
---

NFL star knocks out wife and gets in diversion program.

Not this NJ mom.

Now she gets into diversion program.

This was probably the result of gun groups raising the attention of this and putting a ton of pressure on NJ. I've contacted a number of NJ pol's, I'm sure many others have and the pro gun media and gun groups have raised the attention of this.

This case was absurd from the start. F NJ.

This is why we need interstate reciprocity at least in the short term. The actual "end model" should be license-free carry by any adult in the United States. Then all this anti-2A, anti-human rights BS goes away and we can actually have the criminal justice system focus on prosecuting and incarcerating, well, actual criminals.

This is why we need interstate reciprocity at least in the short term. The actual "end model" should be license-free carry by any adult in the United States. Then all this anti-2A, anti-human rights BS goes away and we can actually have the criminal justice system focus on prosecuting and incarcerating, well, actual criminals.

Last edited by a moderator:
This commentary reflects NJ gun restrictionist thinking.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...08/09/commentary-keep-state-guns-nj/13834245/
Recent reporting in the Courier-Post and elsewhere has made much of the plight of a South Philadelphia woman, Shaneen Allen, reportedly charged in New Jersey with transporting and concealing a handgun loaded with armor-piercing bullets — three transgressions of long-standing state law.

Heeding God’s Call, the faith-based and grass-roots movement to prevent gun violence headquartered in Philadelphia and operating in New Jersey and other states, applauds the fact of the coverage, if not all of its tone.

The good news is that, by working to promote attention to this case, pro-gun zealots, such as Allen’s lawyer, have inadvertently done an important public education service, as the case’s notoriety may make it less likely Pennsylvanians holding permits to carry concealed and loaded handguns in public will bring them across Delaware River bridges, thereby making themselves and New Jersey safer from gun violence.
I'm going to assume this is the standard willful conflation of "armor-piercing" with "hollow point" ammo.

This commentary reflects NJ gun restrictionist thinking.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...08/09/commentary-keep-state-guns-nj/13834245/

I'm going to assume this is the standard willful conflation of "armor-piercing" with "hollow point" ammo.

What, you want them to have an understanding of something they write on? Pleez.

I like this.

The good news is that, by working to promote attention to this case, pro-gun zealots, such as Allen’s lawyer, have inadvertently done an important public education service, as the case’s notoriety may make it less likely Pennsylvanians holding permits to carry concealed and loaded handguns in public will bring them across Delaware River bridges, thereby making themselves and New Jersey safer from gun violence.

Yeah, because the conceal carry holders from PA are the ones committing the murders in Camden, Trenton, Jersey City, Newark, etc. Talk about a moron.

This might have had something to do with the AG changing his mind too:

shaneen%20billboard.jpg

What, you want them to have an understanding of something they write on? Pleez.

I like this.

Yeah, because the conceal carry holders from PA are the ones committing the murders in Camden, Trenton, Jersey City, Newark, etc. Talk about a moron.
I disagree with your assessment of the author's "understanding" of the material and your suggestion he does not know concealed carriers are not committing the murders in Camden, Trenton, Jersey City, Newark, etc. Bryan Miller is the executive director of Heeding God's Call (HGC, http://heedinggodscall.org/), a civilian disarmament enthusiasts' organization. As with MAIG/Everytown/MDA, HGC is in the leadership/agitator role of gun prohibitionism, and in that role are well aware of message manipulation. From Bloomberg and company, we have seen the following as they work to control the message by controlling the language of the non-debate:
  • Deliberate conflation of "automatic" and "semi-automatic"
  • "Gun violence"
  • "Gun death(s)"
  • "Assault weapon"
  • "Military-style"
  • "Gun bullies"
  • "Gun nuts"
  • "Gun fetishists"
  • Deliberate conflation of "armor-piercing" and "hollow point"
And of course there is emotional manipulation, such as the following:
  • Feigning feeling intimidated by people with firearms
  • ​Promotion of hoplobia by anthropomorphizing guns.

But perhaps most significant is the deliberate conflation of crime perpetrated by people using illegally-possessed firearms with crime perpetrated by people using legally-possessed firearms. This is key and is the crux of Miller's argument. They repeat the message, almost entirely unopposed, that anyone carrying a firearm, whether doing so legally or not, is a likely contributor to the bulk of crimes committed using firearms. Thus your legal carrying of a firearm is equivalent to an MS-13 member's carrying of a firearm illegally, per their message. HGC is well aware it is a lie, but like MAIG, etc., they know they only have to control the message by repeating it and disallowing debate.

I have no doubt rank-and-file true believers, such as, say the Dallas area members of MDA-TX have no understanding of the material and simply parrot what is puked upon them from above, but at the top levels none of the above is done in ignorance.

Glad to hear this for her.

I think she was busting her butt just to provide a future for her kids and NJ did that crap.

http://www.my9nj.com/story/26635668/honest-gun-owning-mom-is-ready-to-move-on-with-her-life

The terms of Allen's pre-trial intervention require her to forfeit her gun and permit to carry in Philadelphia, but if she remains arrest-free for a year, her record will be clear and she can get on with her life.

Sadly, Allen originally got the gun to try and protect her and her family after being robbed twice in her neighborhood. Throughout this whole ordeal she said she was even assaulted an additional time, but she is still forced to give up her only form of protection.

[banghead]

So why does NJ want her to forfeit her PA license? Can they really make a demand for something that is legal out-of-state? That seems pretty more of a political statement to me.

So why does NJ want her to forfeit her PA license? Can they really make a demand for something that is legal out-of-state? That seems pretty more of a political statement to me.

It is a political statement. The whole ordeal is a result of a political statement. They don't care about being fair, or adhering to the concept of justice.

PA should send her a new one and tell NJ to F off and mind their own business. They're control stops and the line and PA should make they understand that.

People say they hope CA falls into the ocean, on the east coast there isn't one that deserves that fate more than NJ.

We have the bill of RIGHTS and this shit is happening ......HOW ???!! what the **** is wrong?

NJ asks what's the bill of rights?

Also, she needs to stay clean for 1 yr? I think Ray Rice's diversion program is only 6 months.

The "deferred prosecution" is probably similar to the MA "Continuance without a finding" and NY "Adjournment contemplating dismissal". The charges remain pending for a certain period of time (one year was mentioned in this case), and then are dropped if the subject does not get into any more trouble with the system. Under such an arrangement, the person is free and there is no bail required, but the individual technically has charges pending.

I suspect that the PA gun license prohibition is a result of the pending felony charges that will remain in place. She will probably be eligible to reapply once her term in the "deferred prosecution" program has concluded.

Back
Top Bottom