Modifying a Muzzle Brake

GM-GUY

NES Member
These damn things are loud, and the new upper I got my son has one pinned/welded/attached. Would drilling out the two holes in the baffles from the 1/4" they are now up to say 3/8" or 1/2" quiet it down? It seems like it should as more gases will go out with the bullet but I don't want to do something that will not work or worse screw it up.

Brakes are loud. If it bothers you now I'm doubting the bigger holes will help much.
Grind off the muzzle device and install a thread cap.
If you need the MD to achieve legal barrel length plan on a barrel with out a MD.

I have grown to like my ARe with out MD.
The one AR I have left with one has that generic "military" style brake. Sort of looks like a old school bird cage flash hider
Its not as obnoxious as others. Still not fun for those to the left or right

what's funny to me is, I spent 5 days at devens with my reserve unit...3 were basically full days of shooting. there was a time or two or three that I caught myself without hearing protection on when firing commenced and it wasn't all that bad. that being said, whenever i'm at the range at home, if someone has an AR with an MC...it's fairly likely that I choose to go to another part of the range until they're done shooting.

I don't know what the difference in actual dB rating is between a birdcage and a MA compliant brake, but the same exact damn ammo out of a civilian AR seems to have enough percussion to make ME jump! how one AR can feel louder than 30-40 M16's shooting at the same time is beyond me. i'm sure some of it has to do with the physical layout of Golf range @ Devens vs. WP&R club with berms in pretty much every direction except up the driveway.

what's funny to me is, I spent 5 days at devens with my reserve unit...3 were basically full days of shooting. there was a time or two or three that I caught myself without hearing protection on when firing commenced and it wasn't all that bad. that being said, whenever i'm at the range at home, if someone has an AR with an MC...it's fairly likely that I choose to go to another part of the range until they're done shooting.

I don't know what the difference in actual dB rating is between a birdcage and a MA compliant brake, but the same exact damn ammo out of a civilian AR seems to have enough percussion to make ME jump! how one AR can feel louder than 30-40 M16's shooting at the same time is beyond me. i'm sure some of it has to do with the physical layout of Golf range @ Devens vs. WP&R club with berms in pretty much every direction except up the driveway.

As for modifying a brake on the rifle i would supose you would need to drill larger holes and change the angle to be more forward position. Simple thing to do is install a brake thats more quiet? Its not hard to remove a pinned and welded brake then install a new one that might be less of a ear ringer

i dont know all that much about MD other than they redirect the gases reward and to the sides. I had a brake on a 14" barrel that would blow my hat off and make my glasses jump....

Now why a line of M16s doesnt sound loud on the line...Devens is pretty wide open correct? less noise to bounce back.
I dont know what you guys are using for MD now days but shooting at night with a few friends the M16 with vietnam era bird cage you can see the "blast" of the gases is spread out much more evenly in all direction...its amazing you cant see the flash that well . Now the muzzle breaks i watched that night not only seemed to increase the "flash" but definitely pushes the flash and noise level almost every where but to the front.
not the best example but

Last edited by a moderator:
The holes in line where the bullet travels, that 'scrub' the air and gasses from the bullet would be the way to describe it. Basically just make it more of a tube with holes in the side on the end of the muzzle.

Back
Top Bottom