• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Modern Polymer 9mm Service Pistols

My OCD is flaring up. [wink]

I'm compiling a list of all polymer 9mm full-size service pistols in current production.

I want to stick with full-size "duty" versions of each, as opposed to compact models geared toward concealed carry or extended size models geared toward competition. Each gun must be available in the US, but does not need to be MA compliant.

If you have an addition or correction to make, please post.

Glock 17 *
Walther P99, P99AS
S&W 99
S&W M&P 9
S&W SD9/Sigma *
Walther PPQ
Ruger SR9
HK P30
HK USP *
Springfield XD Service Model 4"
Springfield XD(M) 3.8" and 4.5"
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II
CZ P-09
FNH FNS-9
FNH FNX-9
Caracal F
Steyr L-A1
Steyr M-A1
Beretta Storm Px4
Taurus 809
Taurus PR24/7 G2
Sig Sauer SP2022
Sig Sauer P250 Full Size
Sig Sauer P320

( * = denotes pistols that will accept pre ban magazines without modifications that would likely render the magazine illegal)

What else have you got?

Last edited:
CZ 75 Phantom*
Walther P99, P99AS*
S&W 99* (Smith's clone of the above)
Sig P250
Sig Pro
Ruger P95*
Glock 19*
Glock 23*
HK USP*
HK P2000

Skipping the compact/subcompacts for this (i.e. Glock 19/26, etc.), forgot about the Sig, and I didn't know that CZ was polymer. Regarding the P99, hasn't it been discontinued for the PPQ?

Magnum Research Baby Eagle II (yep, they make it in polymer)
FNH FNX, my fahzha-in-law has one, niiiiice pistol, all ambi controls.

Can't think of any others at the moment...I'm sure there's more.

On the PPQ, it will accept 2nd gen P99 mags. Also, 1st gen P99 mags can be modified to fit it.

Steyr M9
Beretta Storm

Last edited:
My OCD is flaring up. [wink]

I'm compiling a list of all polymer 9mm service pistols in current production. I want to stick with "duty" versions of each, as opposed to models geared toward concealed carry or competition. Each gun must be available in the US, but does not need to be MA compliant. I would also like to notate any pistols that will accept pre ban magazines without modifications.

If you have an addition or correction to make, please post.

What else have you got?

Sorry PaulD - didn't realize you already listed it.

The Beretta Storm Px4 should fit your criteria (no pre-ban mags that I am aware of).

Last edited:
Skipping the compact/subcompacts for this (i.e. Glock 19/26, etc.), forgot about the Sig, and I didn't know that CZ was polymer. Regarding the P99, hasn't it been discontinued for the PPQ?

Problem is for some PDs/agencies the G19 and the G23 are indeed "service" or duty pistols... so it all depends on how you want to describe the term. Same thing with guns like the P2000 and the mid size sigs as well.

-Mike

Problem is for some PDs/agencies the G19 and the G23 are indeed "service" or duty pistols... so it all depends on how you want to describe the term. Same thing with guns like the P2000 and the mid size sigs as well.

-Mike

Truth be told, I was on the fence about the G19. I personally would lump that, the HK P2000, the CZ P-07, etc. into "duty" guns, but I don't know that they would really be considered true service-size pistols.

Thoughts?

Walter is still manufacturing the P99AS and P99C-AS. New models bear the updated importer stamp "Walther Arms Fort Smith AR" as opposed to the S&W stamp they had previously.

You missed the Springfield XDm 4.5 and 3.8.

Also you should include a legend (or note) indicating the symbol used to mark a gun that has pre-bans available.

My departments main duty weapon is a Glock 23, so it can be a duty gun.

Yeah, I'm really chewing that one over. Not sure where I want to draw the line on what is considered "full-size" and what is not. I'm thinking that if the model requires a smaller magazine, then it is a compact version, but I don't know.

Yeah, I'm really chewing that one over. Not sure where I want to draw the line on what is considered "full-size" and what is not. I'm thinking that if the model requires a smaller magazine, then it is a compact version, but I don't know.

Not to sound condescending, but the G19/23 is a Compact by the Glock site.

Are we sure the P99 has preban mags? The P99 was produced starting in 1997. I thought preban was anything older than 1994?

Are we sure the P99 has preban mags? The P99 was produced starting in 1997. I thought preban was anything older than 1994?

This is the best information I could find on that topic so far:

MGMike @ WaltherForums.com said:
The first P99 (then "HLP") prototype to arrive in the United States came here in May 1995. This was long after the 1994 ban took effect. The gun was in 9mm and bore an experimental (versuchs) serial number, V1626. The next 8 guns to arrive also were prototypes, s/ns V1647-1654. This was in July 1996.

All of the above arrived with 10-round magazines, which were still in development. Later 15-round magazines do not fit the prototypes very well.

The first 9mm P99s from serial production did not arrive until October 1996.

The prototype P99 in .40 S&W arrived in the USA in January 1997; this was s/n V1938. The first .40 cal. production guns (just ten of them) were not sent until more than a year later, in February 1998.

Those also came with 10-shot magazines.

So technically no pre-ban magazines exist for the P99, and certainly not for the P99c. However, one can modify Beretta 92FS mags (of which there are many pre-ban) for use in the P99 by cutting/drilling a new mag release hole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom