Modern handguns that have preban mags available?

Im moving to MA soon and looking to get ready for the silly MA compliance rules.

Currently, I have a p365 xmacro which obviously cant come with me since the gun design itself is very new so all the mags are going to be unique to it and new as well. And it doesnt make much sense to bring a fullsize gun like this that can only run 10rd mags.

So, the question is:

What modern pistol can I buy (meaning, still being manufactured in the last few years) that will work with any preban mag?

What I know of so far: USP 9mm, Sig P22x models, and of course Glock 19/17s.

Ideally looking for something more compact than fullsize if possible!

Especially interested in guns I need to buy now (ie- a gen5 g19) that I wont be able to get once I am a resident.

Last edited:
Besides the obvious ones like Glocks and Sigs, the Canik TP9 can work with Beretta and Sig mags with minor modifications. I also believe that the Taurus C3 compact will take P226 mags as well

Im moving to MA soon and looking to get ready for the silly MA compliance rules.
My sympathies. I hope you are getting paid well enough to put up with the BS.
Currently, I have a p365 xmacro which obviously cant come with me since the gun design itself is very new so all the mags are going to be unique to it and new as well. And it doesnt make much sense to bring a fullsize gun like this that can only run 10rd mags.
If the X-macro is working for you, it might make sense to keep it and install mag blocks. Then it can come with you, and when you escape you can go back to 17-rounders.

CZ 75 and CZ SP-01 use same mags. CZ 75 has been in production since the 70's so there are plenty of pre-ban mags floating around.
All full-size guns from the Beretta's 92 series can use pre-ban mags. Beretta pre-ban mags are particularly easy to find since these guns were used by US and Korean militaries.

Especially interested in guns I need to buy now (ie- a gen5 g19) that I wont be able to get once I am a resident.
You can legally buy a new gen 5 G19 in MA once a resident.
One reason you should buy it first and bring it with you would be that there would be no transaction that needs to be recorded in MA. The more guns you bring that won’t be in the MA FRB database the better!

Did you want to be the first, is that what this is about?

Shame, shame, shame...

🐯

I probably already had been

But if we really want to pretend she's the worst thing ever, acting like she'd send someone to figure out which other guns go on the "AG's list" next to Glocks isn't even hard to believe.

Also, drinking.

One reason you should buy it first and bring it with you would be that there would be no transaction that needs to be recorded in MA. The more guns you bring that won’t be in the MA FRB database the better!
What? I know that glocks are on the approved roster, but I thought they werent on the super-secret AG list? When did that happen?

Are you saying I can walk into a gun store and get a G19 Gen5? Or that I have to buy it in a face to face transaction with someone who has one already?

So, the question is:

What modern pistol can I buy (meaning, still being manufactured in the last few years) that will work with any preban mag?

What I know of so far: USP 9mm, Sig P22x models, and of course Glock 19/17s.

Ideally looking for something more compact than fullsize if possible!

Keep the P365. Get an XL grip module and some 10 round mags for it. Done.

Last edited:
Also will save the MA rape fee. 👍

What? I know that glocks are on the approved roster, but I thought they werent on the super-secret AG list? When did that happen?

Are you saying I can walk into a gun store and get a G19 Gen5? Or that I have to buy it in a face to face transaction with someone who has one already?

Glocks are on the roster but do NOT comply with the AG’s “consumer protection” regulations. Handguns have to meet both of these restrictions before a dealer can sell them in MA, hence why you can’t buy a Glock from a dealer.

However, both the roster and the AG regulations only apply to what dealers can sell, NOT what you can own. You can own, buy and transfer any handgun that isn’t an “assault weapon.” Private sales and frame transfers by willing dealers exist to get MA residents off-roster and non-regulation handguns.

Wait, really? Do you have more info on what the modifications need to be? Could make a nice cheap competition gun...
For Beretta mags you just have to cut and modify the existing mag catch on the magazines themselves. For Sigs it’s pretty much the same but there’s a little more work involved depending on the mag you have. You may have to cut into the top portion of the mag and trim the magazine follower a bit to help with feeding rounds into the gun.

I should note though that those modifications to the Sig mags make them no longer able to be used in the gun they were originally intended for, which is a huge gray area that hasn’t been tested in court. Some would argue that by doing this type of modification you have in fact simply manufactured a new magazine from an old one. So, take that and do what you want with it.

no you buy it out of state before you move at non rapey MSRP or less prices, and not the MA " I have a Gen5 Glock, it is made out of unobtanium, I want double the free state price for it"

Bring as many Glocks, AR's with most of the evil features removed ( compliant to AWB 1994) , Shockwaves or similar "firearms", and other guns as you can.

Read up on MA safe storage laws, don't get jammed up on those, also make friends with someone with a LTC-A that can hold your guns for you if the time to get a permit exceeds the statutory time you have to get the guns in state without filing a eFA-10 on them... and considering the track record of local PD's and the fact you probably don't have a MA compliant safety course certificate to give the local cops, you are better safe than sorry

I ended up with a Shadow Systems MR920 Elite, which use glock mags.

pix223244001.jpg

As someone that was in the same boat as you two years ago, here is what I would do...just advice from the internet, do what you want, lol.
  1. If you can, DON'T move here. This isn't hyperbole or exaggeration. The place is run by a cabal of corrupt fascists posing as woke communists to appeal to their voter base. They formulate policy based on how it can a) enrich themselves and their buddies and b) how it can appeal to their woke leftist moonbat fan base. That means you will be poorer and, as a gun owner, persecuted. I got a--no joke--50% raise when I moved here and have significantly less disposable income than when I lived in the south. It also means you will be prosecuted to the absolute hilt for any minor infraction or--god forbid--justified use of force.
  2. if you DO move here, do not bring anything expensive, collectible or of significant sentimental value. Authorities take your guns here at the drop of a hat (for instance, if you have a medical emergency and don't lock up your guns before you lose consciousness to comply with safe storage requirements they will be taken. There are lots of other examples where there is no due process and it usually costs an outrageous amount of time and money to get them back, and sometimes you can't).
  3. Bring the absolute minimum. Personal preference here, but if I can't get my guns back I don't want the bonded warehouse and the state getting any more of my money than absolutely necessary.
  4. Bring stuff that you don't have to register, i.e. anything not "large capacity." IIRC there is case law stating that you must EFA-10 any "large capacity" guns you bring with you. There is the silly list (which includes the glock 19 but not the 26, go figure) and also if you have a pre-ban in the gun it's considered large capacity (that is my understanding anyway; see the definition of "readily modifiable") . There was an illegal data dump recently where MA released info that could be used to possibly identify gun owners and discloses what guns they own. This might happen again.
  5. I just wouldn't fool around with pre-bans. They are more trouble than they are worth IMHO. Also they are quite expensive. See #2 and #4. I would only buy factory 10 round mags BTW.
  6. If possible, get pistols that are on the roster. I know this possibly conflicts with #4, as "roster" pistols may be hard to find outside of MA and you may have to buy them here, but see #2 and #3. If you don't know anyone with an LTC that will take your collection in the event of confiscation the police will transfer it to an FFL of your choosing (if you write them a letter within a week...OMG the laws here) OR a crappy bonded warehouse (see #3). Neither will transfer off-roster pistols back to you.
  7. There is no telling how the courts and police will actually interpret or enforce law, but I would assume it would be in the manner that is least advantageous to you. That means actual, marked 10 round mags, no mag-blocks, no assuming the AWB doesn't apply to an SBR etc.
Am I over-paranoid and taking this to the extreme? You betcha. But my goal is to minimize risk for the next year and a half until my GF finishes grad school and we move out of here. I want to minimize the chance of an expensive trip through the legal system during that time.

Best thing I can say is "don't move to MA"... I was an inmate of the PRM from 1997 to 2012 and will NEVER move back. I grew up (moved out in 1985) in that state, but still would NEVER live there again. The rent prices are simply INSANE in a lot of places, and house prices can be even more so.

There's no job, or relationship, that could get me to move there again. Hell, I might drive into the state a dozen times a year at this point. Mostly to visit family and a friend or two. That's it.

Living in NH, you don't need to deal with ANY of the insanity that's saturated the PRM/MA.

Anyone tried these?
Any thoughts on perm vs temp installation(think I know the answer)?

Anyone tried these?
Any thoughts on perm vs temp installation(think I know the answer)?
As far as I know the answer is the same as usual when it comes to MA laws - they're clear as mud so no one knows for sure. IIRC old ATF guidance (not law) from the federal AWB basically allowed permanent blocks by using epoxy but as far as I know there has been no case law on that in MA. It's the same thing as pin-and-welds for muzzle brakes and pins for stocks - no one knows what passes muster in MA so people either try to follow AWB94 guidance (again, not in the law specifically) and hope it's enough, or they do whatever else they're comfortable with.

That's some serious paranoia...

Got a link to the "case law" about having to eFA10 "large capacity" guns when moving from out of state?

Man I keep learning new MA gun law myths everyday on NES. This is another new one 🤣

Commonwealth v. Conelius

This is where I was getting it from. Maybe I misunderstood the implications. Let me know and I can correct my previous post.

Edited to add: I'm NOT a lawyer, but this would appear to be the applicable section:

"This court concluded that new residents of the Commonwealth and certain returning residents, by satisfying the firearm identification card exception set forth in G. L. c. 140, § 129C(j), thereby satisfy the firearm possession exception set forth in G. L c.269, § 10(a)(4), for a limited period of time, without also having to comply with the provisions of G. L. c. 140, § 131G (relating to nonresidents) [416-419]; however, satisfaction of the firearm identification card exception in § 129C(j) does not provide a defense to a charge of violating G. L c. 269, § 10(m), which prohibits the possession of a large capacity weapon without a license [419-420]."

Last edited:
Wait, really? Do you have more info on what the modifications need to be? Could make a nice cheap competition gun...
After reading this elsewhere and getting my hopes up, I tried my pre ban and post ban 10 round Beretta mags in three different Caniks and they all hang up at the mag catch until I press it, then it’ll insert all the way. In addition to that you need to make an additional cut in the mag for the Canik mag catch.

NEVER a requirement to register any gun that you move in with, period!!!! I must have misunderstood the discussion or case then.

No need to only have "on list" handguns, that is only a restriction on dealers not owners. I was saying that in the specific circumstance that your guns are confiscated and you can't find a buddy with an LTC, an FFL holder most likely won't transfer them back to you. Moving here with an off roster pistol or FTF purchasing an off-roster pistol is obviously fine.

Provable preban mags are also not a problem. Questionable ones could be a problem. See #5 and #7 in my post above...I realize they are "legal," but it seems like there is a >0% chance you will get jammed up for carrying a perfectly legal mag because of the ignorance or spitefulness of the government employee you are interacting with.

Back
Top Bottom