• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Modern bolt action: CZ 550 FS and Tikka T3 the only choice?

O/U

Hi folks,

I was just up at Kittery yesterday looking for a new deer rifle. I handled many, but was underwhelmed by the quality of most. The new Marlin 336's seem pretty rough and unwieldy, the Brownings had some questionable fit and finish issues as did the Remingtons. The Savages were nice but bulky. The Rugers weren't bad, but compared to the Tikka T3 and CZ's there was no comparison in terms of quality of wood and finish.

I was hoping to come home with a reasonably priced American made rifle, but was seriously underwhelmed. The Kimbers and Weatherby's were excellent, but out of the range of my budget.

So I was left with the light T3 and a gorgeous CZ Mannlicher-style 30-06. Any thoughts on current production rifles in the 600-700 dollar range? Does anyone have experience with the CZ 550 full stock rifles and how they might compare to the Tikka? This rifle would specifically be used for short to medium range deer and bear hunting in VT, NH and ME often in thick, piny cover.

Thanks!

I don't think you can go wrong with either. A local gun shop got in a CZ 550FS in 6.5x55, so it had to come home with me.
DSC02151.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

That European style stock fit me really well; sights lined up everytime I raise it. Haven't done a lot of shooting with it yet as I've been pretty tied up this past year.

Gorgeous rifle, Pat! Very classy!

I agree. When I picked up the CZ it seemed to fit me perfectly. It's a little bit heavier than I would like, but extremely comfortable.

I would probably opt for CZ in 30-06, though I've heard and read great things about the 6.5X55. Once I get into reloading a cartridge like the Swede will be more doable for me.

I'd love to hear more thoughts on the CZ if anyone has them. Thanks for the great pictures, Pat!

Did you know of the single-set trigger on the CZ? You can use it as you would normally (like any other trigger) and it is very nice for a hunting rifle. Or, you can push it forward, and then it is a set-trigger that will fire with just a few ounces of pull (adjustable).

The shop where I bought the CZ also has Tikka rifles. I think they are the T3 (synthetic stock, blue barrel). I have handled them quite a bit thinking "if I didn't already have too many hunting rifles, I would buy one of these".

There's also the Steyr ProHunter line. Not wood but pretty sweet. Only a little over your target price. Pretty sure Umlaut Arms has one in .308.[wink]

I would definitely stay away from the Kimber. They make very stylish looking rifles of the poorest quality and worst accuracy money can buy, this is well documented from many frustrated owners, myself included! I just bought a Tikka T3 Lite in stainless in 300WSM for under $700 (And no tax) at the Kittery Trading Post last week. Although Tikka guarantees 1 MOA out of the box, many shooters report even better accuracy. The 300 WSM can be loaded down to 110 gr for deer or varmint, or all the way past 200 gr for any animal in N America.
Best of luck with which ever rifle you choose.
Scott

Hi folks,

I was just up at Kittery yesterday looking for a new deer rifle. I handled many, but was underwhelmed by the quality of most. The new Marlin 336's seem pretty rough and unwieldy, the Brownings had some questionable fit and finish issues as did the Remingtons. The Savages were nice but bulky. The Rugers weren't bad, but compared to the Tikka T3 and CZ's there was no comparison in terms of quality of wood and finish.

I was hoping to come home with a reasonably priced American made rifle, but was seriously underwhelmed. The Kimbers and Weatherby's were excellent, but out of the range of my budget.

So I was left with the light T3 and a gorgeous CZ Mannlicher-style 30-06. Any thoughts on current production rifles in the 600-700 dollar range? Does anyone have experience with the CZ 550 full stock rifles and how they might compare to the Tikka? This rifle would specifically be used for short to medium range deer and bear hunting in VT, NH and ME often in thick, piny cover.

Thanks!

If you're telling me the fit and finish on a Browning (owned by FN and manufactured by Miroku in Japan) was unimpressive compared to the stamped steel barrel bolt Savage or the mass produced cast Rugers - man I just don't know what to say about that.......

But if you want to hunt with the rifle I would recommend staying away from wood stocks since you have the choice at this point. Take that advice for whatever its worth to you...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom