• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moderatly priced optics

SJan

NES Member
First of all, I'm not against spending mucho deniro on quality optics. I have an aimpoint micro on my go-to AR, a badass vortex on a precision AR, a trijicon RMR on a pistol, a couple of Eotechs on various toys ect ect

This particular project was supposed to be mid range price everything

Currently I have a primary arms aimpoint micro clone on a dedicated 22 AR. This sight has been trouble free and has held zero 100%. This sight has a 1 moa dot, but I want something bigger for the type of shooting this rifle is doing. I'm thinking I want a 6-8 moa dot, similar to the RMR I have on a pistol.

What is out there in the optics world at a moderate price point of $100 up to $200

my requirements are
1x with 6-8 moa dot
reticle must be clearly visible in bright sunlight
must hold zero
must be somewhat durable (No, I don't plan on throwing it down the stairs or dragging it down the road)
must mount at absolute co-witness height on a AR flattop
should be fairly lightweight

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not against spending mucho deniro on quality optics. I have an aimpoint micro on my go-to AR, a badass vortex on a precision AR, a trijicon RMR on a pistol, a couple of Eotechs on various toys ect ect

This particular project was supposed to be mid range price everything

Currently I have a primary arms aimpoint micro clone on a dedicated 22 AR. This sight has been trouble free and has held zero 100%. This sight has a 1 moa dot, but I want something bigger for the type of shooting this rifle is doing. I'm thinking I want a 6-8 moa dot, similar to the RMR I have on a pistol.

What is out there in the optics world at a moderate price point of $100 up to $200

my requirements are
1x with 6-8 moa dot
reticle must be clearly visible in bright sunlight
must hold zero
must be somewhat durable (No, I don't plan on throwing it down the stairs or dragging it down the road)
must mount at absolute co-witness height on a AR flattop
should be fairly lightweight

My friend bought a vortex strikefire last week. I'm not sure if it co-witness as it's a dedicated optics rifle. No front sight to speak of. He says it was on sale for 160$

I have a early model tasco pro point. Thing has,been rock solid and battery life has been very good. It has held zero on every gun it's been on. Lives up top my Tactical Solutions 22lr upper. Again it's optics only so you would need to play with mounts to get a co witness?
Both have what I consider large dots. At. Least 4moa
Here is the tasco it is 5MOA http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=163&ProductID=670

Last edited:
I saw those, its 4moa.... I'm looking into a cmore

I've got a C-More on a 22LR AR, with a 4 moa dot. It works well, but can be annoying to zero. It also won't turn itself off, so extra batteries are essential. Since you can swap out the dot size, used ones with small dots are still an option. Good sight, in total.

Last edited:
100 bucks is moderate??

I say a 100 bucks is super cheap!!

Seeing that a Night Force or equivalent scope is well into the 2000's, moderate would more equal 500 to 1500??

I love the completely useless responses where it is obvious the responder didn't read past the title.

This will be used for shooting steel plates, 10 and 12 inch circles, and 18x24 rectangles at a maximum distance of 35 yards. Speed is king, pinpoint accuracy is not needed.

Amazon will be delivering a 8 moa cmore railway iin 2 days... $214

I love the completely useless responses where it is obvious the responder didn't read past the title.

This will be used for shooting steel plates, 10 and 12 inch circles, and 18x24 rectangles at a maximum distance of 35 yards. Speed is king, pinpoint accuracy is not needed.

You know your going to get that on NES......although I will point out I don't see these details in your first post.

How many MOA is that dot. I can't find it in the description?

Will that sight co witness or will you need a riser? I'm setting up a 22 for my daughter next year and this might be a option.
Put a RRA entry stock on one of my lowers should fit her just right next year.

Last edited:

Does the railway mount at cowitness height?

Does the railway mount at cowitness height?

Looking around you would need this for co witness
http://www.amazon.com/C-MORE-System...sbs_200_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0X4WY2E3HDGGH6278HK4

And this one has the rear sight built in.
http://www.amazon.com/C-MORE-System...pebp=1437045279630&perid=1JY2YD6KAHM03DZZZSQH

- - - Updated - - -

Funny thing is Cmore never came up in my searches. Their web site descriptions are awful also.

Like to see the review.

Sorry for the noob question but why do you want such a big dot?

Just a guess but: Because steel plates don't care if you hit them dead center and at 35 yards the dot will be easy to pick up when transitioning amongst targets.

You know your going to get that on NES......although I will point out I don't see these details in your first post.

How many MOA is that dot. I can't find it in the description?

Will that sight co witness or will you need a riser? I'm setting up a 22 for my daughter next year and this might be a option.
Put a RRA entry stock on one of my lowers should fit her just right next year.
I didnt make that link. That was one of those advertising hot link things, that's not the exact one I ordered.
The standard railway mounted to an AR flattop will be the same plane as iron sights, this is what I want. It looks like the tactical railway has a spacer (also available separately) to bring it up to 1/3 co-witness. Then there is the john Conner edition with the rear buis built in.

Sorry for the noob question but why do you want such a big dot?

Just a guess but: Because steel plates don't care if you hit them dead center and at 35 yards the dot will be easy to pick up when transitioning amongst targets.

Faster sight picture acquisition. 8 moa is really not that big. The eotech big circle is 65 moa for reference.

Faster sight picture acquisition. 8 moa is really not that big. The eotech big circle is 65 moa for reference.

jeez zus........ thats for fast acquisiition of a side of a building ! you could not see your steel plates with that thing!

jeez zus........ thats for fast acquisiition of a side of a building ! you could not see your steel plates with that thing!

I disagree. I have 2 MOA & 4 MOA AimPoints and an 8 MOA dot would never cover an 8" plate at 100'. The 4 MOA turned up all the way blooms to about 8 MOA and at that distance its not problem.

I disagree. I have 2 MOA & 4 MOA AimPoints and an 8 MOA dot would never cover an 8" plate at 100'. The 4 MOA turned up all the way blooms to about 8 MOA and at that distance its not problem.

After looking at the 65MOA ring it's a open ring not a dot. So at 100 yards a 5'6"ish person would fit nicely in that ring.
8MOA dot at 100 feet would be around 2.75" or so ?

Update

8 MOA railway without any spacer is at the proper absolute co-whiteness iron sight height. The very observant guys here may notice I do not have iron sights, its all about cheek weld. Basically the dot is where I want it with this little gun shouldered. I sighted in at 30 yards using a target with 3" circle. The dot appeared to be pretty much exactly that size at that distance. Makes sense.... 8 MOA is 8" at 100 yards, half that is 4" at 50, half again 2" at 25...

So far I like it. I did shoot a steel challenge match at Harvard with it, but at the time I was still having feeding problems that ruined most of my times... I think I managed one clean trouble free run on each stage, with very promising times.

8 MOA railway without any spacer is at the proper absolute co-whiteness iron sight height. The very observant guys here may notice I do not have iron sights, its all about cheek weld. Basically the dot is where I want it with this little gun shouldered. I sighted in at 30 yards using a target with 3" circle. The dot appeared to be pretty much exactly that size at that distance. Makes sense.... 8 MOA is 8" at 100 yards, half that is 4" at 50, half again 2" at 25...

So far I like it. I did shoot a steel challenge match at Harvard with it, but at the time I was still having feeding problems that ruined most of my times... I think I managed one clean trouble free run on each stage, with very promising times.

Nice little unit there. Glad to see you found something you where looking for. It's not always easy. I'm venturing in the other direction in search of a really small moa dot. Looking at the leupold competition with 1/8 moa dot.

Back
Top Bottom