Model 6920 or M4 Carbine

Knicks

NES Member
I picked up a 6920 lower off gunbroker and am considering Form 1'ing it. The seller tells me it came off a 6920, the SN is LEXXXXXX. My question is what model would I put down if I choose to Form 1 the lower? The lower is marked as M4 Carbine, not 6920.

if it's marked M4 carbine, that's what you put. others probably have already, or the ATF added colt stuff to the eforms site, so it may automatically populate in a drop-down list.

Do NOT use the drop down list unless it is exactly the same as what is on the receiver. There are several entries that are in error and will bounce the form back. Most of the problems are with the description of the manufacturer.

The drop downs end up getting populated by prior applications regardless of whether the original form was approved or not.

Use exactly what is on the receiver.

The drop downs end up getting populated by prior applications regardless of whether the original form was approved or not.

yikes. i was hoping that the data would be pulled from the FFLs and then added to those lists. good bit of info to know--i let my stuff auto-populate for my last form 1 with the exception of caliber since i was the first one to do a 300BLK donkey show.

Sorry for the noob question, but if the lower was originally a complete 6920, does that mean you have to do a form 4 instead of 1 to SBR it?

Or is it form 1 cause the 6920 is not an SBR? So if I buy say, a new off the shelf LMT w/ 12" barrel, that would be form 4 since it's a fully assembled SBR already?

Sorry for the noob question, but if the lower was originally a complete 6920, does that mean you have to do a form 4 instead of 1 to SBR it?

Or is it form 1 cause the 6920 is not an SBR? So if I buy say, a new off the shelf LMT w/ 12" barrel, that would be form 4 since it's a fully assembled SBR already?

form 4 for a transfer of a title II firearm from the dealer to you.

form 1 is for if the rifle is already manufactured, and then you're "manufacturing" the title II firearm by SBRing it.

I have an approved Form one for the same Colt 6920 lower and it went through as "M-4 Carbine".

form 4 for a transfer of a title II firearm from the dealer to you.

form 1 is for if the rifle is already manufactured, and then you're "manufacturing" the title II firearm by SBRing it.

Juat to clarify. A form 4 transfer is a TAX PAID ($200) transfer of an NFA item and is typically either from a FFL to an individual or individual to individual. It is also for a transfer from an individual to a FFL.

A form 1 is to MAKE a NFA item. The same tax ($200) is paid in this case also. This is if you want to take a rifle or bare receiver, for example and make a SBR. A FFL can manufacture a firearm but the form 1 is to make a firearm, slightly different. A person makes, a manufacturer manufactures.

Whatever you put on the form can be irrelevant for model as typically there are so many variations of AR receivers it may go through. The problem would be if the form is compared to the receiver and markings do not match. The ATF has typically accepted specific examples of manufacturer markings and importers but even then they will sometimes approve forms that have slightly different listings on them.

Back
Top Bottom