• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Model 1911

I am looking into purchasing a new or used model 1911 for my enjoyment and collection. My only experience in the .45 caliber is my military days shooting the Colt 1911 (Navy-Expert). So, aside from my addictive behavior of collecting milsurp guns, what can anybody recommended to me as the best 1911 on the market today that may be bought in MA. Colt aside, as that is an automatic purchase for me to add to my aforementioned collection. I'm sure there are much better 1911s out here, please point me in a direction.

I just figured out how to read older posts and saw another thread on the subject. I'll keep this one though and say only clue me in on MA compliant guns.

Currently I own all .40 S&W pistols:
SIG P229
H&K USP
H&K USP Compact

Last edited:
If buying new... S&W 1911 Pro Series, they are about $1050 new. Or, the base model in stainless, they're about $750ish new.

The best production 1911, maybe. The BEST? Don't think so. [rolleyes]

Go here: www.sviguns.com

Note that SVI has 2 models on the original AFR and another 2 on the Target Roster. Compare the options and features SVI offers to S&W and tell us which is "best."

Just went to the SVI site. The problem I have there is I'm not THAT technically educated on every gun component and material to produce a qualified product on their gun-builder. Meaning, I could go through all the drop down menus and pick something, but the reality is I have no idea what makes one choice better/more suitable for the gun I'm building. With that said, much time and research would be needed to take advantage of actually building my gun from scratch.

Any ideas to make it work for me, i.e. hints on what to make sure I include in a design? Goal is a target .45 bare bones on accessories. I do not plan on adding any lasers, lights, match related gizzmos, etc. - just a straight up target shooter made of the right materials, well fitted to my hand and eye.

So, are all S&W 1911's available in MA? Or do I need to consider certain models, dates of manufacture, etc.?

Thanks in advance guys for your insight.

It's sad we can't buy any new Colt or SA's in MA. Sounds like you're looking for a Milspec shooter w/o all the bells and whistles.

Someday I'll move outta this damn state [angry]

The best production 1911, maybe. The BEST? Don't think so. [rolleyes]

Go here: www.sviguns.com

Note that SVI has 2 models on the original AFR and another 2 on the Target Roster. Compare the options and features SVI offers to S&W and tell us which is "best."

[hmmm]

SVI's site is horrible... where are the different models they build?! The "Infinity Traditional" model is on the approved list and is the only non race gun available to us, correct me if I'm wrong. Prices, specs? It's like the dumb leading the blind [rolleyes]

First, 45collector you read my mind as we must have been posting at the same time. :)

Secondly, another deadhead gun owner, we are a select few. [wink]

If you're looking for new your choices are limited to just a couple models. S&W, SVI, Para, Auto Ordinance. I'd stay away from Auto Ordinance as there are several posts here indicating they are cheap knockoffs that will give you problems. Some will post that thier AOs work fine and I'm sure they do, but the vast majority have problems with it.

As Nanerclip indicated, you cannot go wrong with a base model S&W 1911. I bought one from the original run and I couldn't be happier. You can get one used in the $500 range and they are reliable shooters. Most other 1911s like Springfield Armory, Kimber, Colt etc' are not on the approved handgun roster and demand a premium on the used market.

Smiles...
Most Smith Model 1911's are good to go here in MA...
The Pro Series model is a step up from their base model 1911's with larger extractor, polished feedramp, front strap checkering, etc.

My first S&W 1911 was the base model S/S 108282...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15709&isFirearm=Y

It's been 100% at about 4k rounds right now. Ignore the MSRP. I think I paid about $750ish new for mine about 5 months ago.

+1 to what Rockrivr1 said about the AO's.

I still find it amazing that people just want what they can't have...thus driving up the price of some of these non-MA compliant guns. Half the time people are buying them just because of this, first time buyers and upper middle class pseudo gun enthusiasts. It's just cool to them...

Although a hassle at times, there are plenty more choices of comparable or better quality guns that are on the list. I am not one of those that would pay a premium for a used gun just because you cannot get the newer model in MA.

This does not say I'm not an advocate in trying to change legislature via our democratic process under the vision of our inherent right to bear arms afforded to us by the 2nd Amendment.

Just frustration, I'm venting.

Hey, vent away. That's one of the main reason a forum exists, venting!!

If S&W would make a MA-compliant, GI/Milspec .45 1911, costing ~$600 brand new, I'd get over the external extractor and buy one up. I've tried all kinds of 1911's and only my Colt has stayed with me the entire time I've had my LTC.

BTW, there are a few other dead fans on this sight, I believe they keep it on the down low to avoid being called filthy hippies. [smile]

The "Infinity Traditional" model is on the approved list and is the only non race gun available to us, correct me if I'm wrong. Prices, specs? It's like the dumb leading the blind [rolleyes]

You're WRONG. And blind, if not dumb. [slap]

I specifically stated that there are TWO models on each of the TWO rosters. As you are obviously math-impaired, that's FOUR models, THREE of which are not "race guns."

For the OP, the Traditional Target model on the original AFR is the way to go. As the site is intended to allow clients to design a custom gun, which is basically all SVI builds, you won't see X, Y and Z models, as you will on the S&W or Para sites.

And for those babbling about AO - It's Ordnance; not "Ordinance." [rolleyes]

You're WRONG. And blind, if not dumb. [slap]

I specifically stated that there are TWO models on each of the TWO rosters. As you are obviously math-impaired, that's FOUR models, THREE of which are not "race guns."

For the OP, the Traditional Target model on the original AFR is the way to go. As the site is intended to allow clients to design a custom gun, which is basically all SVI builds, you won't see X, Y and Z models, as you will on the S&W or Para sites.

And for those babbling about AO - It's Ordnance; not "Ordinance." [rolleyes]

[hmmm] [rolleyes]

Thanks for the MATH lesson, but I was unaware of the configuration of the models. Why? Well, I already stated why... The problem is with the lack of information out there on the models they build. How does one know what model is what if their site doesn't even have specs listed? Is it a 2011, a 1911, WTF?! Every custom builder out there from STI, to Nighthawk to WC has pics, specs, and info on the models they build along with custom options/features.

I understand how their site is set up, BUT, specific MODELS are MA approved... where are they?! Specs, pricing? WTF?

[popcorn]

Is it a 2011, a 1911, WTF?! Every custom builder out there from STI, to Nighthawk to WC has pics, specs, and info on the models they build along with custom options/features.

I understand how their site is set up, BUT, specific MODELS are MA approved... where are they?! Specs, pricing? WTF?

There is no such thing as an SVI "2011." That is STI's term for its double-stack frame. STI being the other Texas firm; the one that hopelessly botched its Target Roster application by repeatedly ignoring directions and advice, then whined all over the USPSA forum about how it was abused. [rolleyes]

The MA models should be listed as such, with prices. This will be brought to SVI's attention.

In the meantime, serious shoppers need merely send an email inquiry.

Next crisis.

There is no such thing as an SVI "2011." That is STI's term for its double-stack frame. STI being the other Texas firm; the one that hopelessly botched its Target Roster application by repeatedly ignoring directions and advice, then whined all over the USPSA forum about how it was abused. [rolleyes]

The MA models should be listed as such, with prices. This will be brought to SVI's attention.

In the meantime, serious shoppers need merely send an email inquiry.

Next crisis.

Yes, it is STI's useage for double stack, "2011 style"... there, is that better?!

Serious shoppers?! That's funny. When researching my last 1911 purchase, SVI wasn't even considered due to the lack of information on their site. I shouldn't have to call or e-mail a company to learn what they are trying to sell.

Well, if it means anything, I just bought an AO and it's not bad at all. Yes, it's overpriced like all 1911s in this state, but it's the only option if you're looking for a milspec gun that's not pre-owned.

Mind you, I thoroughly looked the gun over before making my decision. The earlier AOs made by Numrish in West Hurley were complete pieces of crap. I'd avoid those like the plague (and the AMTs).

Serious shoppers?! That's funny. When researching my last 1911 purchase, SVI wasn't even considered due to the lack of information on their site. I shouldn't have to call or e-mail a company to learn what they are trying to sell.

[rofl]

No-one else seems to have that impediment. Perhaps you just couldn't handle the vast array of options available when designing a gun.

The fact that the waiting period for an SVI runs to about a year indicates that:

1. There is no shortage of those capable of comprehending the purpose and usage of the SVI site; and

2. They are also capable of paying for specialty guns and waiting while they are built to spec.

But S&W makes a fine production 1911; those seeking a double-stack are advised to get a Para Ordnance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom