• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Model 19 Redux

While I do get the utility of stainless, in the event I am seen out and about with a six gun, it's going to blue and wood.

Ya I just miss the old timey bluing that you got back in the 80s. The pictures I saw online of the finish on the 19 PC looked awfully matte and quite cheap.
According to gun shop gurus (ha) the "new" bluing process is no where near as resilient as the old besides not looking as nice.

Ya I just miss the old timey bluing that you got back in the 80s. The pictures I saw online of the finish on the 19 PC looked awfully matte and quite cheap.
According to gun shop gurus (ha) the "new" bluing process is no where near as resilient as the old besides not looking as nice.

The new model 19 PC looks more like the finish on the 586 L-Comp, which is to say, a matte finish all the way. I don't like the matte finish, either, but it is what it is. It's interesting that, unlike the 586 L-Comp, they say the barrel on the 19PC is stainless steel and the frame is carbon steel. The regular new model 19 looks like a gloss blue finish and also has the stainless barrel. Two-part barrel?

It's interesting that, unlike the 586 L-Comp, they say the barrel on the 19PC is stainless steel and the frame is carbon steel................ Two-part barrel?

Smith-1.jpg

Sleeved they call it. Allegedly it results in more consistent "clocking" of the front sight, which I can see with crush fit barrel installation, and supposedly is more resistant to forcing cone cracking, which as we all know is the down fall of the older guns. This obviously is the 4 inch blued gun.

I can not yet speak for the 19, but I do have a recent manufacture 29 Classic, and the blueing is very presentable. Wear wise, I don't know as I don't really pack it around, there not being a lot of pachyderms or large bears lurking in the brush on Cape Cod.

Depends on what you are going to do with it, I would go 66.

I have a 586 l-comp. And it's OK. The sight radius is really short, and I had to try some variations to get a grip that fit my hands right. The rosewood laminates that come with the gun are great looking, but I think are better suited to cartoon hands. I finally ended up shaving down some VZ g10 grips.

The 66 is a more handsome gun and I'm sure its nicer to shoot.

IMG_7594.JPG

View attachment 233752

Sleeved they call it. Allegedly it results in more consistent "clocking" of the front sight, which I can see with crush fit barrel installation, and supposedly is more resistant to forcing cone cracking, which as we all know is the down fall of the older guns. This obviously is the 4 inch blued gun.

I can not yet speak for the 19, but I do have a recent manufacture 29 Classic, and the blueing is very presentable. Wear wise, I don't know as I don't really pack it around, there not being a lot of pachyderms or large bears lurking in the brush on Cape Cod.

I definitely consider the newer design desirable in some respects. I've often thought of getting a stainless one. Anyway, the sleeved barrel came to mind because, while there is a process for hot bluing stainless steel, I would guess that matching the appearance of blued stainless with blued carbon steel wouldn't happen on its own. But if it's "sleeved" and the sleeve is carbon steel like the frame, problem solved.

I don't see a difference in the quality of the blued finish between a 27-3 and 27-9. There might be a difference that would be apparent under some lighting conditions. I don't know, but I'll bet a lot of people are comparing the modern matte black finish on a newer Smith to the gloss blue finish on an older Smith rather than the gloss blue finish of a newer Smith & Wesson "classic" to the gloss blue finish on an older Smith.

That is probably just an Allen screw. Figure where you want it and add loctite. Or just remove it completely if you don’t want it.

I went and looked at my 686, and was kind of surprised it has only a roll pin there as well, and on that gun the roll pin doesn't even come close to touching the frame, so it aint stopping a whole lot.

No idea if it makes any difference or not, just that I was sort of expecting to seeing an allen there.

Multiple things come to mind.

1. I don't know if they do this anymore, but in some models they put a stop rod inside the trigger return spring to limit over-travel.
2. I guess the roll pin is "adjustable" by virtue of being cheap and replaceable. You just grind it down until it is exactly as long as you want it to be.
3. The metal on the roll pin is probably a lot softer than the frame. Small screws might need to be hardened?
4. It's kind of standard on PC guns, but I thought it was really weird to emphasize on that particular model. Who cares about a fraction of a millimeter of over-travel on a defensive carry gun in the first place?

P&R Model 19 has always been on my list, would make a nice companion piece to my 15-3. I don't carry mine much any longer, but every time I've taken it out I've always been amazed at how well it points and shoots.

Hmmmmm - when did they stop Pinning and Recessing? Would P&R be C&R?

Back
Top Bottom