• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Model 15 / Model 10 cylinder stuck

Figured I'd ask the NES braintrust before resigning myself to going to a smith.

On the last cylinder of the range trip yesterday (naturally), the cylinder on my S&W Model 15 (which is basically a Model 10 with adjustable sights, for reference) will not open.

The cylinder can wiggle a little bit, but that's about it. The hammer will not go all the way back, either. I checked what I believe to be the usual suspect--a backed out ejector rod, but that doesn't seem to be the culprit. I tapped on it with a rubber mallet and it won't come out, and it looks like even when I can see light between the rod and the detent and the retaining area under the barrel, the cylinder won't swing out. I removed the grips and the sideplate and I don't see anything that looks wrong, but I really don't know what to look for as this is the only DA revolver that I own.

Are there any other common/basic things to check?

Did you have a squib ?
Can u see light at the barrel/cylinder gap ?
I don't believe there was a squib. A few times I've gotten the cylinder to swing partially out, maybe a quarter of the way. Far enough that the ejector rod was clear. So I don't think the rod has anything to do with it. It's like there's something binding the cylinder from coming loose. I'll double check tonight to see if it's possible it's around the barrel, but I don't think so. Good suggestion though.

http://practicalperformance.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Sw-exploded-revolver.jpeg
The only thing(s) that can retain the cylinder besides a bullet stuck between the cylinder and barrel
is the center pin (no. 2) not being pushed out of the frame by the bolt (no. 22)
The center pin also pushes the locking bolt (no. 66) out of the way also but you mentioned you can
see light thru there.
If you have the side plate off you're half way there !

http://practicalperformance.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Sw-exploded-revolver.jpeg
The only thing(s) that can retain the cylinder besides a bullet stuck between the cylinder and barrel
is the center pin (no. 2) not being pushed out of the frame by the bolt (no. 22)
The center pin also pushes the locking bolt (no. 66) out of the way also but you mentioned you can
see light thru there.
If you have the side plate off you're half way there !
Interesting, it sounds like that might the case then. I had read something on a different forum about it possibly being an issue with the hand. Mine can move freely. I'm not even sure how I'd go about removing a squib like that though? Would the barrel have to be removed?

Well that will teach me to type so slow, so your problem is the cylinder is not swinging out ??
sounds like the screw that holds the crane in is buggered, but if you have the side plate off then that can't be it.
Sounds like it's problem with the crane/frame connection and not the "cylinder"

and saw your other post,if you can get the cyl. open a1/4 of the way it's not a squib.

Well that will teach me to type so slow, so your problem is the cylinder is not swinging out ??
sounds like the screw that holds the crane in is buggered, but if you have the side plate off then that can't be it.
Sounds like it's problem with the crane/frame connection and not the "cylinder"

and saw your other post,if you can get the cyl. open a1/4 of the way it's not a squib.
It's strange; twice by playing around with it, I got the cylinder partially out and twice I've been able to fully cock the hammer and then lower it while holding the trigger. Other than that, it won't come out much at all, and I'm not sure how I got it in that state twice.

I fired 25 rounds on Sunday and 25 rounds yesterday. The only other thing I can think of is that someone I let try the revolver did the "Hollywood" thing and flicked the cylinder close with his wrist. However, I was able to open it after that and then this happened on the next cylinder.

Have you tried twisting the ejector rod back, that is the only reason I have ever had an S&W hang up like you describe.

The rod is LEFT HAND THREAD.

Have you tried twisting the ejector rod back, that is the only reason I have ever had an S&W hang up like you describe.

The rod is LEFT HAND THREAD.
I've tried it. The fact that I've gotten the rod clear of the lug under the barrel a couple of times makes me think it's not the issue, unless there's a point near the cylinder where it could bind.

Is it left hand threaded from the point of view of the rear or from the muzzle? I've tried to wiggle it both ways without success.

Well that will teach you to lend out your toys !!

I did once get a piece of grit or something between the frame and crane where it pivots, made it rough but
not locked up.
Take the crane screw out and see if that helps, fiddle with the revo till you get the crane/cyl. swung out again
and see if you can remove the crane from the frame, then inspect.

Is this a newer or older Model 15 ?

Well that will teach you to lend out your toys !!

I did once get a piece of grit or something between the frame and crane where it pivots, made it rough but
not locked up.
Take the crane screw out and see if that helps, fiddle with the revo till you get the crane/cyl. swung out again
and see if you can remove the crane from the frame, then inspect.

Is this a newer or older Model 15 ?
I have heard of unburnt powder getting stuck behind the star as well. At least I have a few more things to try tonight.

The serial indicates it was made in 1980. If I saw correctly the person that borrowed it fiddled a little with the cylinder once when it was closed, too, as in wiggled it a little. Feels like the majority of firearm problems I've had through the years have been from others!

This revolver has become my second favorite handgun, so I'd really like to get it working without damaging it!
I might be able to put up some photos tonight.

It is opposite of what you are used to, try turning it to loosen (counter-clockwize looking at muzzle)
Sounds good. Not easy when it's in place, but I'll try. I don't think it's the culprit since I have gotten it clear, and once I used covered pliers to pull back the retaining pin to the point where I could see daylight, and the cylinder still wouldn't swing out. Worth trying again, though.

It's fixed! It was a squib after all. I went back to it tonight and when I was able to swing the cylinder a bit, I noticed some copper color at the front of the cylinder. I got a cleaning rod and a rubber mallet and I was able to tap in back into the case enough to pop out the cylinder.

I'm wondering what caused the squib; I haven't pulled it yet but I can hear a little powder in there. Maybe too tight a crimp? Too light a charge? It's weird, I read online that someone did just a primer and a bullet with no powder at all and it cleared the gap.

Strange. First time for everything I guess.

Thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom